PDA

View Full Version : First grow drying time, shoebox and silica gel y/n?

thetownbike
05-02-10, 06:53 PM
Hows it going I finally got round to cutting my plants this week, thanks to THCtalk members for helping me through Ph and feeding problems (I think I may have gone too far with the feeding towards the end, leaves went from pale green and dying to dark purple, burning at the tips and dying) but got there in the end.

Lavender feminised, a month growth then 9 or 10 weeks flower (cold night temps, low-ish watt lights and inexperienced hands didnt help)

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/hm.jpg

You can see where the top colas on the bigger plant grew into the lights and got fried, afterward growing big mutant caggage leaf type things where there heads were (next time more careful with LST :rvmp:)

Since I dont have a tent or big enough light to dry them in like the pros, how does a shoebox with one of those silical gel packs in it sound? I know drying too fast is bad for the taste but they are waaay damp right now.:joint:

Eggbox
05-02-10, 07:16 PM
Shoebox with string tied through it and holes in the side for air circulation - yes

Silica gel? NO! It's a known cancer causing compound and is not for use on anything vaguely ingestible(to be eaten/taken/smoked). It can fuck you right up - do NOT use silica gel :)

edit: congrats on your harvest btw, looks beautiful!

Cannabisni
05-02-10, 07:59 PM
Make sure the shoebox dosent smell of leather or your buds will end up tasting and smelling of it.

Bong_on_1988
05-02-10, 09:21 PM
Well done mate good first grow time to move on to the next.

thetownbike
06-02-10, 08:30 PM
Eh right cheers, silical gel goes out the window then, hopefully won't get any unnecessary cancers from the time its been in so far.

Shoebox with string tied through it and holes in the side for air circulation - yes

Can you elaborate on the string tied through it? I'm finding it hard to imagine, is it something like using a wick to drain moisture?

up2nogood
20-02-10, 07:52 PM
Hows it going I finally got round to cutting my plants this week, thanks to THCtalk members for helping me through Ph and feeding problems (I think I may have gone too far with the feeding towards the end, leaves went from pale green and dying to dark purple, burning at the tips and dying) but got there in the end.

Lavender feminised, a month growth then 9 or 10 weeks flower (cold night temps, low-ish watt lights and inexperienced hands didnt help)

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/hm.jpg

You can see where the top colas on the bigger plant grew into the lights and got fried, afterward growing big mutant caggage leaf type things where there heads were (next time more careful with LST :rvmp:)

Since I dont have a tent or big enough light to dry them in like the pros, how does a shoebox with one of those silical gel packs in it sound? I know drying too fast is bad for the taste but they are waaay damp right now.:joint:

hi pal,I have done this earlier,its a box but bigger then maybe the one you will be using but you get the idea mate

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/resized_100_0686.JPG