PDA

View Full Version : Weird Bud With Pics?

illearth67
09-07-10, 12:37 PM
Hi guys
I was dissecting a particularly large and dense cola into more sizeable chunks for storage and came across these weird deposits that I don't recognise.
There is a dark sooty looking deposit near the top and further down a white sticky deposit.
The cola was dried for 8 days at 18c 28% humidity in a dark and well ventilated closet.
I didn't have this on any of the other plants so I wonder if anyone else knows what it is and most importantly is it OK to smoke?
Any ideas anyone?

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac249/illearth67/weirdbud1.jpg

Mc Mellow
09-07-10, 12:45 PM
Need a more clear picture really, if its mold dont smoke it.

PG
09-07-10, 12:46 PM
The pics a bit blurry, but your description sounds like it could be budrot. Does the affected area pull away easily from the stem? If it does then I'd be pretty sure it's budrot. Not a good idea to smoke but you can bubble hash it. The spores/mould floats to the top of the water and can be skimmed off.

dekay
09-07-10, 12:46 PM
Quite a bad pic mate cant really tell whats what.:)

illearth67
09-07-10, 12:53 PM
hey guys sorry about the pics but yeh percy's right the dark stuff is rot for sure the bud just pulls off the stem and smells weird too but still not sure about the white stuff it is like white sticky resin actually covering the bud and it is WEIRD!:(

PG
09-07-10, 01:11 PM
I think the white stuff is part of the same infection, just at a different stage. I'd thoroughly check the rest of your harvest just in case any more is infected, you need to isolate the rot from the rest of the bud or it'll continue to spread.

wert
09-07-10, 01:30 PM
good advice from percy,just to add make sure you cut all the rot away even sacrificing some decent bud near the infection as even a small amount left on may cause further problems in the curing jar.

illearth67
09-07-10, 02:33 PM
I think the white stuff is part of the same infection, just at a different stage. I'd thoroughly check the rest of your harvest just in case any more is infected, you need to isolate the rot from the rest of the bud or it'll continue to spread.

yes percy I thought as much myself but was still hoping against hope someone would say different.
The white "resin" has got to be just an earlier stage of the putrefaction.
I have finished cutting it up now and came across a few more patches of both black and white rot and have disposed of it and left the surrounding bud spread out on a drying board and am hoping fo the best.
I haven't lost a lot to the rot yet so long as it doesn't spread, does anyone know the best conditions to make sure it doesn't infected the healthy bud.
Could I spray it with peroxide solution or something?
Any advice is appreciated guys thanks again.

up2nogood
09-07-10, 02:45 PM
hi mate..wouldn't the peroxide just bleach the bud but not kill the mold? and also if you did spray it with hydrogen peroxide it may do your lungs no good if you do decide to smoke the bud..

illearth67
09-07-10, 03:06 PM
hi mate..wouldn't the peroxide just bleach the bud but not kill the mold? and also if you did spray it with hydrogen peroxide it may do your lungs no good if you do decide to smoke the bud..

Hi mate I reckon the peroxide will kill the mould spores but I'm not sure what other effects it might have and like you say the peroxide might damage the bud in some way so I'm hoping somwone who knows what's best will drop in soon at the moment ALL the bud from the infected cola is in quarantine and I'm a bit worried tbh cos this is a lot of my personal stash at stake here mate.....SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!:(

wert
09-07-10, 03:43 PM
cut.......it........out

illearth67
09-07-10, 03:50 PM
hi wert as far as I can tell I have cut it all out does that mean It's safe? can there be spores left on the healthy looking bud I can't see?
the remaining bud LOOKS healthy now.

up2nogood
09-07-10, 03:58 PM
as far as you know illearth you have cut out probably 99% of the spores but it only take a few spores to ruin it even more ..have you a good magnifying glass?

up2nogood
09-07-10, 03:59 PM
cut.......it........out

"cut it out"!! I haven't been misbehaving wert :)

illearth67
09-07-10, 04:11 PM
as far as you know illearth you have cut out probably 99% of the spores but it only take a few spores to ruin it even more ..have you a good magnifying glass?

I have a x20 scope nogood and can't see any spores with it but I'm not an expert in identifying spores either mate so that doesn't count formuch.
keeping my fingers crossed and checking 1/2 hourly.:rolleye:

wert
09-07-10, 04:12 PM
there is the possibility of spores in your drying room and grow room ,you should give both and the rest of your grow equipment a thorough cleaning when you are clear of this crop.
if you have cut away the budrot and the surrounding flowers the best thing to do now is not try and dry the colas whole,break them down to smaller flower clusters and check them regularly for any signs.

illearth67
09-07-10, 04:17 PM
there is the possibility of spores in your drying room and grow room ,you should give both and the rest of your grow equipment a thorough cleaning when you are clear of this crop.
if you have cut away the budrot and the surrounding flowers the best thing to do now is not try and dry the colas whole,break them down to smaller flower clusters and check them regularly for any signs.

OK wert cheers I have broken up the infected cola into smaller buds and spread it on a drying board for now and keeping it under observation.
there's no sign of further rot thank goodness.
but yes you're right I'll need to give everything a good scrub to be on the safe side.
any idea how long I need to keep up the quarantine for?

up2nogood
09-07-10, 04:18 PM
maybe make some hash mate so the spores fly up and out of the bud when you Sieving the bud across the silk screen..

Icon
09-07-10, 04:48 PM
Calm Down, Calm Down, Calm Down
Listen oh Earthly one. Tis a bit of bud rot, the cola may have suffered a little starvation near the end and died prematurely, the mould tends only to infect the dead area, just cut it away and keep the rest, but keep it separate from the other just in case, always a good idea to have a clean down between crops but dont panic, all will be well, its not like dutch elm disease
The white stuff i think may be resin that has not been attacked and has formed into crystal pools of milky white resin at a guess, I could be wrong but hard to tell from pics im afraid

up2nogood
10-07-10, 03:36 PM
think illearth has sorted the problem out now mate..he was just a bit worried if his prized massive cola rot could have spread..but he mostly cut it all out so hope its all better now..I wouldn't want my cola the size of his to spread rot would you :)

illearth67
11-07-10, 12:14 AM
hi guys thanks so much for all the advice and concern btw.
just to let you know that after 24 hours in quarantine on a drying board the remaining healthy bud wasn't affected by rot so I've put it in jars to cure now and will check every day or so but I'm safe enough now I think.
I only lost about 10g of a 2.5 cola so I was lucky but let that be a warning to everyone.
My cola showed NO outward signs of budrot it was only when I had dried it and was slicing it up that I found it because only some of the inner bud near the stem had rotted.
Budrot is usually caused by poor airflow but my grow room has excellent ventilation and this is the first time I have had it so hope it will be the last.

Icon
13-07-10, 11:00 PM
Illearth.
Im thinking as its your hydro first grow there may be quite a bit more density to your buds compared to a soil grow and also a denser canopy of bud may have possibly contributed to the dreaded bud rot.
I have a dehumidifier in at the end of flowering to keep the chance of BR down and like to keep the colas separated where possible with a netting.

illearth67
16-07-10, 05:21 PM
llearth.
Im thinking as its your hydro first grow there may be quite a bit more density to your buds compared to a soil grow and also a denser canopy of bud may have possibly contributed to the dreaded bud rot.
I have a dehumidifier in at the end of flowering to keep the chance of BR down and like to keep the colas separated where possible with a netting.

hi Icon thanks what you say makes sense mate because that was one of the densest colas I've ever produced but it defeats the point if you lose it to budrot.
Like you say now I'm a hydro grower I may have to take steps to lower humidity during flower and a DH sounds like a wise investment so I'll look into it.
thanks again mate.