PDA

View Full Version : why is weed damp from harvest useless, but wet weed you buy gets you battered ?

wheelchair
01-08-10, 08:49 PM
hi all.

I need someone to explain this to me.

My weed is 5 days from chop. If i dry a bit out (its still damp) it tastes like shit and doesnt get me high. Even the popcorn that is dry is the same.

I buy wet weed all the time, but it gets me high (when it actully burns).

Is the damp weed we buy damp from a cure, or has it been dried then had moisture added for £££?

if the later, does this mean it has to be dry to become active, but then adding moisture back to it doesnt matter?

Im confused? Help me out here.

Pink_tiger
01-08-10, 08:52 PM
i doubt dealers cure tbh. but maby you chopped to early/late or didnt flush properly. idk maby someone else can advise better x

Ganesha
01-08-10, 09:50 PM
Are you sure you're growing cannabis? Do your plants have strange round red things hanging from the branches? If so, you won't get high from the leaves no matter how dry they are.

Try picking the red things & putting them in a salad.

Other than that I can't help you. Even the shite-est homegrown should give you some kind of buzz.

Sorry, that's taking the piss.

*contrite* :(

What strain are you trying to grow?

Naxx
01-08-10, 09:51 PM
my shit is 2 weeks from chop and if i chop a bit of it gets me real high, but i dry it completly with a steam method in the microwave...

maybe when dealers chop it and packages it slightly damp is has cured slighlty by the time it gets to a buyer?

Up_in_smoke
01-08-10, 10:02 PM
I got some weed tonight that is damp and bitty as fuck. I reckon they dried it too fast and it felt bone dry. Bagged it up and then in the bag the water from the stalk has come through and evened it all out as damp.
I would imagine a lot of dealers go on like this.

If it don't get you high, I'd question are you sure you're 5 days from the chop. Are you going by time or by the trichs? If the former, get a scope, you may have time still to go

wheelchair
01-08-10, 10:22 PM
Ok people, they were chopped 5 days ago, trichs were 20% amber, so they cant have been chopped to early (although i realise some may say this is early).

The stuff i dried was a little damp in the stem but otherwise ok. If your saying this should be getting me high at this point then WTF did i do wrong?

They are Diesel ryders by the way.

Ganesha
01-08-10, 10:28 PM
Well you should have got stoned off them..Perhaps a little para too as they were early.

If you got nothing either your tolerance is way too high or else, er, I don't know. Stumped.

Anyone?

wheelchair
01-08-10, 10:32 PM
Well you should have got stoned off them..Perhaps a little para too as they were early.

If you got nothing either your tolerance is way too high or else, er, I don't know. Stumped.

Anyone?

I honestly dont think they were that early at 20% amber. I have been smoking some tasty weed though, but hadnt that day so surely it cant be down to tollerance...

Ill try a spliff after work tommorow and see what happens then, the poorest weed can smash me then. bad times.

wheelchair
01-08-10, 10:34 PM
Also, are people saying that when you buy weed damp its from fresh? not damp from a cure, cos if thats the case why bother with the cure, as all that stuff is fine when its dried out.

greenfingers 79
01-08-10, 10:52 PM
try growing decent weed mate, lol
damp weed could have and probably has been sprayed with something to add weight probably the spray that gets you high but so would petrol if you snorted it,
i recently invested in a decent scope and found lots of horror off dealer brought weed

wheelchair
01-08-10, 10:55 PM
try growing decent weed mate, lol

Ive got a 2' bubba kush still in veg, if that doesnt get me high when flowered, i think i may quit the weed.........

Quang
01-08-10, 10:57 PM
Not sure on the dealer wet weed , does sound as if they never dried it to reatain moiture as it loses three quarters of it's weight drying ??
On you'r own , yes it was cut kinda early , how long did you let it run ?
Rider's AKA rudalias isn't a potent smoke , it's a creeper , you'd be there waiting for the high , then wham bam thank you man you'll be staring into space .

Pink_tiger
01-08-10, 11:12 PM
Dealer weed is usually damp from crop not from cure. They dry it fast to touch so it seams dry when you buy but then as it in the bag/tub it cures and draws the moisture from the inside out. That's why if we buy weed we normally cure it for a few days before. The bloke I know crops by pistles so most of his is cropped too early which is why iv told him to get a scope and crop by 50-70% Amber trics and why I'm also growing my own. I would probably say yours needs curing a bit then try some. But next crop I would leave a bit longer Hun x

dekay
01-08-10, 11:14 PM
Drying/curing is important because parts of the plant become active that wouldnt if u smoke it straight away, in other words it gets stronger but also a good slow dry/cure with oxygen (burping in jars) breaks down chlorphyl and it tastes better too, its more complicated than that but thatll do. Decent wet bud would be better proper dried. You didnt quick dry what u tried did you, maybe its just not strong enough for you, i have had loads of strains i wouldnt do again.

jobby2812
02-08-10, 12:18 AM
I've found a quick dry is never the same as leaving the plant to dry properly. Doesn't matter how far into flower the plant is. There is something in the drying and the breaking down of thc that makes it more potent. If you dry to quick the chemical change isn't the same as if you dried it slowly and properly.

As for wet dealer crappy shite weed and it's been a couple of years since I last had any of that. I can only assume they dry it properly. By the time it does get to the end dealer it's had a chance to cure a bit. The end dealer then realises he isn't going to get that much back for what he sells, or at least that is what it was like before the crappy £10 a gram. The end dealer then decided to weigh the buds down by wetting them thus giving them extra weight for less bud.

Around my way an oz used to go for around £140. Selling that as 3.5 grams for £25 you would only end up with £60 profit. Is it really worth it having an oz of weed lying around then having 8 different people coming to your door at all hours of the day. Your risking getting caught for £60 profit and probably out of that £60 you would have had to fork out for petrol to go and get it in the first place. If you don't want people on your door then there is more petrol involved in distributing it. All of a sudden your down to £10-£20 profit (that's not including your time involved) for an oz. I dunno about you lot but I earn more for going to work for a day and know I ain't going to get dobbed in for dealing.

Think about it. If you were to sell grams or 8th's is it really worth it for say £20 profit. I sure as hell know I would do something to improve my profit. Especially with the risk involved.

Adambomb
02-08-10, 01:51 AM
i'm smokin month cured bud now,it is infinitely superior in taste and potency to the wet/quickdried testers 6 weeks ago.fact.

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 01:56 AM
It will be lol ^^^ xxx

Ganesha
02-08-10, 11:30 AM
Which reminds me, (quotes from lots of the above), anyone got a good idea for a 'quick-dry' jar? I want to smoke some early popcorn from my girls but I just hate putting the poor little buds in the oven for 20 mins. Couldn't I set up a jar with some hydroscopic stuff to suck the moisture out over a few hours? I know you'd still get the chlorophyll bitterness (putting it in the dark wouldn't make any difference over a 3-4 hours), but its got to be better than the fucking grill or oven, hasn't it?

I can manage a jar & support system over the 'medium'. Wot's a good household chemical to use? I don't have enough collected little silica gel packets to make it work...

Any amateur chemists care to advise?

9Samurai
02-08-10, 11:44 AM
I can't remember what chemical it is, but you can buy stuff called Kontrol Moisture Absorbing Crystals (I think) online and in loads of places - Wilko's etc.

Put that under your weed on a mesh in a bucket. It turns to liquid as it dehumidifies!

Ganesha
02-08-10, 12:02 PM
I can't remember what chemical it is, but you can buy stuff called Kontrol Moisture Absorbing Crystals (I think) online and in loads of places - Wilko's etc.

Put that under your weed on a mesh in a bucket. It turns to liquid as it dehumidifies!

That sound exactly the sort of ticket I'm after. There's a Wilkos down on the Market, I'll pop in when I sign on Wednesday. Cheers M8! :)

(I used to know someone who worked in the Movers trade & he had access to big, fuck off bags of silica gel. They used them for drying out big shipping containers. Great for drying out your car after a leak or an accident. I lost contact with the bloke, alas, or I'd already have phoned him...)

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 12:18 PM
I was just about to ask about silica gel lol iv got a bag that the dogs pulled out of a teddy :)

Ganesha
02-08-10, 12:25 PM
If it's the genuine article P_t keep it for future use. You sure it is? Shirley not? You couldn't stuff a teddy with that - first time kid takes it to the bathroom it'd swell & burst unhappily for all concerned.

Or am I wrong?

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 12:28 PM
Yeah it's definatly silica Hun. I used to work in retail so used a lot of it. It was in a bag, I'm assuming to prevent it getting damp x

Ganesha
02-08-10, 12:43 PM
Useful stuff. Once it's spent you can dry it out in the oven again. Nice find! :)

Eggbox
02-08-10, 01:37 PM
I really wouldn't use scilica gel to dry anything you'd smoke.. It's a horrible carcinogen and has been known to cause cancer. The last thing you want to do is put it near your smoke! Even if it will dry it fast :) IMO, of course

Pink the reason it's in a bag is so it doesnt come into contact with anything but can still absorb moisture :laugh:

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 01:41 PM
:P I know :)

Would you still not use it even if it never touches your gear eggbox x

stormdrum
02-08-10, 01:46 PM
On the subject of silica absorbing moisture, as silly as it sounds it might be worth trying white rice for sucking out moisture. Its a trick I learnt for wet electrics, all you do is put the wet item in a bag of white rice, seal it and stick it in a warm place, leave for a while and the rice absorbs all the water, might not work on your bud but its a handy tip if you soak your mobile, mp3 player etc.

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 01:48 PM
I once dropped my phone in a glass of water. I put it in the airing cupboard and it dried out an worked fine :)

Ganesha
02-08-10, 02:29 PM
I really wouldn't use scilica gel to dry anything you'd smoke.. It's a horrible carcinogen and has been known to cause cancer. The last thing you want to do is put it near your smoke! Even if it will dry it fast :) IMO, of course

Pink the reason it's in a bag is so it doesnt come into contact with anything but can still absorb moisture :laugh:

Oww!! Egg, I had no idea. Sounds nasty, no wonder it's kept bagged up.

Cheers for the Heads Up. Lol @ P_t, a fucking teddy full of it??

I reckon we'd all prefer a teddy full of P_t, eh Boys?? ;)

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 02:40 PM
Pmsl well the fella likes it :) eggbox has the added advantage off seeing my facebook mind. Th teddy wasn't full of it but there was a sack of it in there about the size of one of those bean bags we had a school on sports days x

wheelchair
02-08-10, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies people, ive just got home from work and had a blast and im part of the way there, but not quite. Maybe the strain isnt for me as some have suggested. Maybe i need to cure it and find out how much better it gets lol.

I have another of the same age that has not come down yet as i wanted to compare the hits with different percentage of amber. Its sitting at about 35-40% amber now. im gonna wait till its well over half and see if that does the job for me. :)

As to the damp cured weed from dealers, i suppose it makes sense that if it was wet in the first place and then spent lots of time in sealed baggies it would cure abit. So the general consensus is that dealers do not cure weed lol?

Thanks guys and gals.

jobby2812
02-08-10, 11:29 PM
Pmsl well the fella likes it :) eggbox has the added advantage off seeing my facebook mind. Th teddy wasn't full of it but there was a sack of it in there about the size of one of those bean bags we had a school on sports days x

Are you sure it's not one of those bags you put into the microwave for a minute. You then put it back into the bear and it will provide warmth for a few hours.

Pink_tiger
02-08-10, 11:32 PM
yeah im pretty sure lol

Roid-smoker
03-08-10, 02:29 PM
I was very surprised when i got to taste some quick dried stuff from a homie of mine. Straight from chop to smoke. instead of drying it in the owen, he wrapped it in wet newspaper and put it on top of the hps reflector for about 45 mins. It didn't taste good like cured weed, but it knocked the shit out of any owen dried weed i ever tasted. And it was a strain that i have sampled owen dried as well...

ViK
04-08-10, 04:45 PM
The best fast-cure method I've used;

Get a tupperware box.
Put in a bit of kitchen roll with a few drops of water on it.
Put popcorn buds or broken up buds on top of that.
Lid on and microwave on low setting for a bunch of seconds.
Take out, burp the tupperware box to let the steam out.
Repeat until nicely done.

bdiddly1
11-04-11, 01:06 AM
dry ice draws out moisture&can cure/dry your gear very quickly(i read about it somewhere,but thats all the info i have on it mate)

Tay
11-04-11, 01:24 AM
i know what you mean wheelchair and have also wondered about this. my weed gets me fucked as long as it's properly dry, even a quick dry and it's quite good but if it's on about day 5 of a slow dry and i go to sample some, i do notice it's a bit weak. bought weed on the other hand does seem to be stronger before it's properly dried. suppose i just always thought it's cause the bought stuff has been sealed in large amounts for a good while and has cured a bit, with the moisture being sweat from the cure. do you notice how fast the bought stuff usually dries out? indicating it's not 'fresh' as such. i mean i bet the weed you buy has been off the plant at least a couple of weeks but the dealers don't want to lose weight so they keep the bags sealed... open them now and again to bag up smaller bits etc and that's basically a cure anyway :p (just brainstorming there btw)

whoops didn't notice this was an old thread :blush:

jetlag
11-04-11, 03:12 AM
i know what you mean wheelchair and have also wondered about this. my weed gets me fucked as long as it's properly dry, even a quick dry and it's quite good but if it's on about day 5 of a slow dry and i go to sample some, i do notice it's a bit weak. bought weed on the other hand does seem to be stronger before it's properly dried. suppose i just always thought it's cause the bought stuff has been sealed in large amounts for a good while and has cured a bit, with the moisture being sweat from the cure. do you notice how fast the bought stuff usually dries out? indicating it's not 'fresh' as such. i mean i bet the weed you buy has been off the plant at least a couple of weeks but the dealers don't want to lose weight so they keep the bags sealed... open them now and again to bag up smaller bits etc and that's basically a cure anyway :p (just brainstorming there btw)

whoops didn't notice this was an old thread :blush:

yes tay, because u commented on it i have just read the whole damn thing....i blame you!!

wheelchair
11-04-11, 02:16 PM
Lol, land of the living thread.

It still bugs me tbh. I can get a score from a dealer and its damp but tastes of weed and gets me high, but as you say tay its not ever damp from fresh. When it comes to my own weed it is weak when damp from cut, in some cases it does fk all. Having cropped a few more times since this thread, it seems defo down to not being super dry before smoke. Its strange but seems as though every bit of weed i score has been 'cured' allready in a fashion.

Its just another of those things that folk take for granted, but to a noob its distressing to wonder why your weed aint like what you buy. I have a list of things like this that you wont find mentioned but are vital to a nube when learning, an example is trich colour. They dont change at the same time! Some can be amber weeks from harvest, but do you see this mentioned anywhere? Lol

Live and learn init. Since posting this thread I have grown some lovely weed, but looking back I was such a noob!

trumptummy
11-04-11, 04:26 PM
Dealers can often put the weed in the fridge to add weight. It's not wet when they get it..

You can usually tell which is which. Weed that hasn't been dried/cured properly is sticky, whereas fridged is just wet really.

Gollywog
11-04-11, 04:51 PM
I've found a quick dry is never the same as leaving the plant to dry properly. Doesn't matter how far into flower the plant is. There is something in the drying and the breaking down of thc that makes it more potent. If you dry to quick the chemical change isn't the same as if you dried it slowly and properly.

As for wet dealer crappy shite weed and it's been a couple of years since I last had any of that. I can only assume they dry it properly. By the time it does get to the end dealer it's had a chance to cure a bit. The end dealer then realises he isn't going to get that much back for what he sells, or at least that is what it was like before the crappy £10 a gram. The end dealer then decided to weigh the buds down by wetting them thus giving them extra weight for less bud.

Around my way an oz used to go for around £140. Selling that as 3.5 grams for £25 you would only end up with £60 profit. Is it really worth it having an oz of weed lying around then having 8 different people coming to your door at all hours of the day. Your risking getting caught for £60 profit and probably out of that £60 you would have had to fork out for petrol to go and get it in the first place. If you don't want people on your door then there is more petrol involved in distributing it. All of a sudden your down to £10-£20 profit (that's not including your time involved) for an oz. I dunno about you lot but I earn more for going to work for a day and know I ain't going to get dobbed in for dealing.

Think about it. If you were to sell grams or 8th's is it really worth it for say £20 profit. I sure as hell know I would do something to improve my profit. Especially with the risk involved.
Don't take offence mate
*cough* sorry I'm allergic to bullshit..

I'll list the reasons that i have been told how and why these ass holes do it..

1, a price of an oz (cheese) is in the range of £250

2 they sell it when it's just smokeable AKA sticky icky weed. they bring . thus inturn brings more MORE weight never heard of people spraying water on weed LOL it would lose its potentcy another thing to remember is supply and demand.. it changes fast!

3 when you dry weed it goes crisp on the outside? yes but if you open it up it's still wet and unsmokeable.. what these ass holes do is bring the moisture from the weed inside on the outside and when you air gets to it in a few minutes it will go bone dry and end up with fuck all. im not saying all the above is true but in 100% cases but most of the time it is.. res

4 Dealers are ARSE HOLES stay away and grow your own herb happy days:smokie:

jobby2812
11-04-11, 05:08 PM
Don't take offence mate
*cough* sorry I'm allergic to bullshit..

I'll list the reasons that i have been told how and why these ass holes do it..

1, a price of an oz (cheese) is in the range of £250

2 they sell it when it's just smokeable AKA sticky icky weed. they bring . thus inturn brings more MORE weight never heard of people spraying water on weed LOL it would lose its potentcy another thing to remember is supply and demand.. it changes fast!

3 when you dry weed it goes crisp on the outside? yes but if you open it up it's still wet and unsmokeable..

No offence taken as I did write that back in August of last year. I also did refer to it before they bumped the prices up from £25 for 3.5 grams to £10 a gram (if your lucky). I don't know what the price is for an oz around my way because I won't pay their ridiculous prices they are trying to charge. Hence why I have been growing for over 3 years now.

Secondly if you have never heard of them spraying it with water, which I never said. What I did say was wetting the bud. OK I suppose it pretty much the same. Then you need to have a read of the contaminated weed thread. They were doing a lot worse than spraying with water. The shite damp weed that is going around is far from being sticky. Well at least for my area. So I can't see it's where they haven't dried it properly.

If it's gone crispy on the outside but still damp on the inside where you can't smoke it then your drying it to quick. Try to dry slower and then a cure will help to bring out the last bit of damp. Still after a proper dry the bud should be smokeable. Not crispy on the outside and damp and non smokable on the inside.

Here have some covornia for that nasty cough you have lol:

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1625/medium/covonia_Bull_1_1_.JPG

Gollywog
11-04-11, 06:50 PM
No offence taken as I did write that back in August of last year. I also did refer to it before they bumped the prices up from £25 for 3.5 grams to £10 a gram (if your lucky). I don't know what the price is for an oz around my way because I won't pay their ridiculous prices they are trying to charge. Hence why I have been growing for over 3 years now.

Secondly if you have never heard of them spraying it with water, which I never said. What I did say was wetting the bud. OK I suppose it pretty much the same. Then you need to have a read of the contaminated weed thread. They were doing a lot worse than spraying with water. The shite damp weed that is going around is far from being sticky. Well at least for my area. So I can't see it's where they haven't dried it properly.

If it's gone crispy on the outside but still damp on the inside where you can't smoke it then your drying it to quick. Try to dry slower and then a cure will help to bring out the last bit of damp. Still after a proper dry the bud should be smokeable. Not crispy on the outside and damp and non smokable on the inside.

Here have some covornia for that nasty cough you have lol:

https://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/1625/medium/covonia_Bull_1_1_.JPG

Aye I've heard of sprayed shit never ever had it to be honest and I only smoke sticky icky.. and please I was giving an example why it's mostly damp/wet common sense mon! exactly lad it depends on the area but if that's all you have availabe (when you're not having a grow) I'd quit smoking till the crop comes in :P don't have a problem there lad with me cough you can take dem white mon pills me stick to GANJA I don't have a problem with my weed mate when I first started i did but you live and learn but they get it sticky icky how I said for a reason.. CASH i mean if you let air exposed to it goes rock hard and you lose mostly its weight.. anyway who gives a fig fuck em I say grow your own how you like :D can't get much better then that can it mon?

peace lad

rastafari

jobby2812
11-04-11, 07:22 PM
Aye I've heard of sprayed shit never ever had it to be honest and I only smoke sticky icky.. and please I was giving an example why it's mostly damp/wet common sense mon! exactly lad it depends on the area but if that's all you have availabe (when you're not having a grow) I'd quit smoking till the crop comes in :P don't have a problem there lad with me cough you can take dem white mon pills me stick to GANJA I don't have a problem with my weed mate when I first started i did but you live and learn but they get it sticky icky how I said for a reason.. CASH i mean if you let air exposed to it goes rock hard and you lose mostly its weight.. anyway who gives a fig fuck em I say grow your own how you like :D can't get much better then that can it mon?

peace lad

rastafari

Lmao white man pills. Yeah this is why I took up growing over 3 years ago. I got pissed off with how crap the weed was getting. Thankfully I did it before they started to bump up the prices otherwise I would be a broke man if I had kept buying it.