PDA

View Full Version : Snow on roof

topcat
20-11-10, 07:16 PM
ok lads ive heard of a few houses getting busted through not having snow on roof as the heat from lights melts it, therefore leaving the house with no snow on roof whilst everyone else has snow... so sticks out like sore thumb...

i have a few 600w lights and this concerns me, just entered frower stage so this would help i hope...

meercat.com
20-11-10, 07:27 PM
hi topcat round my way thats wat most would think ! melted snow =growing lol ive seen this happern on sheds garages b4 not witnessed miself on house but thats y advice is get plenty of insulatoin used its not onley to keep heat sig for chopper low but also to keep cold out or heat out during summer months done correctly ya can avoid this prob! how meny 600w? nows the time to invest in some insulatoin it dont cost world deals at bQ all time as well as flea bay good luck!

PG
20-11-10, 07:51 PM
i have a few 600w lights and this concerns me, just entered frower stage so this would help i hope...

You could just reduce the amount of plants you grow during the winter, 1 x 600w should be able to keep most heavy smokers self sufficient and not stand out like a christmas tree should the eye in the sky pass overhead.

Smaller yeild vs less chance of getting caught

Mr Swilly
20-11-10, 08:04 PM
Grow in tents and vent out of the chimney.

leeds grower
20-11-10, 10:55 PM
deffo good insulation
or if ya tight .pelt everyone elses roofs with salted water balloons late at night

Mrmarley
21-11-10, 04:50 PM
deffo good insulation
or if ya tight .pelt everyone elses roofs with salted water balloons late at night

hahahahahaha

mxc
21-11-10, 05:44 PM
1 x 600w should be able to keep most heavy smokers self sufficient and not stand out like a christmas tree should the eye in the sky pass overhead.

I had 2x200w cfl's in an uninsulated garage grow last year and the snow melted exactly above my grow tent in a metre sq...few shovels of snow gave temp cover.

a 600w will give out considerably more heat than 400w of cfl

big syko 75
21-11-10, 06:21 PM
I had 2x200w cfl's in an uninsulated garage grow last year and the snow melted exactly above my grow tent in a metre sq...few shovels of snow gave temp cover.
a 600w will give out considerably more heat than 400w of cfl

LOL c'mon mate your exaggerating your story a bit here,i was using 1200w of hps also in an uninsulated garage last year when we had the bad winter n shit loads of snow and i had snow on my garage roof for weeks,was like ice n took ages to melt,infact the snow on mine n the neighbours house roof melted long before the snow on my garage so i know 2x200w cfls wouldn't melt shit unless you'd got the bulbs bang underneath the roof and propably then wouldn't melt as it were that cold:joint:

alwaystoned_1
21-11-10, 06:22 PM
you need to insulate your roof as much as you can pal

katy
21-11-10, 07:15 PM
the best thing to use is PU known as kingspan etc.

you want at least 50mm thick, (i use 120mm) this is cut to fit between the rafters, so it doesn't enroach on your space

it also has a really reflective finish, so you are away as soon as you fit.

a 50mm sheet 8'x4' will cost about 25 or 30 quid

also, make sure you vent from the apex, or as close as poss to it

Quang
21-11-10, 08:13 PM
That kingspan is good , for best result's use two thin instead of one thick , with staggered taped seam's .
2x25 with staggered taped seam's is better than one at 50mm .

Mr_Bimble
22-11-10, 06:29 PM
Kingspan/celotex rules - did my shed in it and I've always got snow on the roof in winter (if its been snowing) pity the windows steam up like there's a sauna inside - must sort that one out this winter.

You could always paint the roof white so it looks like snow from a distance - LOL

wizbit
22-11-10, 06:41 PM
this caused me problems last winter. i had 2x600w HPS in an area with a flat roof (reinforced concrete approx 60 years old). it was the only roof locally that had no snow and at times was actually dry when others still had frost on. it panicked me a lot but i was near harvest and persevered and all was safe. this winter no more than 1 600w methinks...

katy
23-11-10, 12:41 AM
I've always got snow on the roof in winter (if its been snowing)

lol bimble, you funney!

Bubbles LM
23-11-10, 12:48 AM
Finishing my doors off in my garage rafter room, with the same stuff its built with.. kingspan / celotex.

Glad I'm not paying for mine though, only snag is waiting for it to be delivered..

snooplotty
27-11-10, 03:26 PM
LOL c'mon mate your exaggerating your story a bit here,i was using 1200w of hps also in an uninsulated garage last year when we had the bad winter n shit loads of snow and i had snow on my garage roof for weeks,was like ice n took ages to melt,infact the snow on mine n the neighbours house roof melted long before the snow on my garage so i know 2x200w cfls wouldn't melt shit unless you'd got the bulbs bang underneath the roof and propably then wouldn't melt as it were that cold:joint:

I think not! I am growing with 2 x 300W CFL's in an un-insulated garage in a fridge - see if you can spot where it is
https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31410
It was musch worse than this before we got some more snow
insulating the garage is now in progress

Father jack
28-11-10, 03:15 PM
deffo good insulation

this post needs to go into the quote thread!

Mrgurner
28-11-10, 07:02 PM
I was really paranoid about this! Im growing in a loft using a 600w HPS in a tent and you couldnt tell a difference , i am extracting into the house though

Mrmarley
30-11-10, 09:46 PM
I know i laughed earlier in this post. Mainly because there was no snow by mine. But..... er now there is an it all melted on my roof but not the neighbours ha! It dont look too bad but if our lil friend chopper goes over it would stick out like a sore thumb. Oh well

snooplotty
30-11-10, 10:22 PM
I only insulated half of my garage roof above my grow. On the half that is uninsulated all the snow has melted - Looks worse than before - Neighbours garage full of snow - SHIT!! - off to B & Q tomorrow to finish the other half

Mrmarley
30-11-10, 10:24 PM
Oh poo............................................

Mrmarley
01-12-10, 10:14 AM
wish it would f right off now. It looks even worse today. Might have to insulate the whole loft!

Mrgurner
01-12-10, 10:35 AM
Suprised to see there is a few roofs with know snow on round here! Weve had well over a foot and im stuck and cant get to work so i dont thinki the police would even get here lol , i'm impressed though you can't even tell on mine :)

Father jack
02-12-10, 01:12 PM
the mrs says i have warped her....anytime she's out she says she looks at peoples roofs to spot growers lol

M_C
02-12-10, 01:46 PM
Either half my street is growing or they really need to sort out their loft insulation :D

Lazy Lacy
02-12-10, 09:30 PM
Snow stays on my roof.... Kingspan strikes again! :cowboy:

bigbudben
02-12-10, 09:53 PM
Snow stays on my roof i because I grow in the cellar cellar strike again ............

snooplotty
07-12-10, 10:35 PM
Garage roof is now fully insulated and the snow hasn't melted - woo hoo!!!

gr33nfingers
10-12-10, 04:04 AM
I think not! I am growing with 2 x 300W CFL's in an un-insulated garage in a fridge - see if you can spot where it is
It was musch worse than this before we got some more snow
insulating the garage is now in progress

Mate looking at that roof id say prioritize on getting it boarded and felted lol

And stop throwing brushes and rakes up there, they might come through :laugh:

05ecotec1sv
10-12-10, 04:30 AM
if you dont want to insulate get a hobby in your garage like me and work on your car so people will just think its you heating your garage so that you can spend more time out there.

In my area people would just think that you are paying to much for heat and that you have bad insulation.

Mr_Bimble
11-12-10, 02:00 AM
I don't know if it's just me being paranoid but the police helecopter has been flying over the estate a lot in this snowy weather - I predict some busts in the next couple of weeks.

So long as it isn't me - but I've got loads of snow on my roof so should be safe.

hydroblowback
12-12-10, 09:49 PM
I'm running a 600 HPS in the uninsulated garage and it was covered in a load of snow,I think you'd need a ridiculous amount of lighting to melt the snow