PDA

View Full Version : fan blowing directly across plants or not?

dirty dude
02-01-11, 06:05 PM
A mate told me not to blow my osc fan on the plants when they are in flower as it can make them hermy!

is this true? have you ever had any probs from doing it?

Cheers
NM

javadog
02-01-11, 06:07 PM
a fan that periodically blows across the plant will make the stems stronger but full time is stressfull

dirty dude
02-01-11, 06:10 PM
what sort of intervals would you suggest for it being on/off?

javadog
02-01-11, 06:11 PM
what ever the rotaion is. as long as its not whippin the plant around itll be ok

lambert29
02-01-11, 06:39 PM
I wouldnt blow directly on to the plant/plants because the plant will put all it energy into thickening up the stem rather than its growth! I wait until the stem has already done that before i start blowing air all over them. Ive never had hermies from using a fan. But if i had a gale force wind going on in there then i probably would!

WastedYouth
02-01-11, 06:41 PM
have it oscillating blowing the air between the top of the canopy and bulb, it will help give you stronger stems. i only use 1 10inch on half power for first 4-5 weeks while they are still young and step it up to full power in flowering for dryer conditions (more crystals/resin) you should have it running thru the night aswell. some dont, some do, i dont personally, but i dont usually get humidty probs in flowering at night. others do.

mari420juana
02-01-11, 07:02 PM
it should be blowing across the top of your plants canopy, just to keep the air moving and good circulation, blowing your fan directly on your plants tho WOULD NOT make them hermie at all, jus maybe stress them a little. hope this helps

dirty dude
02-01-11, 07:27 PM
thanks you guys, I think I will sit the tower fan up on something cos at the moment the plants have grown so the air stream is blowing further down the stems. I have been keeping the fan on constant during the grow but with osc turned off and just blowing the air at a wall rather than across the plants so I'll put the osc on and on the lowest setting. :)

Greenblade
03-01-11, 06:36 PM
def keep air moving around tops/canopy like said, mould can destroy smokable bud in no time if gets hold, 1 of many reasons :)

dirty dude
06-01-11, 11:35 AM
Had a bit of a major tidy up in there this a.m and stood the fan on top of my box that the xbox came in, bloody perfect size lol, the air is all above pot level now and being a tower fan the air is covering the canopy and all thats in-between. Humidity is around 44% constantly at the mo so Im quite happy with that ;)