View Full Version : Autoflowering crossbreed!?
12-01-11, 09:22 AM
What would happen if i crossed a lowryder 2 or a 60-day wonder with a ata tundra or white widow? Or any autoflowering strain with a non-auto. Would it preserve the auto characteristics or would it "turn normal"?
I have great experiences with the ata tundra (45 day flowering period) my aim is a super-fast strain combined with decent yields wich i don't think i got from my last lowryder 2 grow.... even though it was a hydro grow.... Satisfactory but not more than that... Any thoughts?
depends on wether the auto you are crossing with is homozygous with the auto gene.regardless they will not all be autos.
11-02-11, 07:24 AM
I crossed a non auto Kush with one of the lowriders and got a wide variety of offspring. A lot of the seeds, 70%, didn't inherit the auto trait or if they did they hadn't started flowering after a month of growth. The other 30% did inherit the auto trait and these plants were bred from, the ratio of autos to non autos kept improving and by the 6th generation i had pure auto seeds. Definitely worth doing and you could get a dynamite crossbreed.
i have never worked with autos but from your figures i would presume the auto gene is recessive[approx 25% carry over to the next generation] and 6 back crosses to stabilise is good ,well done.
11-02-11, 02:00 PM
The 'usual' way it works to make a Non Auto strain AF is by doing the following.
Cross AF to Non AF for F1's
Grow out the F1's and incross them to make F2's - none of the F1's will show the AF trait
@ F2 you will see 25% exhibiting the AF trait, cross the best male and female that AF
@ F3 you will have a much higher rate that Autoflower, again inbreed the best that AF
@ F4 the Auto trait should be pretty much locked down, inbreed this generation again and you should be at 100% AF
That will give you a hybrid that Autoflowers with 50% of the genes from the non AF, now you could backcross to the original NON AF parent and repeat the above process for a strain which contains 75% of your NON AF parent.
The original process can take less time if you use a NON AF parent that is known to have some AF/semi-autoflowering tendencies.. like AK47 for example
you can maybe do it in 4 by backcrossing to the original ruderalis or stable auto flower but working with cross strains it will be more difficult as you will not know if the second/third cross is with a plant that is homozygous.
11-02-11, 02:31 PM
Yes, backcrossing to the AF will get you there quicker.. but if you're putting in the time to make something new and improved.. it seems a waste to me. As you would only have 25% of your (better quality) non-AF in there.
that is why it may take 7 or 8 crosses to stabilise not using true breeding or stable stock.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.