PDA

View Full Version : Best time to plant in uk outdoor!!!

khani
19-02-11, 11:38 PM
hey guys
i need help , when do i plant outdoor iam going to plant straing after germination
also should i dig up a whole and put soil in it so that the plant has good nutrients.
any advice is appreciated

The G is Stoned
20-02-11, 01:03 AM
Im not a pro outdoor grower, in fact iv never done it. Saying this iv done a little research and I plan on planting out in pots with good bought soil maybe in march if its warm enough.
I know you should all way's buy some nice soil.

MrMojorising
20-02-11, 01:58 AM
Mid april,a good way is to check local diy stores selling bedding plants,usually when they start putting out trays of marigolds(not the yellow gloves),fuschias etc it's safe to plant,April is a weird month,even snowed in mid april before.

The G is Stoned
20-02-11, 11:31 AM
Good tip! makes sense too. thanks matie

Igotbigbuds
20-02-11, 12:15 PM
Its a dream if you can dig a pit and drop a bag of decent soil in - it's my plan for this year.

Also you just need to wait for the last frost before planting out - they usually announce the last frost on the news.

Beezerk
20-02-11, 12:34 PM
Its a dream if you can dig a pit and drop a bag of decent soil in - it's my plan for this year.

That's the plan for my 4 Purple Maroc this year, dig a trench, put in some nice compost and stick the plants in :joint:

cocogrower
20-02-11, 12:36 PM
After the last frost.. Typically the last week in April / First week in May is best.

khani
20-02-11, 05:58 PM

Also you just need to wait for the last frost before planting out - they usually announce the last frost on the news.
REALLY?? i didnt know that thanks i look out for that now

khani
20-02-11, 06:04 PM
i am going to plant holland hope outside on the 2 of april
i think it will be ok as holland if colder and this strain grows their

khani
20-02-11, 06:19 PM
Also has anyone got any lowryder or any autoflowerign strain pic outdoor only

Goodbuddy
20-02-11, 06:29 PM
There is a school of thought that states you shouldn't really plant out till june.

Get the plants vegged indoors on usual 18/6 cycle for a few weeks then put outside early june.

This way the plant has a week or two to settle in before the shortening daylight hours kick in. She will then think, eyup I should start flowering now so does. So she will be in flower a little earlier and hopefully will finish earlier. With more effort/energy being put into flowering than vegging.

Now you probably will not end up with 10ft monsters this way with kilos of bud (not that this is usual for uk outdoors) but perhaps a greater chance of the plants being ripe and bud filled before the cold/damp/rot-inducing weather grabs hold.

peace :p

Igotbigbuds
21-02-11, 01:51 PM
There is a school of thought that states you shouldn't really plant out till june.

Yea my mate popped a seed before Christmas one year and left it veg under a cfl till the summer and then put it out to flower in his garden - it was a BEAST!!!

khani
21-02-11, 02:35 PM
igotbuds i didnt really understand that mate
can you please rehearse it
thanks

Igotbigbuds
21-02-11, 02:53 PM
He vegged it for about 6 months indoors under a light, much better growing conditions than outdoors in the UK and then just left it to flower outside. Due to the long veg period and being free to grow outside and the added stretch from the sun being further away than the light, the plant was huge when he chopped it down.
This way you get the best of both worlds, the plant has ideal conditions to veg in but then has no restrictions on it's growth during flower.
Loads of great bud on it!

Goodbuddy
21-02-11, 03:19 PM
Just something else to think about is that late outdoors planting of established plants is ok for a secluded garden but would be a pain for a guerilla grow, creeping about at night with 1ft+ height plants and all that LOL

Igotbigbuds
21-02-11, 03:44 PM
That's why I don't do it lol

afriendinneed
21-02-11, 04:12 PM
.. creeping about at night with 1ft+ height plants and all that LOL

Mate, I plant out when they around 2-3 weeks old (pre-vegged indoors) and when they're 3-4 inches in height. No need to wait until they're 1ft in height buddy, they soon take off when they've been planted :) .. :leaf:

That's why I don't do it lol

This is why I do do it :)

wigster
21-02-11, 04:45 PM
I'm not disagreeing with AFIN ('coz he'za man!)....plus I am a loony & scramble around the countyside with 2-3ft plants (did last year anyway) but I have found that the bigger they are, the less attention they get from slugs & bunnies....gives them a bit more chance without the hassle of vermin chewing ya leaves :bigjoint:....but safety is paramount, so weigh up the options

afriendinneed
21-02-11, 04:48 PM
Good point Wigster mate, I've never thought of things that way :) Mind you I've got around 100+ to plant this Summer so I gotta keep em' looow

wigster
21-02-11, 04:55 PM
Good point Wigster mate, I've never thought of things that way :) Mind you I've got around 100+ to plant this Summer so I gotta keep em' looow

Sshhh!..........man, your always making typos with your numbers..lol :)

khani
24-02-11, 06:48 PM
any other advice fellas

Bubbles LM
24-02-11, 07:13 PM
Dig in some fish blood and bone now with some nice soil and cover over with mulch.

It's slow release so it will be just right for your plants when they go in and establish themselves around the start of May when they will go in.

TC-UP
24-02-11, 07:19 PM
Dig in some fish blood and bone now with some nice soil and cover over with mulch.

It's slow release so it will be just right for your plants when they go in and establish themselves around the start of May when they will go in.

I assume you don't bother putting up any chicken wire at this stage? i was thinking about getting some wire rings out not to let some growth establish around. Is that a good idea?

Bubbles LM
24-02-11, 08:55 PM
It depends, my spot didn't have any troubles last year, I had slug protection though just in case.

I would if there is any danger of rabbits or deer, once they get to about 2 or 3 feet they should OK without.