PDA

View Full Version : Staggered Harvesting

Day Tripper
22-07-08, 10:15 PM
I have started harvesting from some of my ladies. Using a Maplin microscope I look for buds that are ready and only harvest the ripe ones. Up to now I have harvested top buds from the highest calyx, efectively giving the plants a little "top" and exposing the buds from the cut down to the 2nd highest calyx which don't appear as ripe. I took 1 side bud that was ripeon a side stem but left a smaller bud alone as it didn't appear ripe.

I got a brown paper bag of the greengrocer and have put the buds into that to dry out slowly in the dark. I only trimmed of the 2 large fan leaves from the harvested buds. I have taken the view that some buds ripen before others, like some apples on a tree, so I have only picked the ripe ones up to now. Has anyone else tried this metthod?
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/andrewinpopayan/imag1182.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/andrewinpopayan/imag1183.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/andrewinpopayan/imag1185.jpg

PTB
23-07-08, 09:35 AM
Havn't tried it myself but i've read about and have considered it before. Let us know how its goes :)

CheeseGreen
23-07-08, 01:12 PM
I read that you could just harvest the top and middle buds then leave the rest for 5 - 7 days without having to check each bud individually with a microscope which could damage them (i've got a microscope and it's fucking hard to look at the crystals still on the plant without smashing the buds).

If your method works though then it's definatly a lot more accurate. But since the harvest window is open for a while it might simply not be necessary. You can tell just by looking at the buds if they're ripe half the time. If you do it less accurately as well you'll have different types of high in your harvest which could be interesting.

Just a thought. Not trying to be a dick about the way you're doing it :weed: Each to their own.

Day Tripper
24-07-08, 02:46 PM
I agree about the effing microscope, it's like using a hammer to open peanuts, it's brutal even if used carefully, seems to smash the heads n stalks off the trichs :omg: and smear the plant with resiny stuff. It can't do them any good. :banghead: I am gonna try and modify my microscope so that it doesn't touch the plant

keshman
24-07-08, 10:44 PM
Type "jewelers loupe" on eBay,

the x30 ones do the job perfectly and for £3 delivered you can't go wrong, and to make it even better you can simply place them over your camera lens if you want super-macro shots too.

As for your staggered harvesting I've done it and it does make a difference compared to doing it all in one go, basically you get a more even stoneage/ amber trich % and a slightly better yield too.

Day Tripper
25-07-08, 10:19 PM
I cut another 4 buds today, 2 of them were from where I "topped" plants the other day. Plants are showing end of flower / stress? now, most of the large fan leaves have curled up and now the plants seem to be all cola with the little bud leaves, generally look like they are dying back on primary growth although the bud leaves are still spring green. All the flower pistils have gone and those that havent are orange. They are now 56 days ( 8 weeks) into flowering, so nature has probably run it's course.