PDA

View Full Version : Struggling

Mr-Dynamic
01-08-07, 12:43 PM
Does anyone else find themselves struggling for work? Britian is supposedly on an economic boom but ill be fucked if i can find any permanent work in my area that is feasable to get to (dont drive so limited options). Everyweek the same Agencies advertise the same job and whenever you ring up its always ' oh we'll give you a ring', do they fuck. the warehouse/factory section of my news paper is pathetic, last week there were two jobs for agencies in a town 20 miles away. fucking poles everywhere, polish foodshops cropping up everywhere and no fucker can find a job. im seriously thinking about flogging weed just to get some cash in me pocket. my wife works an office job but that just aint they type of job i want. left schoool with not much to brag about and my only options really are warehousing etc. just so fed up .

LAL
01-08-07, 12:46 PM
sorry to hear that man, im sure things will perk up for ya, wont dont u become a bent copper, or a fireman, something interesting!!! there are plenty of options for ya mate,,, just keep on looking,,,,,, im sure things will turn themselves around!!! ask around your friends and family, its much easier if youve already got your foot in the door,,,,

Or get your ass down to londonn,, theres is way too much work down here, and they are crying out for people from anywhere to come here and work!!!!"!

for jobs in london go on gumtree.com and see for yourself... get a job on site, in the sunshine prolly £80 a day... your laughing mate!!! good luck!

Jameo
01-08-07, 12:51 PM
Yeah its crap, I know a few people that are really struggling to find work work, so i can empathise with your situation.

One of them did a computer course that took the best part of a year, saying that he is now some sort of IT consultant, the only problem with those skill course is that they charge you for their time.

One of my best friends used to be a blacksmith, the only trade/qualifications he had, after being kicked in the ankle by a horse he had to pack it in and simply couldn't find a job for love no money. He took a 1 year access course, and then went to university as a mature student, the access course and the university placement were all fully funded. You can also take a part-time course if you need to work as well.

I hope it all works out for you mate. All the best

greengiant
01-08-07, 12:56 PM
Having been in a similar situation my advice would be to try and get into small to medium companies. These type of companies often aren't too arsed about qualifications as much as the bigger ones.

If you show willing and tell them at interviews that you don't know too much about the job but you are a fast learner and are looking for a company to get stuck into and make a career of it.

Companies don't just wanna hear that you have blah blah blah GCSE's. If you can get acccross the fact that you are very keen to give your loyalty to them and are willing to work up from the bottom then they will see this as a major plus point. Just make sure you let them know that you are looking for something where you can move up the ladder providing you pull your weight.

I left school with quite a few GCSE's, wen't to college and dropped out.

In the end I applied for a job in a growing UPVC window company. I started off doing monkey work on peanuts. I was one of around 20 staff employed by the company. WE now employ around 200 people and as I was one of the first employees I am now very well paid and have a righ tgood laugh. Not to mention I manage to find plenty of time to mooch about on here too.

Bottom line is that without qualifications you need to work up from teh bottom. Its impossible to get a highly paid job without experience or qualifications.

Like I said, try to get into a medium sized company and work through the ranks. You would be suprised at how many stupid people some companies employ. This makes it very easty for you to look good and move up the ranks.

Good luck with your search mate.

Another good tip is to write letters to employers who you would like to work for. Ask them about any vacancies. They might not need anyone, but the fact you show willing by approaching them can sometimes make them think they will need someone soon and since you are so pro-active why not give you a go.

Again good luck mate.

I don't wanna sound patronising here, but if you need help with writing letters of CV's etc, then let me know and I'll chip in. I have done plenty of job applications and CV's in my time.

Take it easy man!

attempt5
02-08-07, 02:01 AM
Having been in a similar situation my advice would be to try and get into small to medium companies. These type of companies often aren't too arsed about qualifications as much as the bigger ones.

If you show willing and tell them at interviews that you don't know too much about the job but you are a fast learner and are looking for a company to get stuck into and make a career of it.

Companies don't just wanna hear that you have blah blah blah GCSE's. If you can get acccross the fact that you are very keen to give your loyalty to them and are willing to work up from the bottom then they will see this as a major plus point. Just make sure you let them know that you are looking for something where you can move up the ladder providing you pull your weight.

I left school with quite a few GCSE's, wen't to college and dropped out.

In the end I applied for a job in a growing UPVC window company. I started off doing monkey work on peanuts. I was one of around 20 staff employed by the company. WE now employ around 200 people and as I was one of the first employees I am now very well paid and have a righ tgood laugh. Not to mention I manage to find plenty of time to mooch about on here too.

Bottom line is that without qualifications you need to work up from teh bottom. Its impossible to get a highly paid job without experience or qualifications.

Like I said, try to get into a medium sized company and work through the ranks. You would be suprised at how many stupid people some companies employ. This makes it very easty for you to look good and move up the ranks.

Good luck with your search mate.

Another good tip is to write letters to employers who you would like to work for. Ask them about any vacancies. They might not need anyone, but the fact you show willing by approaching them can sometimes make them think they will need someone soon and since you are so pro-active why not give you a go.

Again good luck mate.

I don't wanna sound patronising here, but if you need help with writing letters of CV's etc, then let me know and I'll chip in. I have done plenty of job applications and CV's in my time.

Take it easy man!

thanks alot for that...some great advice there as I am in this boat that seems to be going nowhere...

may PM you if that's cool :)

greengiant
02-08-07, 08:24 AM
thanks alot for that...some great advice there as I am in this boat that seems to be going nowhere...

may PM you if that's cool :)

No probs mate.

PM away.

D
02-08-07, 11:06 AM
I applied for a Pet shop job about a month ago.

:rolleyes: Typical, they don't reply back.

asci
02-08-07, 11:40 AM
One of them did a computer course that took the best part of a year, saying that he is now some sort of IT consultant, the only problem with those skill course is that they charge you for their time.

A single years course is not enough to call yourself a consultant. It's why other consultants who have worked for many years are finding it hard to get work as there are so many people out there who've done a single course, then think they are up to scratch with any system. It does not work like that.. He needs to do a helpdesk job for a number of years to get to grips with system maintenance. Once he's done that he'll be ready to move up the ladder. I've been in the undustry for nye on ten years and have only reached the level of consultant...

greengiant
02-08-07, 11:42 AM
A single years course is not enough to call yourself a consultant. It's why other consultants who have worked for many years are finding it hard to get work as there are so many people out there who've done a single course, then think they are up to scratch with any system. It does not work like that.. He needs to do a helpdesk job for a number of years to get to grips with system maintenance. Once he's done that he'll be ready to move up the ladder. I've been in the undustry for nye on ten years and have only reached the level of consultant...

I'd have to agree. I worked with computer networks for around 6 years and still barely knew anything in the grand scheme of things. The problem is the technology moves so fast its hard to keep up. I got sick of dealing with shit, underfunded systems so changed jobs to sales. So much easier and is the same, if not better pay. Happy days.