Thread: LED vs BULBS

Thanks

Default LED vs BULBS

hay gonna start indoor growing soon im abit confused about lighting, ive tryed to read as much as possable and LED seems to have all the benifits im looking for low energy, low heat, low fire risk , but 95% of pics of grow rooms ive seen they all have bulbs ? so witch is better ?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,124 Times

LEDs are definitely more efficient, cooler, and prove less of a fire risk, but they're still a relatively new area of growing, and still haven't properly caught on commercially, despite some astounding results from those who've given them a go. I think a major factor for some is the cost, a lot of LED lighting solutions that are on the market at the moment are pretty pricey.. in comparison to a good ol' hps, but then you probably save that money in not having to buy things to remove heat, heh.

I've been looking in to building my own LED growlight recently and I reckon I'm not far off.. Just sourcing suppliers now

Edit: in answer to your question, I don't know which is better, but I've still not tried LED. However, everyone I've seen that has, has produced some very interesting results
    Last edited by Eggbox; 27-04-09 at 09:39 PM. Reason: baked, innit

Thanks

From what ive read LED panels are ok for vegging but just dont have the umph yet to produce big fat buds in flower. HPS is the ideal lamp for flowering but does have the problems you mentioned, this is the light most growers go for. Some people do use CFLs or envirolites red for flower with great success, these lamps have the benefit of giving off considerably less heat so safe distance to plants is also reduced and are definately less of fire risk than HPS

Monty Bong Guest

I think LEDs have got miles to go before they are a viable option for the percy grower, in terms of space, cost and yeild.

Thanks

Somewhere on this site there is a LED grow diary, I was interested, but not all that impressed. Don't get me wrong the guy /gal could grow, no question, but the end result was dissapointing in my opinion.

The panel he bought was the same price as my entire setup almost. Until the soduim plasma becomes affordable and mainstream, hps/halide/dual spectrum is still the way forward.

I am well happy with my 400w dual spec, but then again I just grow a little (which always turns out to be quite a lot ) percy.

Thanks