Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex's Extract Tek

Thanks

Default Final Purge

So, you have a pyrex dish covered in what seems to be a fine amber colored film. This is our concentrate. There should be some fairly large bubbles as well. I took some amazing pics yesterday... This is my favorite stage of the oil... its still so innocent and beautiful. The next stage is also critical in determining the texture as well as quality of the oil. Too much heat is horrible for it, and since we will be using a hot plate or something of equal temperature to do the final purge, i highly recommend something that wont very in temp. too much and something that you can control. Personally I use my titanium dish for the final purge, but glass collection fishes as well as parchment paper will work well.
    If you did the first purge properly, your blasting pan should look something like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1yum1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	204817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1yum7.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	204821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1yum4.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	204818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1yum5.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	204819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1yum6.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	204820

Now this is FAR FROM DONE But congrats. The dangerous stage is over. If done properly, critical solvent extraction is both simple and safe, but if done improperly, it can go pretty bad. You deserve a dab Dont mind if I do. The next stage poses no danger to ones self, but since this is the first stage where electronic heat is used, one must be very careful with thier concentrate. This is also where different consistencies are achieved. My preferences change all the time, and depending on what you blast, your finished product will vary. I am currently loving this very hard sap type consistency which crumbles into little gooey chunks when played with. Time for another dab I cant wait to get a new nail and dome setup. My old one broke, so I am left having to use a concentrate wand. Love it to death, but there is no water filtration so the vapor is a little harsh. Great for beginners though. I'll also talk about proper smoking methods. Dont wanna waste that precious extract now do we.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (12-08-13), mandarina (13-02-16), RastaMouse22 (12-08-13), varmint (09-09-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.UnclePen View Post
    You'll notice right when it comes ("blasts") out it is a light green/hashish color, after the "blast" begins the color will start to turn more clear (butane is clear). When it's pretty much all clear then you know you've gathered all of the trichs (from this run) that you can. After a few runs of whatever you run (straight flower or trimmings, or both, they all will take different amounts, not a huge difference, but there non the less) you'll get the hang of it much better.

I like to run it for 5 seconds, let it rest for one or two second, and then run the rest (until it's clear) so I don't have to worry about back pressure building up.

Also, and I apologie with these lengthy posts Alex, I certainly don't mean to intrude, but NEVER use wet trimmings. The butane will turn that water and freeze it instantly which could cause blockage in the tube from ice, therefor backpressure will build and you'll be wishing you had waited for the bud or trim to completely dry. Plus, you simply get more product when it's 1) complete dry, and 2) frozen.

No worries, I actually touched on the moisture bit, and one would have to be severely inexperienced to use wet trim/buds. Bone dry is the best, and yes throwing your cans in the fridge or freezer beforehand will keep the butane in a liquid state a little longer, but i have found once it comes in contact with air, the temperature adjusts so quickly that this makes minimal difference. I still do it though lol. All these little tips and tricks will synergize and in the end produce a better product.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13)

Thanks

Default a little break in time and space

I vaped too much sap and I need a nap , will finish in a couple hrs. Got all the pics ready, just need to construct the tek. The extract has changed consistency since yesterday so I will take some updated pics just to induce jealousy.

These are an old batch. Turned out amazing. Thats my titanium dish btw..

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	204846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	204843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	204844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	204845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	204847

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (12-08-13), RastaMouse22 (12-08-13)

Thanks

nice guide alexsm. am interested in trying this out myself but never done it before and don't quite understand the process yet.

question though if you would be good enough to answer me: at the water purge stage you're pouring water into the larger dish below the dish containing the extract? and so the heat rises and boils the extract mix in the dish above? i can see you pouring thew water in the larger dish in the pic but i'm just amazed that heat is enough to heat up the extract. like i said never done it before and just trying to understand the process before i set myself on fire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lapse For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13)

MrG Guest

This thread coming along a treat al,
    Good work mate.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13)

Thanks

One thing I forgot to mention is the mirror test. This is to test your butane for impurities. Spray on a mirror, when evaporated, if no residue is left behind you are good to go. I still stick with a certain brands even though many have passed the mirror test.

Just off to the pharmacy will finish when I get back, just to answer that question.... Yes. Butane actually boils off at (Boiling point
    -1-1 °C, 272-274 K, 30-34 °F) so hot water is more than enough.

I look back and laugh at myself for even doing a quick wash isopropyl extract in the past. What a hassle and for a very Inferior product.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2
    "The farther one travels the less one knows"

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (12-08-13), lapse (25-06-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
    ...just to answer that question.... Yes. Butane actually boils off at (Boiling point
    -1-1 °C, 272-274 K, 30-34 °F) so hot water is more than enough.
    thanks for clearing that up for me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lapse For This Useful Post:

alexsm (25-06-13)

Thanks

Default Scraping and Collecting

This is the great....
    Scraping and Collecting stage!

If you have made it this far, pat yourself on the back. Almost done, yet these last two steps are very critical when determining the potency and consistency of the finished product. I will show you a couple methods to reach certain consistencies.

So you have this pyrex dish covered in oil. In my experience, the hot water purge is NOT enough to get all the trapped butane out of your finished product. I use a hot plate for this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHO1hotplate.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	204979
    My hot plate has a glass surface with three different heat settings(not optimal for purging but if one keeps an eye on it, and with practice, it is basically the same as using a precision temperature element of some sort) and because of the glass surface, the temperature is fairly easy to gauge. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotplatesettings.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	204989

I set my hot plate on the lowest temperature possible, and place my pyrex dish on it immediately. I do not wait for it to heat up. I seem to have a lot more control over it this way. When the extract is heated and starts to get quite viscous again, very large bubbles will start to appear. You can either wait for them to pop, or use a dabber or razorblade to gently go over them without touching the pan. The point is just to pop the big bubbles. These are the butane containing ones and you will find that after a little bit on the hot plate-or whatever you are using..hot water bottles even work!- the bigger bubbles will stop appearing and only small bubbles will start to raise. I usually take my blasting dish off of the heat quite frequently just to be able to control the heat. Overheating can cause your concentrate to darken as well as reach a consistancy which is VERY hard to deal with. As soon as all the big bubbles disappear, and you are content that most if not all of the butane is out of your concentrate, you can then start to work on the finished product. This is where the big fun starts. At least for me Heres an example of the big bubbles. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge04.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	204991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge02.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	204990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge08.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	204992

Ahh I love collecting and making some nice honeycomb. Next post will be all about the chemistry behind the extraction as well as making a product that just cries perfection

Remember, purge in the large dish until all the big bubbles are done forming. The more surface area the concentrate is allowed to have, the better your first purge is going to be. When you stop seeing bubbles like this, it is ready to scrape and do the final purge. Get your razor blade(s), parchment paper(or whichever receptacle you are using), titanium dabber if you have one, and make sure you are fairly sober for this step. One small move and you can lose a lot of your concentrate. Heat is also you best friend and worst enemy at the end.
    Lets get to it!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (12-08-13), Koncept (26-06-13), lapse (26-06-13), LBN (12-08-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15)

Thanks

Default Continuing with the collecting.

We now dive into the art of "curing" the concentrate as I like to call it. First we make sure that we have purged 98% of the butane out, and when collected, your concentrate should be opaque/see through amber/sappy, and this all depends on if you have blasted trim, buds(ground up buds will produce a different concentrate than full buds), bottom bag, etc. My last two runs have been completely different and I love having a diverse selection of concentrates to dab or vape.

Scraping, collecting, and purging!(continued)

I just want to say that this step can only be done after all the LARGE bubbles have been dealt with. As soon as they are gone, this is a great point to collect your concentrate as it is fairly viscous from the heat. Grab your razorblade/pallet knife/puddy knife/anything flat, metal, and fairly stable will work. I have my dabber on hand to collect the sap from the razor. This must be done very quickly and precisely. Otherwise you will have to heat your blade(BAD) to loosen up the concentrate again. You never want to directly heat the goodies like that.
    if your oil hardens up on you, place your blade back into the pyrex dish so that it can slowly heat up again.
    So scrape in long nice strands. You'll notice on this plate that you can kinda see where i have scraped and how i scraped. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge14.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	205020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge13.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	205019

Each time I scrape a line, I immediately move over to my titanium dish and "transfer" it using my dabber. If i wait too long, it gets hard as glass and behaves very much like HARD toffee that will shatter if moved too quickly. The only way to successfully transfer it is to do it when it has been heated from the hot plate so practice with small amounts first so that you dont have a huge piece fly across the room and you lose precious concentrate. It has happened to me, and its not cool at all.

Name:	Finalpurge11.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	205021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge12.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	205022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge16.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	205023

I'm at my limit for pics on this post, so i'll focus on curing and the final purge in the next post.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (12-08-13), lapse (26-06-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), varmint (09-09-13)

Thanks

Here are some more pics of my extraction tube. Its perfect and they have different sizes. I am going to pick up the larger one tomorrow just because of the massive amount of trim/botom bag i need to run. I'll throw in some pics of some shatter too. See how my tube fits a butane nozzle perfectly? No hassles whatsoever.

Name:	Finalpurge1.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	205053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finalpurge2.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	205054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHOtubenozzle.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	205051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BHOtube2.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	205052

Dinner time, and then the final step Thanks for being a great audience so far. I cant wait to come back and perform for you guys again.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alexsm For This Useful Post:

Dal (20-08-13), Goodbuddy (26-06-13), LBN (12-08-13), MacFeegle (29-01-15), Smokeface (01-02-15)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast