Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Soil

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,294 Times

Default Best Soil

Ok guys so what are your opinions of the best soil to grow in? and why?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

Currently, J Arthur Bowers Seed & Cutting compost. Previously, Levington's Seed & Cutting compost. I use them all the way through from seed to flower.

They are both very open and free-draining, which provides good oxygenation of the root zone and allows frequent watering, and they have a low nutrient content. which allows me to start feeding earlier and allows more control. The J Arthur Bowers seems to a bit sandier and less fibrous than the Levington's, but I've had good results with both.

If I can't get those then I'll try pretty much any seed and cutting compost, and will try to avoid any of the John Innes mud/loam products.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

Butch Roughlove (30-12-13), leyus (14-12-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,294 Times

sounds like its worth a look then have you got any opinion on biobizz lightmix?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,156 Times

I'll be using this. Sounds like it will work really well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373469689022.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	208092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373469710236.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	208093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373469724310.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	208094  

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

Quote Originally Posted by l2ampag3 View Post
    sounds like its worth a look then have you got any opinion on biobizz lightmix?
    I've never used it, but I generally don't like using loam (soil) based products in pots because I find they can be heavy and don't drain very well (so everyone then buys perlite as well in an attempt to correct the issue). Peat and sand for me every time.

I think loam mixes can be good when used outdoors though.

Also, I try to avoid anything aimed specifically (or mostly) at growing cannabis. It may be a cynical view, but I suspect that they are all overpriced for what they are (the 'Canna Tax') and that good quality domestic products work just as well.

ETA: This may be worth a read: Which? Best composts 2013: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...read.php?99055

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

breakitdownrollitup (20-09-13), CocoMonkey (14-07-13), leyus (14-12-13), Lil Sindigo (06-11-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

My compost. But in all seriousness I can't get over composting. I don't think i'll ever look back. You can reuse soil properly, how much better does it get? Using your garbage (old food, mail, ect) to feed the worms which feed the micro herd which in turn feed the plant. I just find it such a great way to grow in soil.

Before compost I was using Black Gold though. Out of Canada, awesome stuff. Just has .5-0-0 npk rating but it's organic so there is more value than that. Works awesome for starting out seeds and clones. I found it maintained a nice microherd for a long time before I had to feed a plant in full veg. A mother plant about 3ft tall lasted over a month in the Black Gold before we had to use nutes on her so despite the low nutrient level ratings the microherd gets going and really thrives well in Black Gold.
    Last edited by Mr.UnclePen; 10-07-13 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

I used all mix with 20% perlite last grow."
    This grow i am using the verve grow your own growing bag, as seen in Anonymiss' link to "which" soil comparison test, and will be adding 20 % perlite to that as well.
    I will also be doing a side by side comparison test between the two (all mix and grow your own), as the grow your own is a fifth of the price of the biobizz.
    It will be same strain, same pot size, same feed the works.
    I will keep you all updated of the differences noted, if any!

stephen07 Guest

I use plagron , about a tenner a bag. Worth it and don't add anything

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,472 Times

b and q multi........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,163 Times

highly suggest tga super soil, whether you make it yourself or buy it premade. specifically made for cannabis and has all of the correct ratios. Dioxide/subcool/tga hired scientists and botinists to help them develop this product. it will kick any other bag soils ass, i promise you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.UnclePen For This Useful Post:

Claymorrow (25-07-13)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast