Thread: Grow Box Electricity auto CUT-off

Thanks

Default Grow Box Electricity auto CUT-off

Is it possible to wire like a fridge light switch on my bedroom door. So when my bedroom door is open the power to my grow box cuts off? Cos should anyone walk into my room when I'm not there the fan is very noisy and my box isn't light tight.
    I assume its feasible but more complicated than suspected because of the amount of power the grow box uses. I'm no electrician though

I do realise that a fridge light works when open not closed though, it was just the easiest way of describing it.
    ChamBong

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,399 Times

hi mate, i have no idea how to do it.. but it seems like it should be easy enough for someone with the skills..

think of it as a circuit which is complete with the door closed and broken with the door open
    current grow - a quick run of Power Plant in mapito by Rory B

"How is it that your fucking stupid soon-to-be-dead friends thought they might be able to steal my cannabis and then sell it back to me? Is this a declaration of war? Is this some white cunt's joke that black cunts don't get? 'Cause Im not fucking laughing Ni-ko-las!"

Thanks

It wouldn't be so hard to do. How many items exactly would you need to wire into the switch?

It would probably be safer and cheaper to put a lock on your door

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashpack For This Useful Post:

d-green (23-07-13), Lil Sindigo (19-07-13)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,399 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ashpack View Post
    It wouldn't be so hard to do. How many items exactly would you need to wire into the switch?

It would probably be safer and cheaper to put a lock on your door

lol.. yeah.

Simon Champion! Brighton Bounty Champion! Apple Hunt Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,780 Times

Yes, cos if the power suddenly cuts out when the door opens there is still gonna be a sound of the fans cutting out and stuff, I'd have thought. Also if you cut off power to the cf, there is going to be a smell.

Thanks

Doesn't matter at the moment. I smoke in the house and my flat mates new i had one before, not sure they know about the current grow but we are all moving out soon.
    I'm going snowboarding for 5 months then moving into my own place.

Getting everything ready before I go and storing it away so it's ready soon as I get back.
    Might be what I'm smoking at the moment making me think its a good idea ha but the place has a small study and I don't really want to lock it off permanently especially seeing as for the first few months I guess lots of mates/family will come visit they will be intrigued. This just came to mind as a solution and I was seeing if its doable safely & cheaply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chambong View Post
    Doesn't matter at the moment. I smoke in the house and my flat mates new i had one before, not sure they know about the current grow but we are all moving out soon.
    I'm going snowboarding for 5 months then moving into my own place.

Getting everything ready before I go and storing it away so it's ready soon as I get back.
    Might be what I'm smoking at the moment making me think its a good idea ha but the place has a small study and I don't really want to lock it off permanently especially seeing as for the first few months I guess lots of mates/family will come visit they will be intrigued. This just came to mind as a solution and I was seeing if its doable safely & cheaply.
    Yeah I think it would give you issues to be honest mate. Your dealing with fairly high power compared to a fridge light. Even if you managed to get it wired in i'm sure who ever wondered in and saw the cables all round your door would follow them strait to your grow box!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,882 Times

It is doable, but there are several considerations; not least of which might be accidental restriking of hot lamps, plus everything Lil S. said above about the noise.

However, you probably won't do it with a fridge switch (or at least not for long, anyway).

You might get away with a high-current microswitch (perhaps something like this one from RS), if you were careful about mounting it and covering any exposed terminals.

But, a better and safer way would be to use a low-Voltage switch to control a separate relay or contactor in its own box somewhere. You'd have more chance of hiding the wiring this way, too, and you could use a typical recessed magnetic burglar alarm switch as the contact. This would definitely be my preferred method.

You might also want to consider using a timer of some sort to delay everything switching back on for a few seconds or minutes after the door is closed.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anonymiss For This Useful Post:

Chambong (20-07-13), d-green (23-07-13), Lil Sindigo (20-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymiss View Post
    It is doable, but there are several considerations; not least of which might be accidental restriking of hot lamps, plus everything Lil S. said above about the noise.

However, you probably won't do it with a fridge switch (or at least not for long, anyway).

You might get away with a high-current microswitch (perhaps something like this one from RS), if you were careful about mounting it and covering any exposed terminals.

But, a better and safer way would be to use a low-Voltage switch to control a separate relay or contactor in its own box somewhere. You'd have more chance of hiding the wiring this way, too, and you could use a typical recessed magnetic burglar alarm switch as the contact. This would definitely be my preferred method.

You might also want to consider using a timer of some sort to delay everything switching back on for a few seconds or minutes after the door is closed.

THanks this was really helpful. will look into it and report back!