Thread: Digital ballast ! any good ?

Thanks

Default Digital ballast ! any good ?

Who is using them and are they any good ?
    I'm on my second the first was wet inside and I take full responsibility for it's failure , must have been in the growroom as a heater in veg or summit ..
    Second is still working a Lumatek Electronic Ballasts , dim-able, liking how I can use spent 600 tubes at 400 in veg and it works of a cheap pin timer ..

Thanks

Amen on long life from the timers.
    Two types of digital are used in the garden here. High frequency (Phantom) and low frequency (GE Ultra Max).
    The high frequency runs HID and the low frequency runs CMH, the two do not exchange.

CMH is the discharge light of choice but it only runs vertical and only on low frequency, magnetic ballasts are low frequency but output suffers enough to be noticed with a naked eye.
    Side lighting requires a 45 degree angle on the bulb, Sunpulse is the bulb for that, four different color temps available (10,000 K bulb includes UVA) and all of them will run at any angle, but only with a high frequency ballast.

Ballasts are kept outside the growing area in a cool, ventilated spot.
    The dimming function means you can use a 400 or a 600 watt bulb at the respective setting, using the 400 setting with a 600 bulbs will change the output spectrum from what is advertised as well as alter the life of the bulb, arc temperature is crucial.