Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Grow - White Widow: its the future, I've tasted it!

Thanks

Hi Sweet, I read ur diary as soon as I noticed the speckling as I feared it could be the dreaded spider mites and did a bit of research but thankfully I don't think they are mites. I'll have another look tomorrow morning when the lights come on. working from home for rest of the week so get to be with my mrs and green babies 6 days out of 7 - can't complain! although I find myself staring at the plants when I should be working, its highly adictive...

The things I saw, other than the 'late' catapilar were firstly an aphid, pretty sure it was cos of the wings and what could possibly be its lava, looked like tiny magot / lava with tiny antenas, white and pretty minging looking under the hand scope, but thankfully didnt look like the above.

I have been doing random checks on the leaves I can reach whenever I pop my head in the tent but not seen any more crawly things on the leaves I looked at so far.

Q: can you see the mites without magnification if you look closely? if not I'll spend the majority of tomorrow giving them a full check up cos if it is mites I guess I need to act now.

The only other thing I can think of whats causing the speckling / leaf burn could be the fact that I've 'attempted to spray feed the leaves in an attempt to knock off any beasties that may have set up home on the leaves, guess this could have stayed on the leaves a little too long and caused spots of burn?

Will have to keep a close eye on em,

Thx for the advice
    Eh! toilet mouth... there's a child's bike outside!

Second star to the right & straight on ‘til morning
    Thanks

Its possible to have the speckling from burn if you have sprayed them when they are under the light, but the fact I have mites with the exact kind of speckling makes me still think you could have mites but the fact they have wings doesnt sound like mites at all...although as this is my first grow too I am not really the best one to ask as I only have 2 months experience lol

If you stare at your plant for about 5-10 mins you will probably see one, they are alot easier to spot when they are mature red spiders, as the green ones are a bit harder to spot, but when i first saw the green mite I thought it was a an aphid of some kind but alas it was a mite.

If you have a magnifying glass look under the leaves for eggs.. white/clear little eggs.. and if you have some CRUSH CRUSH CRUSH *jitters*

I really really hope it turns to be something other than mites but i had two little holes like you have on the leaf too.and i dont have caterpillars in my tent Although if i did i would prefer the Alice in wonderland caterpillar.. his pipe looks rather nice wouldn't you say?

Anyway good look with the White Widow, yours look beautiful

"Rawwww you go girl......Show them men folk how its done!" - BomShiva.

ESB x MH , ESB & WW Grow Diary

Thanks

Looking at this pic >>

I would say it's looking like a calcium deficiencie if you are sure there are no mites. Now this could be due to to many ferts being giving to your plant's which has locked out other nutes.

Solution to fixing a Calcium deficiency
    To fix a calcium deficiency you can treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomite lime or Garden lime per quart of water, Or Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Calcium in them will fix a Calcium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
    Or you can take crushed up dolomite lime or garden lime in a gallon of water and water it in the soil. 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, which will be slow acting. Garden Gypsum, which is medium absorption. Limestone, which is medium absorption, Rock Phosphate and Animal wastes which are both medium/slow absorption.

Note: Caution when using gypsum to an already acid soil (pH that is less than 5.5) can have a very bad effect on different types of plants by effecting the absorption of soil aluminum, which is poison to plant roots.

Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 3 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 15 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Thanks

pwaorh what a read nice one MR P

love your extraction setup, very inconspicuous

sorry about your troubles but they seem to be minor so i wouldnt stress too much. nirvana arent too bad either they've served me well in the past..

if you really like Widow though i have too recommend dutch passions, check out the pics of my widow in me grow diary

how do know what fox piss smells like?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsinner View Post
    I really really hope it turns to be something other than mites but i had two little holes like you have on the leaf too.and i dont have caterpillars in my tent Although if i did i would prefer the Alice in wonderland caterpillar.. his pipe looks rather nice wouldn't you say?
    Agreed the pipe is cool! if i saw one with one id nab it off them for a quick toke!

Cheers for advice on the eggs and mites etc... will be having a look this evening... will update when i have investigated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkdj2003 View Post

I would say it's looking like a calcium deficiencie if you are sure there are no mites. Now this could be due to to many ferts being giving to your plant's which has locked out other nutes.

Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 3 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 15 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.
    Cheers for the advice bud, do most hydro shops sell the lime solutions you advised about??

With regards to flushing.. how long should we leave it until we start to nute feed again? and do we go back to gradual build up or stick with the same amount of nute's in each feed? just worried that with them being in coco they will start to get hungry very quick....

Thanks

Default Nute's

Just as an after thought guys... should we be using nutes every time we water? or do they require plain water feed once a week or summert?

cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPotter View Post
    Cheers for the advice bud, do most hydro shops sell the lime solutions you advised about??

With regards to flushing.. how long should we leave it until we start to nute feed again? and do we go back to gradual build up or stick with the same amount of nute's in each feed? just worried that with them being in coco they will start to get hungry very quick....
    Im not sure if the hydro shop will sell it.

How much and what food have you been using?

As your using coco you won't need to flush them. I thought you where using soil, my mistake sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianPotter View Post
    Just as an after thought guys... should we be using nutes every time we water? or do they require plain water feed once a week or summert?

cheers
    I always give four feeds and then a plain water and repeat until two weeks from the end of flowering.

Thanks

Right Mr P back on the scene from a hard days work - working at home aint all its cracked up to be, although I did have a nice lunch break up in the grow room, might have a pic-nic in their tomorrow ;-)

How much and what food have you been using?
    We've been using Canna A&B, Hydro shop guy advised we use it. Checked the Canna website and we should be OK to use for veg and flower, altough next time I think I'll go with other nutes as even Canna say their other nutes are better for the respective grow stages, still it should be fine for a first time, no chance of putting in the wrong one!

The dosage on the bottle says 4ml / ltr, Checked this and although slightly ambigous I believe it means add 4ml of A to 1ltr water and then 4ml of B and give it a good mix - Pls correct me if it's supposed to be 2ml of each as I dont want to keep on nuking them!

At first I thought it was 2ml of each and as I didnt want to nuke them at first I began em on about 0.5ml per liter, uping it ever few days as there was no signs of nute burn on the lower leaves.

Now we're at full recommended amout of 8ml / ltr (4ml A + 4ml B) as they seemed to be taking it without any detrimental effects (till now...)

Water with each feed (about every 3-5 days when top of soil is dry), although I just used plain water at the weekend for the first time (~wk4 of grow, 2nd day of flowering).

Thanks

Im not sure if the hydro shop will sell it.
    Been meaning to ask this, probably a daft question, is it 'safe' buying fert and equipment online just a tad paranoid...

Were quite lucky as our growshop is really near and very secluded so u can easily see anyone taking notes of car reg's etc... not that that's much of an issue as my moters still registered to my dad (sorry pops 4 when u get busted!).

Would probably prefer to buy on-line as each time we go in he seems to randomly pull prices out of the air, like Mr Miyagi with his chopsticks . I'm sure were being spanked on the prices £90 for a carbon filter?!!! just hesitant to shop online due the worry!

Know any decent online growshops?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast