Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: can carbon filter setup be reversed to create grow space

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,129 Times

Default can carbon filter setup be reversed to create grow space

i have a growdrobe as you can see but its not very big and i could do with making some space in there

my question is: can i put my carbon filter and exhaust fan outside the growdrobe so my inline exhaust fan would be sucking out the dirty air and blowing it into my carbon filter?

may sound a bit mad but just trying to find ways to create space

cheers guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00444.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	4389  
    Last edited by green grass; 24-05-09 at 05:37 PM. Reason: missed out a word

spengle Guest

really and truley mate your carbon filter wants to be above your light and at the top of your grow room. the idea is to remover the warm used air... hot air rises!. that alone would give you more space.

Thanks

thanks for the tip spengle. only thing is i dont want to lose any height and i will if i mount at the top so i was thinking of having the exhaust fan/ducting at the top so to remove the heat but to do it the way i suggested before

is there any reason i cant send the exhaust air into the centre of the filter using my inline exhaust fan and the air escape through the filter that way which i guess is reversing the fan and filter setup?

cheers pal

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

Yes, you can mount it outside & blow through it but it wont be as efficient, plus you would need to put something like a sock inside to protect the inside (a bit like the cover protects the outside).

why not build a box fit the filter inside and suck the air through that from the grow-room.

Thanks

Just mount it outside and above your growdrobe. Blow your hot air through it. No problems. That is the most common method. I don't see the point in having the filter exhaust back into the growroom. You would be recycling heat into the box. Also you want that fresh(hot) air from the filter to go into the surrounding area to avoid stink leakage.

Jah Bless
    GM
    Legalize marijuana...
    ...it could build up a failing economy -Tosh

weed gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no weed

Thanks

cheers guys. as soon as i get time i will get it done as i will need the space for my next grow which i will be starting my grow diary on sunday

watch this space

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Bimble View Post
    Yes, you can mount it outside & blow through it but it wont be as efficient, plus you would need to put something like a sock inside to protect the inside (a bit like the cover protects the outside).

why not build a box fit the filter inside and suck the air through that from the grow-room.

So your saying the fan is designed to suck harder then it blows? Interesting... However incorrect...

The fan is rated for a CFM, Cubic Foor per Minute, and it doesn't matter if it's sucking or blowing. Now that CFM rating is rated with no exhaust tubes attached or filters attached... Technically speaking attaching ducting to it and a filter will reduce technical effciency no matter what....

Sucking or blowing has no effect. When the fan is on the blade spins the air moves and the rest is up to the set up... But it does not lose "more" efficiency when hooked up to the blower side as opposed to the sucking side or vise versa. Thats what they are designed for, they are interchangeable.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,743 Times

I would have thought blowing through a fliter is less efficient as the initial surface area is lower in the middle than the outside & it doesn't have a protective cover on it.

Thanks

I have been wondering about this as my fan seems to blow with some force however the suction doesn't seem to be great. (adding a filter to the intake side would reduce suction further and thus CFM)

I have also found that I am in the same situation as the OP with space being limited and a fan+filter being pretty chunky.

A filter on the end of a duct blowing would also act as a muffler? reducing noise .....

However would this reduce the life of the carbon filter as the blow is more powerfull than the suck?

Sounds very kinky but it's a damn good question,

Ny,

Thanks

Im a noob but from the setups and what people say on here i`d think having the fillter above the light makes sence,there is nothin above the like the pant wont go above it and if it did you have problems lol so its free space whare as if it were at the side it kinda has the same effect

i donno im confused i wish you guys wouldnt confuse me lol :P
    Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    i wonder if it will leave you a note ''dear john.....'' when it trundles off to the neighbors house that is growing with a 600w light instead of your 400w.........sneaky little ..........
    Fathers nearly silent fan and fillter modClick here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast