Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: deciding mum and dad breeding discussion.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,575 Times

Default deciding mum and dad breeding discussion.

I thought this could be interesting.

from your selected parent strains how do you decide which is mum and dad?

I've read stuff by dj short saying sativa mum with indica dad, yet know shanti and nev at mns use alot of haze males and have seen that some crosses do better sativa dad.
    Also short claims mum gives smell and dad strength of smell etc.

any observation from anyone about the contribution of both parents?

particularly interested if you have done a cross both ways.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tokersupreme For This Useful Post:

THE DUDE ABIDES (23-01-14)

Thanks

yeah mate it helps a lot thanks for your input, think ill experiment with both. It seems there is no defintive answer really.

have you done any both ways?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tokersupreme For This Useful Post:

Duke1 (23-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,303 Times

hi i have done a little seed breeding with both indica and sativa and even through in some ruderalis genes,i have found and lost many a good male i have found ime that an afghan1 male and a sativa results in a shorter plant with a better flowering time,not sure i would be brave enough given my small gr to go sat/sat as they get very big and take forever to finish,my only attempt outgrew my shed and got planted outdoors,grew over 12 ft and never finished before the frost came.my a1 x thai did well a1 male and thai girl.with the autos its a whole new ballgame as you can get through many more generations quicker to extract the best and ditch the rest,this year i plan a cross between a landrace parvati and auto afghan express from positronics the aim is an auto with slightly longer veg period but still not photo dependent so as it has the great medical power of the parvati and the afghan for the resin production,the parvati has lots of thcv and abundant terpenes and terpenoids making for good medicine.i will be doing a diary on this years attempts,i also trying a graft hybrid from a friend which is the weirdest cannabis plant i ever seen!sounds nuts but the stems on the whole plant are square instead of round its a graft attempt between black domina and the parvati,the scion apeared to have died but a single green bud opened and grew but looks nothing like either the rootstock or the scion very strange but interesting,good luck

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duke1 For This Useful Post:

CocoMonkey (23-01-14), THE DUDE ABIDES (23-01-14), tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,403 Times

A bit off topic but has anyone wondered what would happen if you grafted a photoperiod to an auto rootstock? Would the photo stay in veg while the auto flowered?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CocoMonkey For This Useful Post:

Duke1 (23-01-14), tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,303 Times

try it cm you come up with the holy grail of ganja!
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoMonkey View Post
    A bit off topic but has anyone wondered what would happen if you grafted a photoperiod to an auto rootstock? Would the photo stay in veg while the auto flowered?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Duke1 For This Useful Post:

tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
    try it cm you come up with the holy grail of ganja!
    If I get the chance I will im just so busy this year

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CocoMonkey For This Useful Post:

Duke1 (23-01-14), tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Thanks

thanks for sharing your observations duke much appreciated!

good question coco, I suppose it depends where the decision to flower comes from within in the plant. I'd watch that experiment with interest!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tokersupreme For This Useful Post:

CocoMonkey (23-01-14), Duke1 (23-01-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tokersupreme View Post
    thanks for sharing your observations duke much appreciated!

good question coco, I suppose it depends where the decision to flower comes from within in the plant. I'd watch that experiment with interest!
    From what ive read the genetic makup is within the scion so in theory the plant would stay in veg while the auto flowered, but I cant help thinking that it would respond and flower, maybe at a slower rate. Imagine grafting a difficult long flowering thai to an auto, when the auto has finished flowering flip the lights back to 12/12, the flowering respons might be quicker and shorter if its not flowering already.

Back to your original question tho im not sure which is desirable but the only way to find out is experiment. Take two packs of regs, one pure sativa and one pure indica, put the male sativa to the indica female and put the indica male to sativa female.
    If space is an issue go with a sativa male as once hes done his deed you can chop him.

Ive got some black widow regs and im going to be breeding with ak47, gbomb, and critical, also black widow x black widow. Thats if I get a decent male lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CocoMonkey For This Useful Post:

tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 16,999 Times

I'd recommend talking cuts of every different female you flower out. Even more so now it's proven that they can be tagged, bagged and fridged. You can never really tell which one is the best until a few weeks after chop which is when it's a case of...wish I'd kept that one! and we've all been in that position.

And I've got to say, that as the feminized seeds have really got much more stable over the years, that using those to breed into might not be such a bad thing afterall unless anyone has a genuine explanation why it shouldn't be done

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goodbuddy For This Useful Post:

BunsenBurn (28-04-14), CocoMonkey (23-01-14), THE DUDE ABIDES (23-01-14), tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,979 Times

Quote Originally Posted by CocoMonkey View Post
    From what ive read the genetic makup is within the scion so in theory the plant would stay in veg while the auto flowered, but I cant help thinking that it would respond and flower, maybe at a slower rate. Imagine grafting a difficult long flowering thai to an auto, when the auto has finished flowering flip the lights back to 12/12, the flowering respons might be quicker and shorter if its not flowering already.

Back to your original question tho im not sure which is desirable but the only way to find out is experiment. Take two packs of regs, one pure sativa and one pure indica, put the male sativa to the indica female and put the indica male to sativa female.
    If space is an issue go with a sativa male as once hes done his deed you can chop him.

Ive got some black widow regs and im going to be breeding with ak47, gbomb, and critical, also black widow x black widow. Thats if I get a decent male lol
    Hi CM, I've done some breeding with the Black Widow male, BW x BW and BW x Trainwreck and BW x Blue Widow, not grown them out yet but my mate is just starting some now (see the latest post in my FROG BLOG, link below).

Mr Nice seeds reckon that the male Black Widow is a good one to breed with, not sure why, but that's what they say on their website.

Best of luck to all breeders and have fun trying for that special strain.

All good things
    TDA

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to THE DUDE ABIDES For This Useful Post:

CocoMonkey (23-01-14), fishrealhigh (13-03-14), Goodbuddy (23-01-14), tokersupreme (23-01-14)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast