Thread: Do you use spacers

Thanks

Default Do you use spacers

Hi, I am just a few days from putting my rockwool cubes into my nft tank, do any of you bother putting tiling spacers under your roockwool cube to lift it of the matting a bit, I read about putting spacers under the rockwool cube a few grows ago and have tried it, has anyone else heard of this and is it beneficial . cheers

mellowed Guest

Cant see it doing anything tbh mate because as soon as the rock wool cubes get wet it will just sink over it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

peartcart12 (13-04-14)

Thanks

hi pertcart12

now i can say its better to have the cubes propped up off the deck because those rockwool cubes just suck up the water and get drenched if they are flat on the deck (well every time ive put them on the deck anyway) i have tried many ways to to keep the cubes from touching the flow of water (wall plugs, tile spacers and even hydrocorn,) but like mellowed say as soon as those cubes get wet they are just going to sink down and sit on the deck (and the problem i get is that leads to overwatering)

ive been having hell trying to get an nft grow under my belt and out of about 4 or five attempts i have only got one grow under my belt with this system
    i find that for the 1st few weeks that the plants do great but as soon as my cubes take on to much water then my plants suffer

so what i have come up with is to scrap the cubes altogether and use jiffys for my clones/seedlings then get some small 3" black pots and drill holes over the sides and over the bottom of the pot then fill half the pot with hydrocorn and put the jiffy with the clone/seedling in then top up with more hydrocorn

i feel that there is many benefits from having the plants in pots than just cubes sitting strait on the deck or propped up for that matter as i belive that the roots have more to grip on to before they shoot out over the top tray which then means my plants have more support and dont fall about all over the place

but i shall find this out as ive only just started to put my plants in pots but so far ive not had any probs but time can only tell

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bushgrower For This Useful Post:

peartcart12 (13-04-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,113 Times

What he said !! ^^^

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fieldy For This Useful Post:

bushgrower (09-04-14), peartcart12 (13-04-14)