Thread: Tri Meter - different readings - causing me problems / Grandad, you have this meter

Thanks

Default Tri Meter - different readings - causing me problems / Grandad, you have this meter

Hello

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...libration-help

anyone else own the tri meter that I have linked too. I believe Grandad has this meter, interested to see how he got on.

I have been having issues with high EC run off.

I calibrated this with PH4 and PH7 and EC 2.76 before using this.

i calibrated it again today and it seemed the EC was out by 0.20, and the PH was out by 0.10.

they are both reading correctly now according to the calibration, but what i was finding that my water background is 0.32 but the EC meter after calibration was adding 0.20 on as if it was already calibrated correctly previously.

so i calibrated again and got it to the correct values as per the calibration levels.

now i filled my 47l res tank with water and some grow, brining the levels to EC 0.5 and PH 5.8

so i went to flush my plants as there readings of EC was high and PH was low.

i have thrown approx. 30L through my plants and continue to do so, so i get the correct levels coming out. PH 5.5 and EC 0.69 is coming out at the moment. (5.8 ph and 0.5ec going in)

now in the meantime the res tank readings have changed, the PH went to 5.9 and is now showing 6.1 and it has been a couple of hours, nothing else added to the res take

is it normal for the readings to change, or is it a suspect meter. i am leaving it as long as i practically can, i,e give it a good stir and wait minutes. i mean i can wait an hour and it not change but generally it seems to change.

i do have a pump at the bottom of the res to help keep it moving.

think i need to buy another EC/PH reader to be on the safe side? and then i have something to compare?

am i being a noob or do you think that sounds like the meter is crap?
    Last edited by legalizeme; 14-04-14 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks

Its normal matey, don't panic the meter works fine

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,245 Times

yea mate, they aren't great. I'm back using my blue lab pH pen
    Grandad's 40 ounces the easy way(2 plants) critical & ice (aqua farm scrogging)https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...tical-and-ice)
    Beginners guide to aqua/water farming with DWC upgrade https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-Water-farming
    critical and white diesel rdwc https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...Diesel)/page23

FORUM RULES............ please read https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ules-And-Facts!

Thanks

agh.

I am having difficulties with my EC/PH readings

with it being my first time and that these tri meters might be hit and miss, that certainly is not going to help.

Thanks

when checking run offs.

is it normal to expect smaller amounts to have higher readings than a larger amount.

I will explain

for example I am flushing my plants, over a bucket. if I take the reading from the bucket it is the same as what is going in at the top on the EC readings.

if I take the readings in a more concentrated form for example a small glass then the reading can be higher.

which one do you go by?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,815 Times

could salt residue in ur run off pots bein hindering??

Thanks

no idea. it is all new to me.

all I know is my plants are stuggling.

I have had to flush them to bring them back to a lower EC.

problem I have now is the PH is 5.5 for each plant when 5.8 is going in. to me this means they are not feeding the nutrients, hence why I am seeing potential problems.

so I have flushed them and will hopefully get there PH to rise.