Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what can I put in my net pots

QUICKsilver2FU Guest

Default what can I put in my net pots

I am in the process of building a dwc bubbler.

I was wondering what I could use in the net pots. I know i could simply buy a small bag hydroton clay pebbles but im more interested in trying something else.

The old hydro system I built was a top to bottom water pump design which i used standard pots with a few marbles in the bottom and perlite as the supporting medium.

So any suggestions on an alternative to clay pebbles. I was thinking small stones from the beach or maybe even marbles. I have a bag coloured decorative pebbles for my garden i could use.

Cheers

mellowed Guest

seeing as its only for support or stability rather than moisure control then I cant see why not. Make sure you clean them properly though.

Ah hang on a min.

Your gonna need some type of rock to hold moisture while they are taking root an making there way down to the res unless you have a dripper fitted but in my experience that takes them a while to find the res then........ I tried hand watering rather than having a res full of water an slight nutes an it took ages but when I fill the res an turned the air stone on they only take a few days.

Tbh I would just use the hydroton balls a save trouble lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mellowed For This Useful Post:

QUICKsilver2FU Guest

I'm going to put my seedlings in rockwool cubes and use any of the mentioned to support the cube.

I never used anything other than perlite to support my seedling in my old drip system. was made out of a paint pot witha sunny Delight bottle glued upside down in the centre surrounded by four pots. the water filled the bottle and flowed out of mini tubing directly into the pots.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to QUICKsilver2FU For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,917 Times

Id personally put ganja plants in them lol

Seriously tho you can use perlite but id go with the hydroton. You will need to really clean anything else and any stones from the beach will need repeated soaking to rid them of sea salt. Not worth the hassle dude.

QUICKsilver2FU Guest

Must..... resist..... Urge..... to not spend money............Noooooooooooooo

but on a serious note the system is for two pots so i could use clay pebbles in one a go crazy and use funky coloured marbles in the other.

Thanks

How many ltrs of stones do you need?? It costs €1 a ltr here so it shouldnt cost much more over there.

QUICKsilver2FU Guest

I have a beach 30 seconds away from my home so unlimited stones i could boil up to use.

I also have a 25kg bag of decorative pebbles for gardening and I oddly have about 6 bags of marbles

As for how much i'll need im not sure because i haven't decided what size net pots to use.

Pistachio Guest

I like marbles.

No idea where mine are tho

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pistachio For This Useful Post:

KrazyDave (15-04-14)

Easy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pistachio View Post
    I like marbles.

No idea where mine are tho
    By the sounds of it ya lost them a long time ago lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Easy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I saw them the other day with mine and a few others. Dunno where they went to tho lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyDave For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast