Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: NFT set up thread,

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 34,377 Times

Default NFT set up thread,

i noticed didn't have one , m. i can't match yours but this is mine...

hello so you wanna run NFT great choice, pat on the back for trying.. IMO NFT is the easiest hydro system to run.. perfect for the hydro noob!!..as we all are when we start something new.

so your plants are in the small rockwool cubes, and the small rockwool cubes are in the big 4" cubes, and hopefully you have been dipping and squeezing into a nute mix. like ec 0.4 ph 5.8.. and have established rootage outt the bottom of the cube.. WHOOP WHOOP!!.. you done well getting this far fucking hate germing..

in the kit... you should have a small bit of hose. this it to empty out the ress come ress change.. you should be doing this every week without fail.. granted there will be people who will say you can run them for 2 weeks .. this is my view sorry chap. i just think as of rule of thumb get into doing weekly ress changes ... fresh is always best..

PUMP . attach the pipe/spout on the pump. may come with air pipe attachment i just attach and leave the screw knob bit open , think this just to let air get sucked in, take the small sponge outta the bottom of the pump. as its not needed.. but think i would leave in place if you are using the small 205 systems .. roots will reach the pump..

SPREADER MAT..
    Every NFT system needs Spreader Mat to ensure an even spread of water and nutrients across plant roots.

ok lets get to it..

i would do a dry run first !! just run the system for 24hours just to see what you are dealing with .. and can tweak anything that may need tweaking.. like ress temp issues

once all dialed i that's all you do is sit back and and watch them grow.. just maintain ress temps of 16c-22c . i was told 18c is the best spot as that's where you get more dissolved oxygen, as long as it does,nt go over 23 then your in danger of pythium..big problem.root rot.... i use 500ml frozen bottles to keep temps sweet .. last year was hot and i was replacing 4x500ml bottles every say 8 hour ... i know they don't stay frozen for longer than 10 mins but it works.. and i think low ec is key..

i cable tie my top tray to the bottom, lost the nuts..

i also use a kingspan lid for better insulation from the light . i use the 30mm thick stuff. i find the correx sheet that come with the system is shit.. so do your self a favor and sling the fucker. well keep it could come in handy for blocking light in the window or something ..

i also use i maxi jet 1000 to pump out the water on ress change day. this lets you keep the pump that comes with the system in place.. as they are not that powerful and take ages to drain the system,. so i recommend the maxi jet 1000.

so first off you are looking to raise the pump end of the tanks, thus stops pooling of the nutes and you don't want stagnant water, no! no!..

this time around i used 1" thick piece of timber for the back end and 2" for the front . for the trays to sit on... if i need few more mm i top up the front with roadl dahl books..

so just lay the spreader mat that comes with the system, on to the top tray. Cut lengths of spreader mat long enough to allow an overhang of a few inches from the channel into the tank. No trickling water sounds!

attatch the pumps and put in place , if you have a thumb bar to turn the pump up set this on 1/2 .. turn up later on when rootage has been established.

king span lit on i use weights on every corner to keep the kingspan warping or moving.

so i use me level. its always a good sign when you know the trays are set.

so that's it for now till the water has been left to sit for 24 hours.. to let the chlorine dissipate. nornally i would be making my nute mixes in 2x 20ltrs buckets. but as the water is in the trays i will be adding the nutes tomorrow. as its pointless using different water.. so this is where the maxi jet 1000 comes in handy..

sit the pump on its side, so that the water is whoooshing up to the back making a circular motion this will help mix the nutes ....DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE PUMP IF ADDING ACIDS TO THE NFT YOU DON'T WANT THE ACIDS GOING STRAIGHT UP THE PUMP TO THE ROOTS.. sorry for the caps but don't do it.

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (26-05-14), Bud Lightyear (26-05-14), Buddha73 (08-10-14), Buster (28-02-16), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), docsutton21 (31-08-14), dogman (26-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), ggotch (20-04-16), jericho (16-02-16), Loveless (09-02-15), MacFeegle (28-01-15), Mickyb (18-01-15), MrSeeweed (04-03-20), Murdock (26-05-14), Nftnewbiexx (06-04-16), noodle (26-12-16), onion ring (03-05-16), Pablo (27-02-18), Parked420 (13-12-14), Paulsfiasco (04-05-16), She's-a-Lady (22-11-14), Smokeface (19-07-14), stonedbunny (26-05-14), the green meanie (07-12-16), TheImpatientGardener (24-10-19)

Thanks

time to transplant to final resting place.

my water is set to ec o.4, ph 5.8 .

i like to use clay pebbles/balls if you have any handy, tile spacer some use but i find they collapse on them selves, i find these work a treat and i have 1000s of them so why not use them..

holes in the kingspan... needs to be maybe 4 inches from the hole where pump pumps water from and the back should be about 4-5 inchs from end of the top tray ..

so the holes are in the kingspan I'm using 2xplants per tray .

lift the kingspan set the pebbles where you want the cubes. put the cubes on the pebbles and replace the kingspam feeding the plant through the holes

once the cubes in place i cover the hole in the kingspan with mylar, so that algae does not form on the cubes,

well done time for a spliff,.. think thats all of it sure i missed some .. any feedback is well appreciated, or any questions, or comments... i know my wording is pants .. but hope this helps the nooob abit..oxy

you all have your own way please slap them here .. i'm all about making NFT easier than it already is ....happy days & happy NFT'ing.. party people..

:smiliegenerator_test:

breaking news for NFT growers... that dreaded vibration through the floor boards... its over with, gone, thank fuck . all i did was the tube that comes with the pump with the spout on.. i took few mm off that.. the spout is in the tray hole, and the pump is being suspended just staying there floating like ..... whoop whoop !!!! total stealthy .. .. fucking zip on the tent need a good slapping its loud as fook.. so just getting it out there .. it works a treat.. well happy .. all is good in the oxy hood now about fucking time....
    celebration time now NFT is :mcown:

up yours vibration.. i used to use course sponge under the pump.. atb oxy..
    Last edited by Oxy; 26-05-14 at 04:51 PM.

4. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

B.A.BARACUS (12-08-14), Bud Lightyear (26-05-14), Budbomb (16-09-15), Budzali (31-03-18), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), Danb (23-01-17), docsutton21 (31-08-14), dogman (26-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), MacFeegle (28-01-15), Mickyb (18-01-15), Murdock (26-05-14), Nftnewbiexx (06-04-16), noodle (26-12-16), Parked420 (13-12-14), She's-a-Lady (22-11-14), Smokeface (19-07-14), stonedbunny (26-05-14), Type M (08-10-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,511 Times

DON'T FORGET TO TURN OFF THE PUMP IF ADDING ACIDS TO THE NFT YOU DON'T WANT THE ACIDS GOING STRAIGHT UP THE PUMP TO THE ROOTS..
    hail to that,im prime example if you remember M? on them two runts nearly killed em doing this so top tip there Oxy..

and pat on the back for this mate,well done,a shit hot guide for nft growers and newbies...

Ultra Noob with a Sand grain brain (forever blowing bubbles)

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fairy For This Useful Post:

Budzali (31-03-18), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), dogman (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), Nftnewbiexx (06-04-16), Oxy (26-05-14), Pablo (27-02-18), _teapot_ (24-09-18)

BlackJack Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Oxy my next run is NFT so what resivouir temp is best? What is the silicone for and what is the mix rate? Thanks due. Fishing time!!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dogman For This Useful Post:

CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), Nftnewbiexx (06-04-16), Oxy (26-05-14)

Thanks

i'm a twat for turning the pumps off to do work, then not turning back on lol , yea i remember i done it a few times.. yea i wrote this and remembered m deleted his, cracker it was too. so if it help the noob i'm all about that puppy.. cheers fairy m8..

i got a sign on the back of door now....it says..... look back check plugs fat boy lol it works tho ..

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

Buddha73 (08-10-14), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), dogman (30-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    Oxy my next run is NFT so what resivouir temp is best? What is the silicone for and what is the mix rate? Thanks due. Fishing time!!
    hello dogman, glat to hear m8.... i found this m8 i use it at 0.5 ml per litre, i add this first before anything.. noticed greener plants from the off ,... love the stuff.. and its great for stabilizing ph and used as ph up..... so less acids used happy days ..

Silicon plays a significant role in the resistance of plants to multiple stresses including biotic and abiotic stresses. Silicon is also the only element that does not damage plants when accumulated in excess. However, the contribution of Silicon to plant growth has been largely ignored due to its universal existence in the earths crust. The beneficial effects of Silicon on plant growth in particular, are largely attributable to the characteristics of a silica gel that is accumulated on the epidermal tissues in the plant. These effects are expressed most clearly under high-density cultivation systems with heavy applications of nitrogen. Silicon is therefore recognized now as an agronomically essential element.

Recently, Silicon has become globally important because it generates resistance in many plants to diseases and pests, and may contribute to reduced rates of application of pesticides and fungicides. Silicon is also now considered as an environment-friendly element.

The amount of soluble silicon in soil is an important parameter in the process of soil formation and degradation. Behavior of silicon in soil is affected by draining of water, degree of reduction, pH, and temperature of soil. The solubilized Silicon in soil is eluviated together with Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium, etc., by draining of water. With the progress of soil reduction, solubilized Fe and Mn are eluviated, leading to eluviation of solubilized Silicon. These are the processes happening in the degraded paddy soils. Iron plays an important role in solubilizing Silicon. Iron is present as a coating membrane of Si–Al complex particles; and the reactive surface of these particles increases with reduction of soil, resulting in increased solubilization of Silicon. Although Silicon is a major component of soil, the solubility of Silicon compounds is usually extremely low, and a large amount of water is necessary to solubilize a sufficient amount of Silicon. The high rate of Silicon uptake under water-saturated and submerged conditions is because of increased solubilization of Silicon by a large amount of water, increased diffusion of solubilized Silicon to the roots, and increased solubility of soil Silicon as a result of reduction.

The effect of Silicon varies with the plant species and usually is more prominent in the plants accumulating a large amount of Si. Si is an agronomically essential element because Si deficiency causes significant reduction of yield. Si contributes to better growth of the plant through depression of excessive transpiration because excessive transpiration causes physiological shortage of water around heading, a time at which the plant requires vigorous transpiration while the functions of roots begin to decline. Silicon supply, especially at the stage of reproductive growth, increases dry weights of leaves and stems measurably, thus, the supply of Si during the reproductive stage is most important for plant growth. The supply of a large amount of Si is necessary for healthy growth and high yield. The concentrations of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), calcium (Ca), and manganese (Mn) decrease by Si supply. Si has a number of functions, such as stimulation of photosynthesis, enhancement of tissue strength, and reduction of plant transpiration rate.

tight lines ....
    Last edited by Oxy; 26-05-14 at 05:35 PM.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

Buddha73 (08-10-14), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), dogman (30-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), K.D.R.G.M. (26-05-14), MacFeegle (28-01-15), She's-a-Lady (22-11-14)

Thanks

Liquid Silicon................ what it says on the tin..

Liquid Silicon 1 litre Growth Technology environment control hydroponics

Silicon is a beneficial plant nutrient, found in virtually all natural soils but not – until now – in hydroponic nutrient solutions. Silicon will strengthen the plant walls producing stronger healthier plants with massive root systems and increased resistance to pests and disease. Liquid Silicon is highly beneficial to plants in the range of 10–30 ppm in the nutrient solution. It is not included, and cannot be included, at these levels, in nutrient concentrates. It needs to be added as a separate component by the grower. Liquid Silicon can be added to nutrient tanks every time a fresh batch is made up.
    Liquid Silicon… the missing element.

Improves uptake of nutrients and transport through the plant.
    Strengthens cell walls, helping plants to resist attacks from fungi and mites.
    Increases chlorophyll production leading to darker green leaves and improved light collection.
    Increases uptake of available CO2 and utilises the enhanced metabolic processes to deliver higher yields.
    Adds very useful extra potassium for enhanced flowering.

Liquid Silicon has an important role in the uptake and vascular transport of mineral nutrients, and can greatly improve the mechanical “strength” of the plant and its resistance to fungal diseases.

The addition of Liquid Silicon to nutrient solutions can greatly reduce the incidence and severity of fungal diseases including Botrytis (bud rot) and powdery mildew.

Recent research has demonstrated that raising the silicon concentration in hydroponic solutions produced thicker, whiter, healthier root systems and increased yields.

Silicon has also been shown to result in higher concentrations of chlorophyll per unit area of leaf tissue. This means that a plant is able to tolerate both lower and higher light levels by using more of the available light.
    The best pH UP

Liquid Silicon – like ALL silicon products – is very basic, it has a high pH, and can therefore be used effectively to raise the pH of hydroponic nutrient solutions. The extra silicon added is a bonus for the plants.

Strengthens plants
    Improves disease resistance
    Increases crop weight

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

Budzali (31-03-18), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), dogman (30-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), MacFeegle (28-01-15), maenam (15-03-15), Nftnewbiexx (06-04-16), She's-a-Lady (22-11-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 35,859 Times

nice one oxy, i,ll have to try one of these nft things lol, good stuff

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Murdock For This Useful Post:

Buddha73 (08-10-14), CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), dogman (30-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), Fieldy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), Nftnewbiexx (06-04-16), Oxy (26-05-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,511 Times

You wanna try it out M.maybe get Oxy to mentor ya, give him shout when ya ready like.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fairy For This Useful Post:

CAVEY1974 (12-02-21), dogman (30-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20), Murdock (26-05-14), Oxy (26-05-14)

Thanks

go for it m, i'm sure i can teach you a thing or two, after all its perfect for the growing noob lol.. na be nice to see you back rocking them.. any chance?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oxy For This Useful Post:

dogman (30-05-14), Fairy (26-05-14), GEORGE (04-03-20)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast