Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi Automated Growing

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,995 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Vador View Post
    The pi won't be powering the light just switching a relay on and off, the light circuit will be wired into the relay, any battery backup will most likely be just to power the pi
    I know a laptop wont power the light mate, see the at the end?

Just saying a power cut will affect most growers as the light goes out and timers are off when it returns or cause hot strikes.

Laptop to power a hps...ffs have you noticed any of my posts at all, you really think thats what i thought....ha hah aha ha aah ah ah ah a a ah aa hah a ahah ah ah

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chufuginlookinat For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), leyus (11-08-14)

Thanks

Looks good. Thats where i want to get my set up to. Currently i have it monitoring the enviroment (temps, humidity, lux).

Could you provide any details on the relays and how you control them ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsheen1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,268 Times

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leyus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,053 Times

Quote Originally Posted by leyus View Post
    Good stuff mate. I start learning programming today. You gave me motivation!
    What language did you go for??
    Python is an easy to learn but very powerful language, that's where I started and it definitely points you in the right direction to learn other languages,
    Moved on to objective c now, very technical though

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vador For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,268 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Vador View Post
    What language did you go for??
    Python is an easy to learn but very powerful language, that's where I started and it definitely points you in the right direction to learn other languages,
    Moved on to objective c now, very technical though

I started with HTML and Python.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leyus For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), Vador (12-08-14)

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just noticed the interest in my setup, just to clarify if there is power loss to the RaspberryPi all devices default to on (Light, Humidifier, Fan) when power is restored the Pi will boot up again and start the program and continue to automate the rig. This is just as safe as using mechanical timers etc.

I'll try and do a bit of a write-up soon to help you on your way, maybe even some code samples if your extra lucky but the setup is quite hacked together. But I'll try.

Here is a quick run down of components in the system.
    Raspberry Pi
    DHT11 (Humidity and temperature sensor)
    DS18b20 (A higher resolution temperature sensor)
    A 4 Channel relay board http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-...item2ecb851b17
    A logictech webcam
    And standard mains powered devices like fans, lights and a humidifier connected to the relay board.

The relay board is connect to the GPIO on the Raspberry Pi (The big pin header)

The DHT11 sensor is a hard one to work with basically I had to use a Python script released by Adafruit which consumes a lot of CPU time to take the readings. I'd probably recommend people use other humidity sensors in the future.

Images are captured from the webcam using fswebcam.
    The server is written in nodeJS and controls the GPIO on the RaspberryPI to control the relays and execute the Python (and a couple of bash scripts) to get data.

Anyway that is the basic setup of the rig.

I've been running this setup for a few weeks and it's been highly reliable (actually no issues as far) (other than an ethernet cable getting disconnected which only affects the remote access part)

Also all data is sent secured over HTTPS and is password protected to avoid prying eyes.

More to follow.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by GreenMuse; 12-08-14 at 09:31 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenMuse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), leyus (13-08-14), M_C (12-08-14), Vador (12-08-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsheen1 View Post
    Looks good. Thats where i want to get my set up to. Currently i have it monitoring the enviroment (temps, humidity, lux).

Could you provide any details on the relays and how you control them ?
    Can't send PMs but using this to notify you, hopefully... See previous post for some detail

(sorry mods)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMuse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,995 Times

can you not buy these things already? Or is this different and im just not seening it?

Fair play that you are able to knock it up easy enough, but its not for the average joe i think.

This sort of thing>>>>ww.autogrow.com/products/stand-alone-controllers/growroom-controllers/intelliclimate-climate-control There are others around. Some take a pay as you go sim card.

But if you can get it down to a APP for £1.99 for android inc Hardware that would be awesome lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to chufuginlookinat For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16)

Thanks

Some more photos for youuuu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0197.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	270379

The grow as it currently stands :3

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0201.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	270380

And the Raspberry Pi. The board on the left just has the DHT11 humidity sensor and terminal blocks to connect to the temperature sensor and a couple of pull up resistors for the data lines of both. The box it is sitting on contains the relay board and the wires of the lamp (actually just goes to a 4-gang 13amp extension cable), the fan and the humidifier. The wires going off to the right of the Pi connect to that to provide power to the relays and control them. There is a plug going off from the inside of the box to the mains to provide power for all the devices (humidifier, lamp, fan). (It's fused by that plug at the moment but I'd prefer each device to be individually fused in the future so it's fused with different rated fuses)

And that is about it for now, feel free to ask more questions.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenMuse For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (31-08-16), leyus (13-08-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chufuginlookinat View Post
    can you not buy these things already? Or is this different and im just not seening it?

Fair play that you are able to knock it up easy enough, but its not for the average joe i think.

This sort of thing>>>>ww.autogrow.com/products/stand-alone-controllers/growroom-controllers/intelliclimate-climate-control There are others around. Some take a pay as you go sim card.

But if you can get it down to a APP for £1.99 for android inc Hardware that would be awesome lol
    That's nice but why buy off the shelf when you can make something to your exact needs.
    If you really wanted to it would be rather trivial to develop an app to control my set up, but I just use it on my phone as a web app (it is optimised to work on phone screens)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenMuse For This Useful Post:

concealedspaces (26-11-14), GEORGE (31-08-16), leyus (13-08-14)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast