Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First timer looking for opinions on set up

Thanks

Default First timer looking for opinions on set up

Hey everyone, I'm looking to set up a small ebb and flow hydroponic system. I'm moving in January and am trying to learn as much as I can before then.( going to start my first grow in January). I just want a few flowering plants to keep me and my roommate stoned through college. I'm going to be living in a house not a apartment or public type of building and want to grow in a closet that's 9 ft wide 5 ft deep and 8 ft ceilings. I have done a lot of research and plan on doing a lot more but I wanted to hear people's thoughts and opinions. What you would do in my situation. I have ideas on how to set up a ebb and flow system,and I've read a lot about post germination. I guess I need help with things like lighting, carbon air filters, spacing and whatever else you could advise.I want to divide my closet into a flowering room and veg. Room. If I have my way I would like to start with 3 autos to harvest as fast as possible. While I wait o the autos I want to start 3 normals. In my veg. Room. Ithink just 2 mothers would be enough. What kind of lighting would be best for both rooms? Is their a best bulb? Do you have recommendations for carbon air filters and fans. How much airflow I should have? Should I have 3 separate pots or 1 big pot. Also should I add co2 water when I mix nutrients? I know I'm asking a lot but if you have the time please help. I plan on doing research for a few more months but want to learn as much as possible from as many experienced people as possible.thanks

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

I would really look at led for both veg and flower. You can get more light for less heat and smaller ventilation systems or air conditioning. I would use an led that draws 300-400 watts with at least 3 watt leds. That would give you about the same par value as a 600hps. Veg could be much lower watts.

I don't know eb and flow if it requires a pump running in a res you may need a chiller that could get spendy.

If led isn't your style get a 600hps with an dimmable balast, that way you can turn it down if temps get out of hand. You can also dim down to abt 250 for young plants.

Guys do grow with all kinds of CFL's etc, but 600hps is the minimum if you want weight.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,551 Times

Hey mate glad to have you on board

If you have an active intake (fresh air forced in the room) then you should be ok for up to a 600w HPS without a cool tube. I say this because LED'S can be expensive when your trying to get it right.

(Couple of Mars 2 led lights being tested soon so look out for some up comming diaries)

Have the intake bring outdoor fresh air in, then you can vent your box in your house without recirculating hot air.

For seedling lights and veg lights go and grab some high output T5 grow lights. Make sure your HPS is dimmable to 250/400. I would do this

T5 for first 3 weeks >

250w metal halide bulb 1 month >

400w dual spectrum bulb for flowering your autos >

600 dual spec/red HPS bulb for flowering your normal plants.

This will keep costs down at the start and you won't be flowering autos under an unsuitable coloured light. Your photo sensitive plants won't lack the right spectrum when you are flowering your autos either so everything is happy.

I will edit this post in a sec and find a great link I keep posting to people as well

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,551 Times

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobrolo For This Useful Post:

Iluvdank (03-08-14)

Thanks

Dont do hydro for first time .not much different in yeild and easier

Thanks

Hey there, thank you so much for the advice and the great link. Your one of few people who have told me not to use led. Is it because price or other reason? And for the air coming from the outside, My part of Texas is either below 45 or above 95 with maybe a month or 2 of 60-85 weather would it still be a good idea in hot and cool tempatures? And what about a carbon air filter? Thank for the help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sithomas78 View Post
    Dont do hydro for first time .not much different in yeild and easier
    What would you reccomend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    I would really look at led for both veg and flower. You can get more light for less heat and smaller ventilation systems or air conditioning. I would use an led that draws 300-400 watts with at least 3 watt leds. That would give you about the same par value as a 600hps. Veg could be much lower watts.

I don't know eb and flow if it requires a pump running in a res you may need a chiller that could get spendy.

If led isn't your style get a 600hps with an dimmable balast, that way you can turn it down if temps get out of hand. You can also dim down to abt 250 for young plants.

Guys do grow with all kinds of CFL's etc, but 600hps is the minimum if you want weight.
    Hey bud, thanks for the advise. As of now I see myself going the led route. Would 600 watt led be to much?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,624 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvdank View Post
    Hey bud, thanks for the advise. As of now I see myself going the led route. Would 600 watt led be to much?
    Im growing in a 5.5x8.5 space with a 600 wall watt led on a mover I can cover a footprint of 4x6. Right now i get 10+ oz a month continuous, when dialed in I expect 14+.

Here's the grow

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=120035

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jingo View Post
    Im growing in a 5.5x8.5 space with a 600 wall watt led on a mover I can cover a footprint of 4x6. Right now i get 10+ oz a month continuous, when dialed in I expect 14+.

Here's the grow

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=120035
    That's a awesome set up man. It their a diary?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast