Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why do i have a yellow line across my seedling leaves?

Thanks

Default why do i have a yellow line across my seedling leaves?

My best guess is magnesium deficiency from looking at the sticky threads with pics but this looks a little different. My seedlings are 5 days old above soil, they've had nothing but tap water except for the last time i watered them i switched to spring water. I tested my tap water and fresh spring water with a cheap pool testing kit that only ranges from 6.8 to 7.8.
    My tap water is 7.8 and my spring water is 6.8 so i figured the spring water was better. I know i need better test equipment.
    This morning my leaves looked like this on 2 of my seedlings. My seedlings are anywhere from an inch to an inch and a half above the soil. The light is about 4 inches from the tallest seedling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140926_091133.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	274126

Is this a problem with lighting or maybe the water i am using? As far as i know i shouldn't be feeding them with anything except water at this stage right?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,188 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis1:29 View Post
    As far as i know i shouldn't be feeding them with anything except water at this stage right?
    depends on your medium m8, soil, coco etc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Special Branch View Post
    depends on your medium m8, soil, coco etc
    I will eventually switch to a hydroponic setup soon but for right now my seedlings are growing in one of those seed starting kits i got from home depot. It's those circle pellets that expand when water first hits it. I'm sure there is some kind of feed in that soil but i don't know what is in it.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

They're coco mate, no feed in them at all
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Genesis1:29 (26-09-14)

Thanks

yeh your right there G, they do... i think they also have a ph of in around 5 so no need to adjust tap water ph yet..

tbh i havent came across your problem before in my experiance but try putting something over them, like cling film to stop them drying out might help

Good luck m8

Thanks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Burpee-16...5016/203110200

This is what i used to get started. It doesn't say what's in the soil.

Thanks

I have miracle gro
    4% nitrogen
    12% phosphate
    4% soluble potash

This is all i have to work with. I'm very new at this and i don't want to buy anything online. Should i use this stuff? It says to use half strength to start with for new plantings to settle soil and feed roots. Of course this stuff was designed for something else.

Thanks

Now jiffy pellets on the other hand has got everything you could require for seed germination or for even taking cuttings apart from the essential part which is obviously water. There’s enough nutrient in there, there’s enough compost in there to keep a cutting or a seedling going until it’s got a good healthy root system. Jiffy pellets are ideal for beginners, completely and utterly due to the fact that all you have to do [drops jiffy pellet into container of water] is soak them in water.

Now the key to jiffy pellets is only to soak them for approximately five minutes. Now that is dependent on how hot or how cold the water is; if it’s very warm water, it’ll take less time, if it’s very cold water it will take more time. Now what we’ll do is that as soon as that jiffy pellet has swollen to its potential, I’ll pull it out to show you exactly how swollen it should be. The key with jiffy pellets is DO NOT oversoak them, I cannot stress that more. If you oversoak a jiffy pellet, they end up waterlogged.

When they’re waterlogged, if you put a seedling in, the seedling will germinate, or the cutting will take, but because they’re so waterlogged, no air to the root system and the root system will starve resulting in possibly a dead plant. If not a dead plant, a very stressed plant.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special Branch For This Useful Post:

Fairy (26-09-14), M_C (26-09-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 42,730 Times

I tried to read up a bit on that burpee, but their site doesn't do mobile well.

Those seedlings look a lot like mine always did when I used a hot soil to start them. They pulled through eventually but new roots don't like much nutes of a ph to far out.

Any big manufacturer should know to ph their stuff to 6.5, but who knows.

If that medium is coco you will have to feed if they stay in there more than a week or so.
    "If science can't be questioned, It's not science anymore"

~Aaron Rogers

"This is not an economic turndown, it is a takedown"

~ Catherin Austin Fitts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jingo For This Useful Post:

Genesis1:29 (26-09-14)

Thanks

Seed starting in a great alternative to soil.
    Eco-Friendly seed starting mix is one compressed brick made of renewable resource coconut fiber. This concentrated seed starting mix saves space. Just add water and the brick expands a volume of about 8 quarts in minutes and is great for plants!
    Looks like M C was right. Sorry i doubted you but i thought it had some type of feed in it. So this yellow is some kind of deficiency and i need to start looking into getting some feed for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast