Thread: Cloning/cutting questions....

Thanks

Default Cloning/cutting questions....

I just started my third week of flowering last Wed.
    I have 2 female pure afghans, each in about a total of about 6 or 7 gallon container. The soil is MG Potting Mix with time released nutes. (3 months)
    They are under a 150 watt hps light for the 12/12. They vegged for 5 weeks before going to 12/12.
    First, I have bought a cloning gel from the local nursery.
    It comes in a clear plastic cup, about the size of a pudding cup.
    Has anyone used these, and if so, with what success?
    Seems easier than the root powder. My concern is since the cup is clear, it's supposed to let you watch the rooting progress. But if it's clear, won't that expose the new roots to light, and therefore cause problems? Just seems like a design flaw...but they are supposed to be for tomatoes..so...?
    As far as the cutting/clone itself, it advises that the clone should be at least 5". I can't find anywhere that shows in detail (I'm a picture guy), of how to take the clone, where from, etc.
    Most of my viable side branches are 6-9" long, with 4 side leaves or so and the top grow node. They are starting to show the hairs like the mother.
    Is this a good time to take the cuttings for cloning? I should be @ 8-1/2 weeks now. Do I try and take the whole branch for cloning, or just a portion of it? It just seems most clones I've seen working, are all about 3 or 4 inches tall, and fit easily into a nursery tray. If I take the whole branch it seems it would be hard to fit them into any tray to try and keep them moist and humid as advised. I have the thread of how to take the cutting, but there isn't a lot of detail as to exactly where to cut it, and at what places it's best to cut. They talk about cutting at the growth tip, but I'm still confused as to what exactly that is.

As usual, any advise is appreciated...

Peace

Hawk
    Give me the great outdoors, a good hunting dog, and a beautiful woman.......
    and you can keep the great outdoors and the good hunting dog.......

Thanks

Hi mate you probly dont leave the clone in the cup of gel you dip the clone into it then plant it in soil or soilless medium. Also you might be a little late to take clones becase you have already started flowering your plant the chemistry of the plant changes when it is flowering so taking clones now would meen the clone would have to revert back to the vegy stage when it starts rooting which can cause the plants stability to change and it may also diminish your clones yeild.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,660 Times

as darko says 3 weeks into flower is not the best time to take clones unless you are in danger of looseing a paticular strain you love.no harm in trying though it is doable although they will take longer to root for the reasons darko stated.
    if you're retired or you ain't got a job and you ain't growing and smoking weed ,i don't know what the fuck you are doing!

Thanks

Thanx Darko, wert (again)
    I could have sworn somewhere in the posts I had seen someone advising to wait until the 9th week to take clones. I'll have to find it.
    The only danger here is that I lose any possible "next grow" plants as my seeds are now all gone. I have 2 in the outdoor garden, but hate to count on them being female for anymore. I know these indoors are fems, so if it is plausible, I'd like to try and take the clones from one of them.
    Darko, the gel I have is a direct gel, ie, the clone sits in the gel, not applied to stem. It's kinda strange, but thought it would be worth a shot if I can get a few possible clones. Supposedly these containers and the gel are re-usable as well.
    I just want to have something to start once grow is done, and I don't want to count on the 2 outdoor to give me anything. Just want to be a bonus if one of them is fem. Unfortunately, I won't know that for another month or 2.
    To let you both know, I have to drive 5-1/2 hours round trip to buy mine right now. Not to mention the cost of gas, etc. I really want to see if I can get some clones going of the girls I have now.
    From what I hear I can reveg them too. I know it takes longer, but if I have nothing else to grow....
    Here are some pics of the flowers(?) at this point.

Hope progress wise I'm where I should be.
    I appreciate you both helping out! My thank you buttons don't work...so.....thank you!

Peace

Hawk