Thread: HELP'!! Fungus gnats!! Using "gnat off"

Thanks

Default HELP'!! Fungus gnats!! Using "gnat off"

Hey guys, anyone know about fungus gnats?
    I've got a problem in my tent, there are what I think are fungus gnats breeding in my soil, when I open the tent they seem to come out and linger around my ceiling light. I have put fly paper up every day for a few days now and there are about 100 or so on the paper every day.
    Yesterday I used something called "Gnat off" 1ml to a litre, the thing is now the little bastards have found their way out and I'm finding them downstairs and it's pissing me off!!

Any thoughts?

Peace..

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 9,472 Times

First of all the yellow sticky strips do a great job hang a good few of them in your room. Direct a fan at the top of your pots and allow top couple inches to dry out before watering make sure there is sufficient air circulation. Fungus gnats like wet soil and warm spots these measures will def help to control the infestation and with using the gnat off hopefully eradicate them.
    Just a pointer keep the yellow sticky strips up long after you stop seeing them.
    Last edited by kbag; 15-10-14 at 03:46 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks

Thanks kbag, I'm on it now
    Fingers crossed, it does seem a little bit better today so hopefully soon...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

Sharp sand on the top of the soil will help.

Now they are loose in the house, any other household plants you have are also potentially infested too so treat them all
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 59,501 Times

You need to end ther breeding cycle by killing the flyers before they get a chance to lay eggs in the soil.
    If my memory serves me right....fungus gnats only have a life span of a few days.
    So you need to be on the ball.
    It sounds like a bad infestation you got if thers about a hundred on sticky traps every day.

Hang the traps up high...lay them on drainage trays...place on soil.....just get them everywer lol.

A nuked the fuckers....along with sticky traps and gnat off.
    Got rid of them pretty quick.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,780 Times

Tip...

put water in your saucers & let the soil take it in rather than water the top of the soil - try to keep the top of the soil as dry as you can to discourage the little feckers!

Thanks

Ok. Neem drench the soil every 3 days for 12 days. Every three days. Every three days. Ok theres is a reason why I stress three days. Every three days is there breeding cycle. It takes 4 waterings with neem to disrupt there breeding cycle to wipe them out. If super bad use a pyrethrin xr or tr I forget. That's made from flowers so it's ok to use. Use that after you water, watering will force them out of the soil into the air, bug bomb kills them in the air. Look into using neem all the time as part of a integrated pest management foiler spray once a week all the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to b2323 For This Useful Post:

upnorthgrower (17-10-14)

Thanks

I used to have the bloody things until I read a post from poet I think about pea gravel put it 2 inch thick on top off pots done and dusted no more horrid fucking basterd flys nothing worse than sat eating the things wile trimming
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT FOR FUCK SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo1 For This Useful Post:

oods (28-10-14)

Thanks

All dried now and flies have disappeared!! No real harm done, just effing annoying lol
    Thanks to all for chipping in :-)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to oods For This Useful Post:

M_C (29-10-14)

Thanks

Good to hear things turned out alright