Thread: Bitter/Green Taste

Thanks
    Provided Answers: 4

Default Answered: Bitter/Green Taste

Hello everyone,
    Lets start with the back story, I did this last grow-o-mine with the right...everything for the first time! Yay me! I grew 3 plants: 1 Fruit Punch (feminized), 1 Strawberry Blue (feminized), and 1 White Rhino (feminized); grown in approx. 4 gallon pots. I used Foxfarm, "Grow Big" during veg, and "Tiger Bloom" during flower. They were beautiful plants with a very sweet and distinct aroma to each, unfortunately the pure indica White Rhino did not agree with the climate that the other two loved. In a nutshell, it got used for edibles. The other two (Fruit Punch and Strawberry Blue) got a full flush with 15+ gallons of water 2.5 weeks before harvest. They took about a 7 -12 days to dry and Now I am "burping" them.

First question: How long do I have to "burp" them before they actually taste like quality bud? I just smoked a bowl and although I am high, it was not a good bowl.

Second question: What is the best method for "burping"? I was told 15 min intervals, but I was also told 2 hours open once per day.

Third question: What type of container is best? I have one plant "burping" in flat tupperware knock off's, and the other in glass Mason jars.

I understand that patience may be the answer to my first question. Any help is appreciated.
    “I am a man of simple tastes easily satisfied with the best!”

2. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo_Jones View Post
    I hanged them on a line in my basement. They are definitely dry, but they have only been so for about 2 weeks.
    Getting the cure right all starts with how you dry the buds. This is so important & is essentially the last hurdle (after nailing the grow part) to producing top shelf weed. Where possible you should dry the buds still on the storks as that helps slow down the process just enough to preserve the flavours.

The optimum drying conditions are:

1. Temperature: 18-22 degrees. Any higher & it will dry too quick & you get the hay smelling result & lose all flavour. Any lower & it would just take ages.

2. Drying in darkness: Light degrades THC, so always dry in total darkness. Sounds like you already had that drying in the basement though.

3. Humidity: Less than 70%. Higher and you risk mold & that would suck.

4. Air flow: I dry in my tent so i have the extractor on maximum & also have a couple of indirect fans running - keeping the air moving & helping to avoid mold.

5. The first indication that the buds are ready to jar are when you get that first snap from the stork. That means you're 95% dry - which is what you want. It's that last 5% that helps the magic happen.

With all of the above checked I am usually ready to jar up after about 5-6 days maximum. It is definitely a patience game but always worth it when you break open a bud a few weeks later & your nostrils are hit by that fruity skunky deliciousness.

Good luck dude."

ganjagunman Guest

If its tasting like grass then its probably still wet. Personally I dry mine on the bottom floor of my wardrobe, shuffle them around each day for 5 - 7 days then put them in jars to sweat then either take the lid off every few hours to air them or take the buds or take the buds back out again. Once they are dry you can leave them in the jar and theyl get better and better, ive got some widow thats been in the jar 3 weeks now takes my face off when i open it up. How did you dry yours?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ganjagunman For This Useful Post:

Juggalo_Jones (23-10-14)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,352 Times
    Provided Answers: 53

Did you remove the sugar leaves before attempting the cure? They can negatively affect flavour.
    Plastic degrades THC so try & solely use glass jars or even brown paper bags.
    A good cure takes a month for me.
    I open the jars once a day for the first three days. Then twice a week for the next 2 weeks. Then leave them closed for another 2 weeks. I generally burp for 15 mins & Will give the contents a good shake about. Keep the jars in the coolest place possible like a garage or shed. Good luck.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Bubbla (23-10-14), Juggalo_Jones (23-10-14)

Thanks

I fully trimmed them before I dried them. I think you answered my question, thank you. Also, I'll take them out of the plastic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Juggalo_Jones For This Useful Post:

Type M (23-10-14)

Thanks

I hanged them on a line in my basement. They are definitely dry, but they have only been so for about 2 weeks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo_Jones View Post
    Getting the cure right all starts with how you dry the buds. This is so important & is essentially the last hurdle (after nailing the grow part) to producing top shelf weed. Where possible you should dry the buds still on the storks as that helps slow down the process just enough to preserve the flavours.

The optimum drying conditions are:

1. Temperature: 18-22 degrees. Any higher & it will dry too quick & you get the hay smelling result & lose all flavour. Any lower & it would just take ages.

2. Drying in darkness: Light degrades THC, so always dry in total darkness. Sounds like you already had that drying in the basement though.

3. Humidity: Less than 70%. Higher and you risk mold & that would suck.

4. Air flow: I dry in my tent so i have the extractor on maximum & also have a couple of indirect fans running - keeping the air moving & helping to avoid mold.

5. The first indication that the buds are ready to jar are when you get that first snap from the stork. That means you're 95% dry - which is what you want. It's that last 5% that helps the magic happen.

With all of the above checked I am usually ready to jar up after about 5-6 days maximum. It is definitely a patience game but always worth it when you break open a bud a few weeks later & your nostrils are hit by that fruity skunky deliciousness.

Good luck dude.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Juggalo_Jones (23-10-14), Parked420 (23-10-14)

Thanks

Thank you! The temp was a around 68F ( 20 C) and humidity was definitely below 70%. The snap is what I was looking for before jarring them. I'm glad I did okay, it sounds like I just need to keep it in the jars for a couple more weeks. Thanks for the help!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Juggalo_Jones For This Useful Post:

Type M (24-10-14)

Thanks

Yep, most definitely a patience game

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Type M For This Useful Post:

Juggalo_Jones (31-10-14)