Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart meters, the future is looking grim for growers.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

That's the thing Aspie, all you hear is how these things will eliminate estimates... Our energy supplier emails us & we email the meter readings back, no estimates involved! And about once a year, they pop round & confirm the readings.

The way I see it is the only one who will save money is the energy companies - by getting rid of meter readers
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    That's the thing Aspie, all you hear is how these things will eliminate estimates... Our energy supplier emails us & we email the meter readings back, no estimates involved! And about once a year, they pop round & confirm the readings.

The way I see it is the only one who will save money is the energy companies - by getting rid of meter readers
    That doesn't make any since that you would have to read your own meter. Our smart meters are sent to the power company over satilelight. It did eliminated the man or woman that use to have a reading RT, and came by once a month though. I get a daily reading from just going to my account on the web.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

The Aspie Toker Guest

Our meter reader comes round quarterly. Most of the time we are in, so he takes it there and then. Sometimes he'll come back the next day and do it. Failing that, we either wait for the bill, and if need be, we'll give the new readings ourselves. Sometimes they over estimate, and we don't mind that because the next bill will be lower.

Yes. they'll save money by getting rid of the meter readers, but if it means getting on my hands and knees every few months, then I'd rather do that than a smart meter.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17), M_C (14-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,882 Times

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    That doesn't make any since that you would have to read your own meter. Our smart meters are sent to the power company over satilelight. It did eliminated the man or woman that use to have a reading RT, and came by once a month though. I get a daily reading from just going to my account on the web.
    TBH, I don't want, or require, time line readings of any description. I just want to have energy & pay the supplier for the energy that I have used.

Technology is moving too fast without sufficient safety protocols in place. Take contact credit/debit cards that the banks try to push (FFS they think I am that lazy that I can't be arsed to tap in 4 digits?) And look at the insecure aspects of that technology... but they still push it! The same with smart meters... they are inherently insecure, the software to hack them is like a rash on the net.... and still they push them

This is all about collecting data (to sell), not about a better system for the consumer....

I could give numerous examples of technology that has been released but is flawed, did you know, for example, that you can even hack pace makers & turn them off ?!? - Smart TVs that can spy on you - smart phones that can listen in on your calls? - IOT devices that are being used as spam relays? The list is endless & unforgiving

If I accept flawed technology then I am part of the problem & I don't wish to have problems where none existed before...

I wonder what will happen when the spotty nerd, two streets away hacks the system & turns everyone's power off? Lulz or what!! But they can't do that now & I wish that status quo to remain...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (14-03-17), ggotch (14-03-17), mrnice586 (15-03-17)

Thanks

Hit the nail on the head there mc. Its all about the data.... all tech has vunralbilities. And all it takes is a black hat electronic engineer or computer scientist to find them and exploit it. After all someones designed it so it can be reverse engineerd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrnice586 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (15-03-17), M_C (15-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    They change us over to smart meters over here in the US. I can't tell any difference. The only thing is that they can read the meter from there office, and don't have to come around in a truck any more to read the meter. I don't know why yall wouldn't want one of those.
    They can read the meter from there office fantastic!!!, and do they also have the technology to read irregular, regular patterns is 18-6,12-12 ? Because if they can....well who's washing machine or electric kettle runs at the same time every night-day ?? Power surge and obscure usage must raise suspension?
    "Everybody thinks of changing humanity, but nobody thinks of changing himself."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wutang22 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-03-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wutang22 View Post
    They can read the meter from there office fantastic!!!, and do they also have the technology to read irregular, regular patterns is 18-6,12-12 ? Because if they can....well who's washing machine or electric kettle runs at the same time every night-day ?? Power surge and obscure usage must raise suspension?
    They can't (office read) in the UK. Hotshot is USA based.

Here are some reasons why they have trouble with some houses...

Poor Wifi
    Thick walls
    Flats - esp when the box is not in the same home.
    LED lights
    Dimmer switches.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-03-17), M_C (16-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,555 Times

Are they going to break down the door of every plant enthusiast (including the ones that grow normal sh! T. Doubt it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Terajuana For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-03-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terajuana View Post
    Are they going to break down the door of every plant enthusiast (including the ones that grow normal sh! T. Doubt it
    ????

Sent from my VF-1397 using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wutang22 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-03-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

The power company's don't moniter how much elect you use, You have an account just like you always have, and you can check on it any time you want to. They never ask you how or why you or using there elect, but some government people will email you some times, and ask you how much you use, I just delete those, because I know they aren't the power company's. They are in the business to make money, and pay taxes and don't give a dam the more you use the better it is for them. I have had a smart meter for over 3 years now, and I love checking into my account when I want to see what I use for the day. The system they have now is just an computer collecting data and writing it down on a daily bases and sending you a bill every 28 to 31 days. JMO I dought anyone every see's your bill but your self. The only reason they might look at your bill, is if you didn't pay it.
    Last edited by GEORGE; 16-03-17 at 12:24 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Wutang22 (16-03-17)

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast