Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best drying method, for smell once dry?

ganjagunman Guest

Default Best drying method, for smell once dry?

Ive done a few grows now, of various strains, ive got the growing mastered, and pretty much the drying mastered, but one thing i cant seem to stop is the finish dried product smelling of little or nothing?

First lot i did i removed the buds from the main stem and dried them in a sheet on a sheet of paper on the bottom of my wardrobe till they were pretty much dry, then i put them in jars for 24 hours to bring anymore moisture out let them breathe and once the sticks snapped then they stayed in the jar to cure, but even after a couple of weeks there was a smell there, but it was faint.

I then tried the same as above, but using a proper hanging drying rack and still same end result

I then tried letting them dry either on the rack or in the wardrobe till they were completely dry (stems snapped) and then in jars for a couple of weeks, still not much smell.

So then i did one plant and left all the buds on the stem as it come off the plant, just trimmed it, downside was this took around 8 days to dry and i broke it down into manageable pieces so it would fit in the jars. This i found gained better smell once it had been in the jars for a week or two but still nothing ground breaking.

I opened the jars every so often as you do to air them. Room temp was around 23 - 25 celsius humidity 50 - 60%

Just wondering whats best to do with this crop come end of march? Leave it on the stems as it comes off the plant, or remove the buds from the stems? Dry it in bottom of wardrobe or on rack? Darkness or in light?

Any other tips? ive grew some amazing weed and its 10 times better than the street weed, but it just smells of little or nothing so wanting to know how i can get it to smell better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ganjagunman For This Useful Post:

reganlives (05-07-15)

Thanks

I would like to no aswell

ganjagunman Guest

I think its in the curing personally, but someone I know only cures for upto 2 weeks and the widow he pulled out earlier made my eyes water when i stuck my nose inside the sandwich bag he had the ounce in! He says he just drys on the stems, in the dark still they snap and then just bungs the buds off the branches into jars for upto 2 weeks, never works for me lol

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,323 Times

Personally mate i chop everything off on chop day, all leafs and stems and break down my massive colas if i can to aid drying, put them on my drying rack and leave em in groom with lights off, room stat set to 22°c and circulation fans on 247. Usually takes a good week to dry out.
    Then they go in my jars, not to packed but decent amount in each jar, burp jars few times a day for first week or so to make sure no damp at all left and let em circulate abit.
    Smell and aroma realy comes out for me after been in jars for a day or so.
    Then mmmmmmmm she gets introduced to my rizla

Not saying its THE way to do it but works for me mukka

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Pinkman For This Useful Post:

biggiebri (23-05-15), Brownlegs (25-03-15), chanandler bong (18-02-15), Donmitch0121 (19-02-15), ggotch (24-05-15), jimmy2shoes (31-07-15), lizardking (18-02-15), Mr-Lover (18-02-15), RossPa (18-02-15), SmobyToker#1 (19-03-15), tlh2496 (22-02-15), wales2015 (29-08-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,726 Times

I'm having a similar problem,not with the smell...just drying it! I think it's drying too fast? Trimmed the colas,but left buds intact on colas,hung upside down.temps are at 20 degrees...fan circulating 24/7...total darkness.they been drying just over 2 days now.but the outsides of the buds are really dry and crispy!! Do I just leave them a few more days? Then take buds if stems and leave on groom floor on newspaper to dry a little longer? Suppose I should wait to see if stems snap first? Any thoughts??

ganjagunman Guest

I was drying too quick before but managed to get it down so it takes 5 - 7 days, using the method Jesse uses (cheers mate) Id put them in the jar but then not much would happen unless i left it in the jar for ages, i think my best so far was some NLxBB auto had half oz in a jar left i for like 10 days and it smelt the best but nothing groundbreaking, i too seem to end up with it crispy with a dull scent to it. My last plant i broke the buds off the main colas so the biggest lumps when wet were around golf ball size but they soon shrunk to half that size over the course of the week, i put some in jars thinking the slow drying would help them smell better, but nope lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ganjagunman For This Useful Post:

lizardking (19-02-15)

Thanks

I always have this problem to but my last one exodus cheese I dried it in my tent up in a black drying net also had lights on and temp was 24c abit to high cus it dried in 4n half days but the smell from it is unreal it's been in jars for 1 day and already it's pengin,
    Before this iv always dried in my attic open space with a fan blowing air above took over a week and always smelled like grass,
    Oh and I chop the big buds of the stems and leave the small ones on so I can tell when it's dry by snapping the stem
    CB
    Originally Posted by wert
    i would slap wayne rooney,but not in a nasty way,just a slap across the face to wake him up and help get his priorities right.
    i would also like to slap kylie minogue but this time in a nasty dirty way on her petite little arse.

god made weed, man made beer.....

who do you trust?

Formally kenus_420

5th grow 1st diary: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...l-flower-mode-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chanandler bong For This Useful Post:

Mr-Lover (22-02-15)

Thanks

I am growing my first tomatoes now and thinking when they are drying do they smell like cannabis or like a grass? Do I need to keep them in my tent with carbon filter, or I can use just plain cardboard box to dry them in? Cheers for answers.
    Sorry for interrupting your thread.

Thanks

Generally the drying will smell more like grass/hay, the cannabis smell wont come until the curing process

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pinnacleconsultation For This Useful Post:

Beavis (18-02-15)

Thanks

Ive tried drying many different ways in the years, but I agree with Jesse Pinkman up there, and say break it all down as much as possible. I have grown very fond of these hanging racks and i keep my drying room in between 65-70 degrees f. and my humidity between 40-45%. I usually spend six days on these racks (in the dark), then like to put 57g in .5gal jars for the curing process. Burping the jars is key with curing, I average 1hr a day for the first 4-7 days, depending on the moisture pushed back out of the flower. Then do a quick open/close on the jars, maybe adding 30 minutes here and there (again, depending on moisture levels). This is just what works best for me though.

Also, when I was running Hydro, I had lost a lot of aroma for a while and found it due to over flushing...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pinnacleconsultation For This Useful Post:

tlh2496 (22-02-15)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast