Thread: Lemon Kush Scrog - Height Issues?

Thanks

Default Lemon Kush Scrog - Height Issues?

Evening All,

I am attempting my first SCROG, first indoor grow for that matter, tent size is 120x60x100 WxDxH, I will be using a 400w HPS in cooltube,
    Biobizz soil and nutes

According to the seedbanks strain guide, Lemon Kush grows to 1-1.2m with a flowering time of 60 days,
    It's a mainly Indica strain with a little stretch towards the end, as they phrased it, which sounds positive for a SCROG grow.

The difficulties I am having are mainly around dividing the tent height,
    There is already around 10cm at the top of the tent taken by the ventilation and cooltube,
    I understand that 8-12" of space is required between growing medium and screen for easy access to trim and re-position growth, can I get away with any less?

11L pots come in at around 27cm high plus a 8"(20cm) gap and 10 cm taken by ventilation makes a total of 57cm of tent height already used up,
    this leaves 43 cm for actual growth above the screen, how does that sound?

With the current plan I will only be using 4 out of 8sq ft of the tent, my reason for this is because I cannot place the cooltube directly in the centre of the tent, I think this may have a big impact on the plants that are not directly under the lamp, will the lamp be sufficient to cover 8sq ft even if it is not centered in the tent?

The cooltube cannot be placed in the center of the tent due to the fan and CF needing to be before the cooltube, I had an idea to push air out through the carbon filter allowing me to place the CF and fan outside the tent, I was told this was inadvisable due to heat damage to the fan.

Lots of questions! Looking forward to answers

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Any advice welcome!

ganjagunman Guest

Just top it at the 3rd/4th node, thatl keep the height down, then train it accordingly. ive never had anything grow as high as said it would, unless you have your light too high, nice strain choice too one on my list

Thanks

thanks matey, I spoke to the vendor I bought the items from, the guy was very helpful in advising about setting up the filtration system,
    He says the fan is rated up to 60 degrees centigrade so pulling hot air through the fan is ok.

I will be centering the cooltube in the tent and placing the fan outside the tent in foam and polystyrene filled box, this along with the insulated ducting should reduce the noise enough for me to sleep .

Any advice on cutting insulated ducting, its a pain in the arse to work with, I use gloves to avoid the irritation from the fibreglass, I have the feeling that this isn't the best quality ducting, none of the materials seem too thin but its just a headache to cut through 4 layers of differing material and try and keep the cuts neat and aligned. I end up tearing the mylar!

I also noticed that the mylar layer between the duct and the fibreglass is not sealed, it is just a piece of mylar wrapped and folded over the tube, I thought it was a sealed piece of mylar to prevent any air escaping!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,700 Times

Can't you put the filter outside the tent and have the air suckling through the filter or you will have smells. Try and have it so that your lights and plants and a clip on fan are the only things in your tent

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satnavsatnav View Post
    Can't you put the filter outside the tent and have the air suckling through the filter or you will have smells. Try and have it so that your lights and plants and a clip on fan are the only things in your tent
    I dont quite get your meaning,
    are you telling me to have it setup like this -

Fan<<CF<<cooltube<<open side of cooltube inside tent

What will cause the smells, is it because the CF isnt the last thing the air passes through before leaving the tent,
    is there risk that any small crack or tear in the venting/cooltube will pull in recontaminate the air that was scrubbed by the CF
    is the.

Another issue is the cooltube is 5" and the rest of the ventilation 6", I tried bodging it together but the ducting is impossible to compress around the cooltube,
    I have ordered some 6" to 5" reducers.

Something odd I noticed when messing about with the ducting, the duct itself has tiny pinprick holes covering its surface, I have heard that the plastic sheeting around the duct is supposed to deal with this but the plastic sheeting is hardly air proof, it's just wrapped and folded over the duct. Is this normal for ducting?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,700 Times

Sorry mate i didnt mean filter outside just the fan , The air has to be sucked in through the filter and not pushed out so the filter has to be in the tent but it dosent have to be at the top of the tent it can be at the back on the floor. The ducting is what it is was it expensive I only ask cause I go some cheap pish stuff and it's fine if you could get a pic up of the stuff would be cool ☺ I think the pin prick holes are there for the fibre glass