Thread: Topping advice

Thanks

Default Topping advice

Hi All,

I have two regular Afghani from seed that have been vegging under 400CFL for about 12 days,
    I just topped both of them (I think) I read that you should top at the 3-4 Internode.

I counted 4 internodes from the base of the stem, does the first bit of stem between the soil and cotyledons count as an internode?
    I snipped out the newest growth as close to the highest node as possible, the growth I cut out was very new and had not opened out yet, it looked like 4 baby leafs, is this the normal amount to cut out when topping.

Other topping examples seem to leave topping till the next node has grown out fully before cutting back to the lower node.

Second question is regarding leaf shape, I get that cotyledons are featureless and flat, the next set of leafs up only have 3 sections to them not the 5 points a normal cannabis leaf has, I've been looking for a guide on the growth structure of cannabis, any pointers?

These two Afghanis are my test subjects, there are 2 lemon kush and 1 big bud which been vegging for a week, they will be the main show so I'm happy to trial and error these Afghanis, I will get some pics up ASAP, any advice appreciated.

Thanks

quick thing to add, I actually topped one last night, its had about 12 hours of light since and the nodes I cut back to have already started growing!

I regret not FIMing one

Thanks

Ok I guess I missed something I took a closer look at some plant pics and got a better idea of how the leaves grow, seems like it goes

Cotyledon>1 blade leaf>3 blade leaf>5 blade leaf>7 blade leaf

Does that mean plants never show their full size 7 blade leafs until the fifth node?

One of my lemon kush is a triploid which will be interesting to compare yields

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ocf For This Useful Post:

Cheezer (26-05-15)

Thanks

The topping went well, the ladies have bounced back with vigour, other than a little nute burn they are doing well, I just finished flushing their pots so hopefully I caught it early enough to prevent any serious damage.

One of the ladies has started growing four tops and the other two, see below -

Four Tops -

Two Tops -

Am I seeing this right, Why are there four tops if I didn't FIM, the four tops that grow after FIMing are all from the central shoot.

Is it too early to defoliate? the two largest fan leave either side of the central node are shading new growth lower down the stem, I keep tucking the leafs but this is a temp solution,
    Would removing them slow down the growth much?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,179 Times

Fuck that leave all 4!!! Lucky bastard lol!!

Ez DuZ iT

Shout out to the Boss Man Erburt!
    [CENTER] "Lol if you aint got a shitty plant once in a while you ain't growing"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EaZiE View Post
    Fuck that leave all 4!!! Lucky bastard lol!!
    Haha Lucky me, I remember when topping them I cut one at a weird angle definitely didn't FIM though, all the new growth was pinched out,
    I will post more pics once the 4 tops open out a bit more.

edit 1 -

When I said defoliate I meant the two large fan leaves that are shading new growth lower down, I've crushed their stems a bit and tucked them away.

edit 2 -

Why are the plants so short?
    My thoughts are that firstly it is an Indica and it was put straight under 400w HPS from seed so no stretching, this combined with day/night temperatures being close together which promotes short inter nodal length. Does this sound right? I love a bit of a mystery, I'm quite glad they are staying small the tent is only 1m high!
    Last edited by ocf; 25-05-15 at 09:01 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ocf For This Useful Post:

Cheezer (26-05-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 11,179 Times

Sounds about right. I run a 600w hps 24/0 temps are like 23-28. Short bushy autos tight nodes. Lets see what happens when she stretches. I dunno it's my first grow but if they don't get bigger I will screw lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EaZiE View Post
    Sounds about right. I run a 600w hps 24/0 temps are like 23-28. Short bushy autos tight nodes. Lets see what happens when she stretches. I dunno it's my first grow but if they don't get bigger I will screw lol!
    Nice setup matey, I would go with a 600w if I had a bit more space, my ladies were on 24/0 for a week, growth seemed slow so I switched to 20/4 which improved growth speed,
    As of last night they are on 18/6, I will continue changing lighting schedule gradually till it hits time to turn to 12/12 and flower these muddas.

What autos are you growing? do you know what your night temps are?

Thanks

I top in two ways. The first method I take the tip out when the plant has it's the 3-4th set of true leaves during vegetative growth. I just take the very tip, no need to take anymore then this. The other method is during the 2nd to 3rd week of flowering and again just the very first bud node nothing more. Other more effective methods exist such as LST (low stress training) aka "tie downs" ie bending the plant to the side with weights or twine. Another method is "knuckling", this involves bending the stem without splitting it. You need to crease the stem but leave no open wound. I've seen the results of "knuckling" and the increase in bud development and density is about 30% greater vs non knuckled stems. Both methods don't require removing part of the plant in order to achieve them. :-) Hope this helps.