Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Great White,black fung? Root rot? Black roots lol..

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

Quote Originally Posted by waterdawg12 View Post
    Correct me if wrong but do you not get more DO with big bubbles breaking the surface as opposed to tiny bubbles (hehehe). When I ran DWC (I sucked btw) I used a star shaped manifold with short tubes and just set it in the bottom and got lots of agitation and it never plugged.
    You mean fluming with a water pump as opposed to bubbles with a air pump ?, yeah its meant to be better for DO but i never noticed any difference to the plants either way, though i did use 6 x 6" ceramic stones on a v60, was like a fooking jacuzzi in my wilma

Regards BL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

waterdawg12 (02-06-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,172 Times

Correct me if wrong but do you not get more DO with big bubbles breaking the surface as opposed to tiny bubbles (hehehe). When I ran DWC (I sucked btw) I used a star shaped manifold with short tubes and just set it in the bottom and got lots of agitation and it never plugged.
    Loads of small bubbles have more surface area than big bubbles mate..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Upton For This Useful Post:

waterdawg12 (02-06-15)

Thanks

"Loads of small bubbles have more surface area than big bubbles mate.."
    Yes I know but heard something about surface tension or something lol. Have you any articles that talk about it? I'll have a look and see what I can find. Not that it matters really as I dont use my air pumps anymore. I found it kind of messed with PH but thats just a guess.
    And no Bud, was referring to air bubbles from a pump. I do use flooming as well, i have a small hole drilled in the nozzle of my pump that shoots a stream to the surface of the res like a fountain, works great!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterdawg12 For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (02-06-15), Upton (02-06-15)

Thanks

So yup small bubbles are better lol, wrong again lol. Just got done reading about air domes as well. They have a rubber membrane that is constantly flexing, supposed to eliminate blockage, perhaps thats something to look at as mine used to get plugged a lot.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,172 Times

"Loads of small bubbles have more surface area than big bubbles mate.."
    Yes I know but heard something about surface tension or something lol. Have you any articles that talk about it? I'll have a look and see what I can find. Not that it matters really as I dont use my air pumps anymore. I found it kind of messed with PH but thats just a guess.
    And no Bud, was referring to air bubbles from a pump. I do use flooming as well, i have a small hole drilled in the nozzle of my pump that shoots a stream to the surface of the res like a fountain, works great!
    The carbon dioxide pumped into the water can affect the pH mate.. some is converted to carbonic acid, which breaks down and becomes bicarbonate and that change the pH, something like that anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Upton For This Useful Post:

waterdawg12 (03-06-15)

Thanks

SooooOOOooo guys,turned out,my expensive air pump,when connect with like ~23 pipes are doing much better than with less of them.So the big soldier is dead,I ran like 2 days HEAWY with 35% h2o,300ml start everyday,and cup or two every 3-4 hours,3-4 times a day,so total like ALOT of 35% h2o,it really cleaned that gunk off roots,water was very very dirty with stuff floating,i kept giving h2o to eat some gunk away,i was changing circulator filter every 2-3 hours,then replaced bennies,as for now,knock knock knock,everything seems to be doing good,water is nice,gunk is out,lets hope roots will get better and rebuild faster than at the start Lol,ph at what i set,pump was out for i dont know what time today,i hope my rez and tea didnt get anaerobic,im crossing my fingers =/ its sad i didnt know how to act at the start,i could have saved and recovered way way before,even my biggest plant,tried bennies with gunky water,bennies prolly wasnt strong enough,water dirty,filter i only changed like once a day,and it was mega dirty prolly every 1-2 hours and bad bacteries was living there,ph was rising i guess root rot at the time ran away but slime was attacking cus ph down,in 2 hours ph back to 6.5,later to 7.if anyone have probs like this,STRONG H2O,ofc if its really bad,CLEAN CLEAN RES,change water( i havent done it as first step),more bubles,lower water lvl,and bennies without long window,h2o becomes innactive really fast.
    Last edited by Jerry Weeds; 03-06-15 at 02:04 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Weeds For This Useful Post:

satnavsatnav (03-06-15)

Thanks

Beanies dont last long either. I add every 3-4 days, the stuff I use is very concentrated and only requires 5-10 ml per 100 L. It actually seems to work better on its own as opposed to a tea. The tea was a pain in the ass for me honestly. I've ran out and as usual can't find it now lol. Oh well got a few months to find a substitute, heading to the pond supply shop to see what they got.

Thanks

Beanies dont last long either. I add every 3-4 days, the stuff I use is very concentrated and only requires 5-10 ml per 100 L. It actually seems to work better on its own as opposed to a tea. The tea was a pain in the ass for me honestly. I've ran out and as usual can't find it now lol. Oh well got a few months to find a substitute, heading to the pond supply shop to see what they got.
    Does your bennies make your water cloudy and clear snots floating around? Im brewing teas non stop now,well,tea smell good,cloudy yellow,good,so I added like 3gal to the system,i just came back to look back now in evening and water crystal clear,i was like damn wth,where my bennies go =/ So im like,this is something new or what,does your bennies make your reservoir water clear or cloudy?

Thanks

Water stays clear, and no snot lol. But i only added a cup or so at a time. The tea did make the roots a bit off colored.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4