Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which hydro

ganjagunman Guest

NFT I went with first, and to be fair its a doddle, only downsides or things not to do, dont buy the biggest res you can, i bought a square metre x metre GT100 100litre res first, but it was an arse come tank change, an arse to maintain, to get to the back plants, to clean, it was just too big, so i bought two GT424s which are 45 litre tanks and are basically the same as the GT100 when theyre placed side by side, and much easier to maintain, res change etc

Only downside with NFT is ive found is once the system is full of roots water circulation gets impeded and ive noticed i get a film on the top of the water during the last few weeks where the res and tray is rammed with roots, so i use an air stone to keep the water moving. With DWC the roots just hang into the bucket, i think DWC is less restrictive to the plants than NFT, thing with NFT is they get going faster because the rockwool blocks are sat on a tray with constant feed being washed over and around them, once the roots grow down into the tank, the tray becomes a kind of pointless feature other than for somewere for the blocks to sit, so after 3 - 4 weeks once the roots are in the res water, it kind of becomes a DWC system anyway.

Id personally go NFT or DWC for your first run, the only negative with DWC is unless you buy a proper system with the brain then youl have to empty each bucket individually as you can only grow one plant per bucket, where as NFT you can grow 2/3/4 etc at a time and only have to change one res

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ganjagunman For This Useful Post:

cj5787 (31-05-15), M_C (14-06-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,269 Times

I tried dwc then settled with modified waterfarms
    Check out my current TriStrain grow

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrCannaP For This Useful Post:

cj5787 (31-05-15)

Thanks

I am looking at the Wilma X Large 4x18 Litre 4 Pot ?

Thanks

Default Which hydro

Can't fault the Wilma system at all mate it's so easy to use it was my 1st system and guna be using it 1 last time.
    Last edited by Gambit; 30-05-15 at 09:36 PM.
    "Ol' Remy ain't feelin' so playful now."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gambit For This Useful Post:

cj5787 (31-05-15), Upton (30-05-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,056 Times

i would normally be the first to jump in and say go dwc but as your growing in a loft at this time of the year i would say either stick with dirt for the summer or go for the likes of an autopot/wilma setup . any system where the plants roots are gonna be submerged in nutrient solution is going to be a complete nitemare to maintain at this time of the year unless your gonna shell out for a chiller especially in a loft .G

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

-Smokey- (03-06-15), cj5787 (31-05-15), waterdawg12 (03-06-15)

Thanks

I will give it ago should be ok got cooltube if it does get to hot, but should be ok it dont get that hot in there.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,495 Times

I agree with what g unit said. Your gonna be fucked if your water temps are up. Maybe hand fed coco is worth a shout
    "Smoke dog baby. Remember that shit. I been smoking since I was two."

Thanks

Listen to the boys ^^^ I shut the water off in the heat and run outside, without a chiller your asking for brown stinky roots.

Thanks

Get an autopot xl 4 pot system (you can get the whole thing delivered from a popular auction site for around £90). Easiest system out there. Put 2" of clay balls at the bottom with coco or 60/40. Using coco gives you a bit of a buffer which is very useful when changing from soil.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack but is there standing water at the bottom of each pot! Thinking of a new system for next fall and looking for ideas myself. Running a two tote aero setup now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2