Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: couple of RDWC questions

Thanks

Default couple of RDWC questions

Hi all. I am in the process of designing my 2 pot rdwc system, which will be upgraded to 4 pot if succesfull.
    I have a couple of questions relating to the design, and if anyone can help out id be very grateful. Now i sometimes over-think these things, but i have a question about the return pipes.
    Question 1. is there any specific place i can place these return pipes , which may create some turbulence in the pots, which will prevent the roots from growin into the return pipes. Like could i create a swirlin motion inside the pots which would keep the roots in the pot instead of down the return pipes. I notice that most folks just place them in the centre of the box?

question 2. The feed tubes/ to the spray bars. I am lookin to put these in a square pattern around all 4 sides of the box, with a pipe into a tee fittin, then around the sides and another tee leadin out the box and on to the next one. I presume that these are best enterin the pot so that there is the same lenth of pipe before the next tee, to keep pressure constant in the spray pipes. Like if the feed and exit pipes were at 90 dejrees to each other, then there would be more pressure in the "short pipe run" if you understand.
    Would i be reite thinkin it would be better if they were equal.
    I havny cut any holes in the boxes yet, so any advice is appreciated.

Also how do you size your nutrient chiller?
    My boxes are 42 litre, which will probably have 30litres of nutes in it, and my res is 84 litre. I would rather buy the chiiller to suit the 4 pot set up, rather than have to buy another one later.

Cheers for your help, dudes.

Billy

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,056 Times

hi there mate , heres a diagram of my system which was a 4 pot but i have no gone to a 2 pot as the yields are massive from 2 .

ideally you want your returns on opposite sides of the tubs to combat the suctions pulling the roots into the returns . I have found that it lets them stay pretty much central . I would recommend a min of 32mm for the returns as it seems to create a good flow rate . if you want to create extra turbulance at 2 90 degree bends inside the res from the returns pointing at the surface and the flow will create flooms on the surface . G

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

badbillybob (04-06-15), Toasted (03-06-15)

Thanks

Or instead of pipes you can go with 18mm hose or something so you can move buckets where you want,why go with pipes =/ this rdwc in fact is much more difrent than mine lol,i have 18mm back in bottom,and 4mm pipe on the top brings water in.
    Last edited by Jerry Weeds; 03-06-15 at 09:55 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Weeds For This Useful Post:

badbillybob (04-06-15)

Thanks

hey mate when i was building my system i went with 7 65 ltr tubs 1 for res and was going to go with 42mm returns but was a little worried about the roots as was planning on vegging for 7-8 weeks so managed to find 110mm returns the plants have been in the system about 2 weeks now and root growth is rapid to say the least so i think 32- 42mm would be minimum for a good veg to save problems later .I will be down sizeing my system to 4 or maybe even 2 tubs as growth is rapid i will be lucky to get a 5 wk veg let alone 7-8wk
    For mine i orig orderd a 300a chiller so it wouldnt have to work as hard as a 150a but i ended up with a 500a and it works perfect and my insulation on the tubs aint great lol

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

badbillybob (04-06-15), Upton (05-06-15)

Thanks

Thanks for your advice , i appreciate it.
    Ive been speakin to Upton on another forum about this too, and will be puttin the return pipes at opposite sides of the totes, (32mm pipes), like you say Mr Unit. Im usin 200mm net pots, which will sit on top of a slab of celotes 50mm insulation
    I had some 40mm pipes and fittins, but put them back, cos i dont think i need them that larje. I also thoujht that i may be able to use a slitely smaller pump, but a variable speed pump a jebao dc12000 has been recommended, and a hailea hc500 chiller.
    This is startin to be expensive, so it better be worth it
    I am likin the sound of the 90 bends towards the surface to create flooms.
    Mite try it out as it sounds like it will help.
    Am plannin an overflow back to the res too, in 22mm pipe, and will keep it near the top of the totes.
    I did think about keepin the overflow at at the water level, to balance out the levels in the pots, and make sure both totes were at the same level?
    What do you think?

And what nutes do you use in these systems. I been readin back and the lejend that is Heath Robinson used ionic?
    Whats the crack, will these be ok? I notice they are fairly cheap, which i like. Ive some cannazym and rhizotonic on order, and some canna coco a and B, but dont suppose these would work in the recirculatin system? or would they

All i have to do now is order a chiller and a pump, and break out the hole saw.
    woop woop

9. The Following User Says Thank You to badbillybob For This Useful Post:

Upton (04-06-15)

Thanks

i would keep the overflow slightly above your max level mate as you will find the majority of the roots sit close too the surface so they may grow into the pipe . I only use ionic myself mate , always have done and always will , the only other poduct i use is superthrive and even then i only use it during early veg to give the seedlings a kick up the arse . my pump is a hailea hx-8830 which is 3500 ltr/hr and it's been more than enough for my 150litre 2 plant system .

Upton is a good friend of mine as we have been using this forum and others for years now so you've been in good hands with my old friend .

I see you are planning on using spray bars , i designed the spray bar system many moons ago on breedbay and gave the idea to other folk but tbh since using it i have returned to my original setup of just using at t-piece on the end of the feed pipe in each tub as it's alot easier to setup and the end results have been pretty much the same with both systems .

heres a pic or 2 of my system just to give you a few ideas of how i've done it .

and this is the manifold i constructed to feed the plant tubs

i have a vid showing my flooming system but i'll have to try dig it out after work , if you need any other info just ask buddy or pm me .G

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

badbillybob (04-06-15), Jesse Pinkman (05-06-15), Toasted (04-06-15), Upton (04-06-15)

Thanks

Thanks mate, that is just what i needed to know.
    Here is a sketch of what i think i am doin.
    I have not shown the overflow, but will incorporate it.
    I hear what you are sayin about the spray bars too, but ive already the fittins boujht, so mite as well use them (and ive only 3 tank connectors for the 22mm pipe)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001_Small_1.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	299497

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badbillybob For This Useful Post:

Toasted (04-06-15), Upton (05-06-15)

Thanks

Hey heizenberg listen to upton and g
    upton has helped me no end and g is the triffid keeper
    I wouldnt go with the dc pump for your size system i would use the same pump as g have you read any of his diaries they are monsters ive never seen plants like his lol
    Im not to happy with the dc pump at min it does not seem to have the pressure of my 9000lpm hailea but is still doing what its supposed to it does run silent tho only a slight hum when on full power and my chiller deals with my temps easy and my system is 420 ltrs yours is not going to be half that so you would get away with a smaller one i only got the 500 because i bought a 300 and they were out of stock so they sent me a 500 for same price
    g has used this system for along time and worked out all the kinks so between him and upton you cant go wrong
    Good luck

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

badbillybob (05-06-15), Upton (05-06-15)

Thanks

your plan looks good mate the only issu i can see is your feed pipe as you are running the tubs in series which means you may get a pressure drop by the time the nutrient solution reaches the rear tub . If was me i'd run them in parallel by adding a T piece to the feed line near the pump so you can run a seperate feed to each tub which will keep the pressure up . G

17. The Following User Says Thank You to G_UNIT For This Useful Post:

Upton (05-06-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,172 Times

What G said

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast