Thread: Nutes Test (BASIL) - Plant Magic Oldtimer Soil Vs. Poundland Hydro Coco

Thanks

Lightbulb Nutes Test (BASIL) - Plant Magic Oldtimer Soil Vs. Poundland Hydro Coco

I'm a new grower, have only ever used soil and have heard a lot of people saying once they've moved from soil to coco, they've never looked back. So, out of curiosity and fun, I've done a side by side grow of Basil from seed, comparing PM Oldtimer against Poundland CoCo nutes. Setup was as follows:

Lighting: 250w red spectrum CFL on an 18/6 cycle.
    Pots: 0.5 litre seedling pots
    Seeds: Thompson & Morgan Sweet Green Basil (3 per pot)
    Watering: Manual, whenever the top soil or coco become dry.
    Grow Period: six weeks.

Soil Grow
    • John Innes No.1 Soil (70%) with 15% Perlite and 15% Vermiculate
    • Plant Magic Organic Granules
    • Plant Magic Oldtimer 'Grow'

Coco Grow
    • Poundland Coco
    • Poundland Hydro Coco 'Grow'

Both grows were kept side-by-side for 6-weeks, under the same light, watered manually when the top surface was dry.

Results
    The soil seemed to have a much better start at early seedling level, but the coco grow soon overtook.
    Plant Health - Poundland is healthier.
    Height - Poundland is higher
    Leaf Size - Poundland wins.
    Smell - Poundland is a punchier richer smell.
    Taste - They both taste crap, I'm not a fan of Basil!
    Flowering - The coco grow had flowers at 5-weeks, the soil grow has a hint of buds after 6-weeks.
    Nutrient Costs - £1 for the Poundland nutes Vs. £27 for the Plant Magic (albeit a larger quantity)

Photos (soil on left, coco on right)....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basil1_resize.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	303053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basil2_resize.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	303054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basil3_resize.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	303055Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basil4_resize.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	303056

To be honest, the results have surprised me, but I keep telling myself it's only Basil and wasn't particularly scientific! I'm interested to hear what others think and whether they're surprised by my results?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hula For This Useful Post:

joem113 (15-07-15), MarysSeeds (08-03-16), Withakay (15-07-15)

Thanks

Heres mine from 3 months ago . Stayed healthy everyday started off 2 weeks with 2ml as there grew 2.5ml .now my autos love the stuff photos are lemon kush

Thanks

Were you adjusting ph for the coco pot?
    Hit me with music. Brutalise me with music.

Nyc diesel, ak49 and vertigo auto grow :https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...l-and-cfl-grow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Withakay View Post
    Were you adjusting ph for the coco pot?
    No, I'd never grown in coco before so just winged it, diluting at the ratios on the bottle with no Ph checking or adjustment - wasn't expecting much from the Poundland gear to be honest. When I come to doing a 'real' grow in coco, I'll invest in a Ph pen.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,708 Times

I know this is an old thread but very interesting.

Some observations I'd have though is that John Innes No 1 is not an organic soil.

It's mainly peat which is inert and it's nutrient component is chemical. Not really the best soil to be doing an "organic" grow with.

One of the main purported improvements in organic is taste so growing something you like might have been a more valid test.

Organics requires room for the processes to take place and so typically a larger pot would be required, I imagine if you scaled up the coco you'd get improvements there too but organic growing seems a bit pointless in a tiny pot.

Otherwise thank you. :-)