Thread: Yellow and brown leaves

organicmagic Guest

Default Yellow and brown leaves

Good morning fellow growers.

I'm busy with my first grow and have had a few issues along the way as probably most new growers do.

I've got a single Critical Kush under LED lights in a 1m x 1m x 2m tent with a 5" exhaust and passive intake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438076736.924865.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	304356

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438076748.556839.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	304357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438076760.203820.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	304358

She's at day 32 since flipped to 12/12 and was starting to look a bit better after I over fed her in weeks 4 of flower. Or at least I think I over fed as I made a guano and charge tea which I didn't dilute too much and got a bad reaction a couple of days later. But like I say she has been looking a bit greener of late so thought she recovered . Although she's constantly had leaves dying off like this.

I've been using very small amounts of maxicrop seaweed, worm tea, guano/charge tea and biobizz top max and bloom. Not every time, I give plain water in between feeds. She's in biobizz all mix/coco 60/40. The last feed, I gave her 2ml biobizz root juice with plain water which I'd mistaken as seaweed tea. I know I should have labels it...

She doesn't seem to be drinking much I've been watering her ever 4 days because it feels like too long but the soil is almost always still damp. Also her flowers seem small for around 26 days true flower.

I've had a few gnats in the tent but thought nothing of it and because I've tried to not use any spray or stickies hoping to grow a naturally strong organic plant resistant to bugs.

I read yesterday that gnat larvae eat the roots of the plant and that the plant may show signs of a deficiency. I'm hoping that this is it. I've ordered Diatomaceous Earth and have put stickies in the tent now so hoping to get them under control.

Does this look familiar?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA OM

Thanks

Do you measure and adjust the pH of water/nutes going into your plants? Sounds like your roots are locked up....probably salt build up. Watering/feeding at incorrect pH levels will cause this to happen and the roots cannot take in any nutrition or much of anything because of it. As the plant matures, it should be drinking more and not less. The proper range for pH in a soil grow is from 6.3 to 6.7. If you've not been checking this, you've got to start. Some will tell you that it's not important, but unless you're a lucky person with water that is at the right pH, it IS important if you want to grow very healthy plants. It looks to me, other than the obvious nute burn you've got there, that you've got a CalMag deficiency. However, unless you flush the plant to clean it out (3:1 gallons of water/gallon size of container...with the last gallon of water going into the plant at the proper pH), it's just going to get worse. If you're in a 3 gal. container, run 8 gal of regular tap water and 1 gallon of pH'd water through. Let her dry for 3-4 days and then give a light feeding with nutes. And don't worry about using tap water in your plants. I see a lot of people who worry about the chlorine and will let it sit out for 24 hours to evaporate. The thing is, most water treatment plants don't even use liquid chlorine anymore. The stuff they put in the water will not ever evaporate and will not harm your plants. I use it all the time...straight from the tap, with no negative affects. There are actually quite a few macronutrients in tap water that are good for your plants. It will take several days to recover, but this should straighten it right up. Since you're a new grower, I would suggest that you get into the novice section threads or new grower threads and read all that you can. To do this without too much stress, you need to have a good understanding of the basics of growing these plants in soil. Understanding how to water, dealing with pH, grow media, nutes, lighting....are all critical parts of the grow and you need to know how each figures into the equation. I was looking the other day and there are tons of threads with this basic information in them along with pictures....a great point of reference. Also, find yourself a more experienced grower with a setup similar to yours and read their logs/journals. Information is your friend when starting to grow and the more you have the less stress you will experience. The "fly by the seat of the pants" method is never the way to go. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help to you. TWW
    Last edited by The Widow White; 28-07-15 at 11:35 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Widow White For This Useful Post:

Swifty89 (12-10-15)

Thanks

Hi, have a look at this (magnesium def) https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...iciency-thread
    my first grow,Diary:https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?131315-First-grow-Big-Buddha-cheese scrog

organicmagic Guest

Thank you TWW, I have been reading tons over the last couple of months, both in diaries and actual books. I've learned a huge amount and realise I might have jumped in the deep end without learning how to swim properly. It's all happened off the cuff.

A lot of very experienced growers say that PH is not an issue in soil and that soil acts as a buffer, I have a ph pen but it's gone faulty and is only reading 1 so need a new one and my wallet is empty I bought a dual pin style meter reader and it's saying the soil is just below 7.
    A few weeks ago I gave the plant a strong does of nutes. Big mistake, I learned from that. I've given it a calcium supplement and Epsom salts to help with possible cal/mag def.

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the roots. She's not drinking much at all and her leaves are struggling. I've read through the deficiency thread and recognised the N claw but I dropped the feed for a few waters and then started again very small amounts. I will do as you've said and run 3:1 tap water and see if that helps.

Do you not think it could be gnats eating the roots?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it!

OM

organicmagic Guest

Thanks Jimmy Ive looked through there quite a lot but was concerned after I read about the gnats eating the roots and that creating what looks like a deficiency. This has turned out to be way more expensive than I'd first hoped but I want to get it right!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to organicmagic For This Useful Post:

jimmy2shoes (28-07-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by organicmagic View Post
    Good morning fellow growers.

I'm busy with my first grow and have had a few issues along the way as probably most new growers do.

I've got a single Critical Kush under LED lights in a 1m x 1m x 2m tent with a 5" exhaust and passive intake.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438076736.924865.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	304356

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438076748.556839.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	304357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438076760.203820.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	304358

She's at day 32 since flipped to 12/12 and was starting to look a bit better after I over fed her in weeks 4 of flower. Or at least I think I over fed as I made a guano and charge tea which I didn't dilute too much and got a bad reaction a couple of days later. But like I say she has been looking a bit greener of late so thought she recovered . Although she's constantly had leaves dying off like this.

I've been using very small amounts of maxicrop seaweed, worm tea, guano/charge tea and biobizz top max and bloom. Not every time, I give plain water in between feeds. She's in biobizz all mix/coco 60/40. The last feed, I gave her 2ml biobizz root juice with plain water which I'd mistaken as seaweed tea. I know I should have labels it...

She doesn't seem to be drinking much I've been watering her ever 4 days because it feels like too long but the soil is almost always still damp. Also her flowers seem small for around 26 days true flower.

I've had a few gnats in the tent but thought nothing of it and because I've tried to not use any spray or stickies hoping to grow a naturally strong organic plant resistant to bugs.

I read yesterday that gnat larvae eat the roots of the plant and that the plant may show signs of a deficiency. I'm hoping that this is it. I've ordered Diatomaceous Earth and have put stickies in the tent now so hoping to get them under control.

Does this look familiar?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

TIA OM
    Use nothing but water for a week and flush all those toxins out, it,ll come back round, take all ya scraggy leaf off aswell.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to raymanmark0875 For This Useful Post:

Dutchcourage (31-07-16)

Thanks

Ya got a deficiency, not a gnat problem, I'd flush for 5 to 7 days then start back off giving it half the strenth of nutrient ya was giving it till its looking nice again then just go back to proper feeding, you,ll get a hundred different answers, stick to the basics,

organicmagic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raymanmark0875 View Post
    Ya got a deficiency, not a gnat problem, I'd flush for 5 to 7 days then start back off giving it half the strenth of nutrient ya was giving it till its looking nice again then just go back to proper feeding, you,ll get a hundred different answers, stick to the basics,
    Thanking you

This plant is currently in my jar. She didn't recover well from everything so I started fresh

Thanks for the advice though