Thread: New set up advice

Thanks

Default New set up advice

I'm nearly finished building a stand alone building - just the roofing and electrics/plumbing to do! My grow space will be approx 12ft X 6ft (the building is 12 X 12 but I'm going to keep the front half for tools and stuff- looks less inconspicuous).

I have grown in a small stealth wardrobe but it's way too small for my needs!
    I've got the hang of growing pretty well and want to maximise my crop potential without growing too many plants!

I was planning on this!

●Grostar reflector
    ●Digital dimmable ballast
    ●1000w Hps
    ● Wilma 8 pot hydroponic system
    ● Existing carbon filter think it's Rhino or something similar
    ● extraction and air intake
    ● Large fan
    ● EC & PH Pen
    ● Timers - not sure the most economic option - my current ones are £1 bargain bin buys and going strong for 2 years until 1 stopped working yesterday - I know I'll need much better/safer ones for a bigger electrical demand but don't know which or how many I will need!

I've been growing in soil up to now and plan on continuing the drobe grow until I get the hang of hydroponics and might progress to a DWC system which I'm sure I could build myself (I'm fairly good at most building & DIY).
    The areas I will get professionals in are electrics and plumbing- the plumbing is basically laid and just needs connecting and I have 1 double Electrical socket which is disconnected and will obviously need more!

How many double wall sockets would I need? I was planning on 4×2 altogether?
    Is there any type of higher spec electrical connections or breakers (sorry I can wire anything in but haven't a clue about the safety aspects or the right technical terminology ).

Am I best putting the intake and outtake air through the attic or should I just bore 4" holes through the walls on either side?- I was leaning towards the walls!

Basically I'm looking for any advice on the set up and whether to divide the grow into vegging and flower units separate as I want to get the best crop- but with hydroponics I would probably need 2 systems - I'm trying to do on a very tight budget but I don't believe in buying shyte just because it's cheap!

I apologise for rambling - I'm stoned on some homegrow NL X Big Bud .

😆

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Ill try and help altho Im also stoned on my hg blueberry

Regarding the lights I would go for 2 maybe even 3 600w rather than the one 1000w they will spread the light better for that space
    Cheap timers will always break.I use a grasslin timer with a two way contactor for 2 600w.
    plug and grow timers work fine without a contactor just plug and grow as it says.Iv run a 600w on one of these with no probs

Two double wall sockets will be fine but you will need extensions for things
    If you can get more fitted then do.
    No experience on the wilma II use a 6 pot flood and drain and it practically runs itself ? Just chuck buckets o nutes in the res every couple of days.Its a lot more forgiving than dwc

Think id go for the attic for the venting
    Just cos it sounds like the easier option
    Last edited by Bethmeg; 07-08-15 at 12:44 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Bostin (07-08-15)

Thanks

Thanks Bethmeg - I was going for the large span Grostar reflector - it's expensive but supposed to give a larger and more even light distribution,
    I'm planning on a Scrog but also have something like 10ft in height to play with so I could grow bigger plants, originally I was going to separate into a vegging and larger flowering chamber!
    I'd even consider growing maybe 4 in soil next to the larger hydroponic chamber where I could stagger my harvest and maybe veg a little longer in the hydroponic - I can use my existing 400w Hps set up for the soil grow and 1000w running Dimmable HPS through the grostar -I'm wondering would I get up to 6 under this system?
    I'm prepared to carry on with my existing equipment until I buy and fit everything which could take a while but I'd be growing better anyhow with more space for my existing set up?
    Very good advice about the timer, I don't know the first thing about it!
    Forget to mention also I've a small 3x75w CFL vegging chamber operation atm!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostin For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (07-08-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bethmeg View Post
    Ill try and help altho Im also stoned on my hg blueberry

Regarding the lights I would go for 2 maybe even 3 600w rather than the one 1000w they will spread the light better for that space
    Cheap timers will always break.I use a grasslin timer with a two way contactor for 2 600w.
    plug and grow timers work fine without a contactor just plug and grow as it says.Iv run a 600w on one of these with no probs

Two double wall sockets will be fine but you will need extensions for things
    If you can get more fitted then do.
    No experience on the wilma II use a 6 pot flood and drain and it practically runs itself ? Just chuck buckets o nutes in the res every couple of days.Its a lot more forgiving than dwc

Think id go for the attic for the venting
    Just cos it sounds like the easier option
    Hope you understand my reply I'm on my 3rd joint in 20 minutes!
    Really appreciate your reply and a few good points I have learned from!
    😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostin For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (07-08-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 19,812 Times

Sorry I misunderstood
    I didnt thiink you had the lights yet
    6 plants under the 1000w will be fine
    I would recommend scrogging.You can keep the veg times to a minimum this way.

If you already have a veg cab then thats ideal.
    You can veg anywhere if just using cfl
    I once had them at the bottom of my bed
    Then in a wardrobe

If you can bring on your seeds/clones for a few weeks under the cfls and get a good established root system, then once they go into the system under the hps you could get away with a 2 week veg doing a scrog
    Last edited by Bethmeg; 07-08-15 at 01:33 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethmeg For This Useful Post:

Bostin (07-08-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bethmeg View Post
    Sorry I misunderstood
    I didnt thiink you had the lights yet
    6 plants under the 1000w will be fine
    I would recommend scrogging.You can keep the veg times to a minimum this way.

If you already have a veg cab then thats ideal.
    You can veg anywhere if just using cfl
    I once had them at the bottom of my bed
    Then in a wardrobe

If you can bring on your seeds/clones for a few weeks under the cfls and get a good established root system, then once they go into the system under the hps you could get away with a 2 week veg doing a scrog
    I only have my existing system at present, a basic 400w Hps system with standard ballast, extraction into attic and air coming in through attic driven by bathroom fans, might be best putting them in a split system in my new grow area and buying the main grow items as I can afford them!
    I could scrog the soil grow too in 6ft X 3ft -then when I assemble the hydroponics and buy more gear such as the grostar and get the right system in over time as I can afford, I'd already have upped my production as my weed is split 3 ways (son & girlfriend )- so i want enough so we can smoke without ever buying! I know I'd get far better results than my current 2ft X 4ft drobe!
    I need it for medical reasons as high tech Pharma meds had too many side effects- weed is the only thing that works and takes away the pain I get and allows me to get a decent nights sleep -I'd be a pain wrecked Zombie only for it!
    😉