Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed - Using 85W-127W CFL (Seasonal)

Thanks

Arrow Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed - Using 85W-127W CFL (Seasonal)

Good evening, my fine fellow.

A 90-day ongoing journal,
    documenting an entire cycle
    in a Perpetual PC Case

The vitals:

• Homemade light-proof PC Case, with a poor man's air cooling tube
    • 12/12 from seed to keep them small
    • Hittin' em with an 85W CFL in the Summer months, and slapping an extra 42W on 'em when Winter comes a rollin'
    • They're sitting in Canna Terra Pro, which is considered soilless
    • Canna Terra Flores nutrients, to go with the grow medium
    • 1 seed potted every month, to stagger 3 plants at a time

The details:

• Feminized bag seed. My seed connection sends me the strain I request, and throws in a mixed bag of feminized seeds that she's swept up in the warehouse
    • Double potted so I have built in drainage, as well as having the ability to lift out the top pot and see how my roots are looking

The Flicks:

I know, I know, you all came for the flicks, right? Here we go...

Day 10: Closeup

Day 10: Pot shot

Up until this point, she'd only been fed water. I end up giving small amounts of water every 4 or 5 days in an attempt to really stretch her roots out. Watered 50ml–100ml when she was potted, watered the same amount again 2 days later, and then gave her 100ml on day 5, then left her alone for 8 days to fend for herself.

On day 13, the soil was dry. I was going to give her 1/4 strength nutes, but read up on it a bit and it sounds like if the plants doing well at two weeks, that you can get away with 1/2 strength.

I gave her 200ml–300ml of 1/2 strength nutes and saw her roots start to shoot through the bottom holes and into my second pot (you'll see in the pics that they're double-potted. I'll get into this more as the grow continues.

[ Eight Days Later ... ]

Day 18: Closeup

Day 18: Pot shot

Yesterday, the soil/medium felt dry (I use the finger test) so here we are... 1 day after her second 1/2 strength feed.

The roots have shot through a few of the holes now, and that first shoot is a good 4"–5" through, shooting out fans of roots in all directions. Solid growth in a week, you can tell she was ready for some nutes.

But, too much too soon... ?

Stay tuned for the issues, posted below!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), Wasat (07-10-15)

Thanks

Hey dude it looks like you might want a little bigger pot for your girl, if the roots are already coming out the bottom and the soil is drying up quick that means there isn't enough root space. Looks good so far though dude, good luck

The Duder's Super Skunk Fem HID Grow Diary - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070408972

The Duder's Mandarin Kush LED PC Grow Diary - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...post1070408986

"A bowl a day keeps the doctor away"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDuder For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), smacka (11-09-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuder View Post
    Hey dude it looks like you might want a little bigger pot for your girl, if the roots are already coming out the bottom and the soil is drying up quick that means there isn't enough root space. Looks good so far though dude, good luck
    Thanks for checking it out, TheDuder!

The pots are definitely tiny, and I did a bad job filling this one. In a couple weeks I'll be sprouting my second seed and I'll add another 10%–15% Canna Terra Pro in there to give me that extra medium to work with. Bigger pots would be great, but if I'm going to fit 3 girls into a PC Case (Mini ATX), sacrifices must be made

For what it's worth, I'm using 1.5L pots – fairly small in the grand scheme of things but fairly large for the size I'm working in. I've seen others use 2L pots – in a PC case larger than mine – but am using 30% less space (and 15% less light).

With all that said, I'm sure the place will fill up within the following months. Hope you're subscribed and coming along for the ride!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), TheDuder (10-09-15)

Thanks

I'm going to do 2 ak-47 autos in my pc next time, im trying to find the right pots for the job

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDuder For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), smacka (11-09-15)

Thanks

What about a pic of the pc ?
    No matter where you go , there you are .

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dickiefickle For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), SkunkBudda403 (22-10-15), smacka (11-09-15)

Thanks

Hey dickiefickle, nice to have you along.

I don't have any lights-off pics unfortunately, but I put together a montage of the history of my box.

Like many micro-grows, they are more of a tinkering project than they are a growing project. I like playing with design, and considering the minutia of it all.

The original design

Like most first-timers, I let my tinkering get the better of me, and overthought the whole thing. I built in things that are totally unneeded, like a carbon filter (c'mon son, it's a PC case not a bedroom).

The problem with this design is that it was way too small to hold 3 plants in what I wanted to do (a perpetual).

Wasted space

Look at all that wasted space. Right now the carbon filter is pushed directly up against the back panel of the case. This simply won't do.

"Low Intake"

Originally there was no fan on the front of the main chamber. People have long talked about grow rooms having passive intake to ensure negative pressure. Even in the micro-grow world, people accept this as best practise, and build like this.

The next thing I did – as shown in the photo above – was to add a fan to "blow air around" and "keep the stalks strong". In this case, it was simply blowing at the base of the pot. Lame.

I think this is another fallacy that's been dragged over from the past knowledge of the grow room community, and that the micro-growing community can rewrite a few of these rules...

Final Design

As most things in life, things got better with age.

On the left, I've all but eliminated the "rear chamber". It holds wires and is as wide as a PC fan. The fan's are sandwiched between the back of the case, and a plastic rectangular cut-out with circles cut in it for the fan.

I've replaced the fans with silent models (it sounded like an aircraft taking off before). I've raised the main chambers fan – this pins the plexiglass up by design. It also gives a straight shot for air to flow from the front to the back, while simultaneously blowing across the plants and keeping their stalks strong.

Here's a link to the whole album. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to explain things where I can.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

jpsmoker840 (13-09-15), redisiel (24-10-15), SkunkBudda403 (22-10-15), Valentina (28-07-17)

Thanks

hey just from the amount of room you have you should train horizontally next time more and let them veg alittle long, you would get a better yeild

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDuder For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuder View Post
    hey just from the amount of room you have you should train horizontally next time more and let them veg alittle long, you would get a better yeild
    Those plants are from 2012 and there is no veg.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15)

Thanks

oh ok that makes more sense. Good luck on the grow

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDuder For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), smacka (14-09-15)

Thanks

great stuff!! looking forward to seeing the results of a fellow PC grower!!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpsmoker840 For This Useful Post:

redisiel (24-10-15), smacka (14-09-15), TheDuder (13-09-15)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast