Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed - Using 85W-127W CFL (Seasonal)

Thanks

Love little stealthy grows lke this, no excuse for having no space to grow eh lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smellyblues For This Useful Post:

smacka (27-09-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smellyblues View Post
    Love little stealthy grows lke this, no excuse for having no space to grow eh lol
    You said it!

I'm a grown man with the means to grow a full closet if I want to, but I don't smoke as much these days and this should allow me to be self-sufficient once dialled in.

I'll likely add a second, improved flower box, then demote this current little beast to a veg box – doubling number of plants I can working with, and allowing me to clone for better growth in the same time period.

Just spitballing ideas at this point, would love to hammer through five full growth cycles before I expand too much. There's still a lot to learn about this setup.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

beral1 (28-09-15), Wasat (07-10-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,664 Times

Very interesting grow. I'll tag along to see the show.

Best of luck!

Skunkbudda403

SkunkWorx - My currant Multi-Strain Perpetual 'Garden of Eden' Grow Adventures
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...5281-SkunkWorx

SkunkWorx 'Cacti Adventures'
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=165421

Interesting PDF Books: (Everything from A-Z will now mostly post Cannabis & Horticulture Information/Books)
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=129856

Skunkbudda's Random Horticulture (Non Cannabis Garden):
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=131105

Skunkbudda goes Strain Hunting:
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=134649

Skunkbudda403's Show:
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=127664

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SkunkBudda403 For This Useful Post:

smacka (28-09-15)

Thanks

Gentleman, we've had a fatality in the PC Case.

On day 8, it's time I come to grips with the fact our little seedling never made it past her little cotyledons.

There's a good potential that it was too hot when germinating, as I left her sitting in a box atop of the PC Case while I was out of town for a couple days.

Here she is on life support...

And her dead corpse...

I'm thinking it's from the heat. If not, just bad genes.

So I popped a new seed into the paper towels, and will re-use the pot and coco. This time around I'll be around some stuff to the mix:

• 25% Worm castings are an organic fertilizer/soil, and will help the plant grow in the early days when she's too young to be fed nutes. I noticed a significantly slower start than last time I was in this PC Case and I'm guessing it's because there were no nutrients. I know that Canna Terra is considered "soilless" so perhaps it's nutrient-free? Anyone?
    • 25% Perlite to get some air back into the medium. I think the coconut already holds water quite well, and I wouldn't mind a bit more drainage. I know the worm castings will muddy up the soil a bit, so this is just to keep things on a level playing field

Stay tuned, I hope to be back with good news in a couple days.
    Come along for the ride as I run through a full cycle of a Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

EaZiE (01-10-15), SkunkBudda403 (02-10-15), Wasat (07-10-15)

Thanks

Hi Smacka I'm enjoying watching your grow. I use a pc case too. I don't want to sound stupid but what nutrients will you use when you add worm castings to your coco? I use plain coco and I love it but I will watch with interest to see what difference the worm poop makes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Despoina For This Useful Post:

smacka (18-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Despoina View Post
    Hi Smacka I'm enjoying watching your grow. I use a pc case too. I don't want to sound stupid but what nutrients will you use when you add worm castings to your coco? I use plain coco and I love it but I will watch with interest to see what difference the worm poop makes.
    Hey Despoina, great to have you along

There are no stupid questions... I'll do my best to answer, but perhaps the best answer will be in the results.

I'm adding Worm Castings specifically to get my little plants through their first 4 weeks. In a 12/12 from seed setup, the first 4 weeks are monumental to the plants growth because not only are those the first few weeks of the plants life, but also the only time the plant has to veg.

For this plant, I didn't give it ANY nutes for the first couple weeks because all information online says that plants are too young in their first few weeks. That makes sense, but in a neutral mixture, I feel like my plant suffered from only having coco coir to survive.

Seeing as coco coir (coconut husks) is neutral and holds little-to-no nutrition, I'm thinking that some added nutrients will help the plant get through its first few weeks, since at week 4 (or 5) I usually start with quarter-strength or half-strength flower nutes as she flips into flower-mode.

Another option would be to stick with 100% coco coir and 1/4 strength nutes from the get-go (Week 1).

Micro-growing also means micro-tweaking, so we'll see how this second plant turns out It's 50% Canna Terra, 25% Perlite, 25% Worm Castings.

The seed cracked yesterday, and although it's moving slowly, the new seed should be in the new soil mix in the next 12–24 hours.

Stand by...
    Last edited by smacka; 05-10-15 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Formatting.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

Wasat (07-10-15)

Thanks

OK thanks Smacka. Fingers crossed for the new sprout Hope you don't mind me saying but your coco always looks dry in your pics and that isn't right. Coco is hydraponics so it needs water to work. I water mine every day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Despoina For This Useful Post:

smacka (17-10-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,214 Times

hiya smacka, fascinating, I almost went w a pc case but opted for a 11 x 17 x 48 inch cabinet.

you seem pretty well dialed in, as if you been at this for ...? years? I see yer join date 2012...
    but you say your a new grower? well dont really matter 'eh. your getting really respectible results in yer pc case.

and I believe in growing just for my needs, like you & have developed a groom size to fit me.

and innit more like bonsai growing yer plants too, mame' is japanese for tiny tree.
    I been spot looking at pc grows, think Ill sub to this one, do ya mind I tag along?
    Kind Regards
    wasat

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wasat For This Useful Post:

smacka (17-10-15)

Thanks

Welcome aboard Wasat! Glad to have you.

Great job on the mini box – I think you'll be happy with the extra space.

I'm a long way from dialled-in here. After a few rounds I'll have this baby churning out nugs... You'll see!

I'm not super-experienced. Over the years I've been involved in grows to varying degrees, but I'm pretty brand new to PC grow cases.

Definitely agree that micro-growing is similar to bonsai in ways.

To address the elephant in the room, micro-growing is kind of considered a joke in the marijuana industry. In part because the risk is still pretty high when it comes to growing pot, versus the reward when compared to just boxing off half the garage for a few months.

I'm a futurist, and I believe in small groups of DIY folk building foundation for later cultural development. I've seen a few impressive PC grows, and I'd love to stand on their shoulders and help bring new innovation.

The CFL's in my setup are definitely a drawback, but switching to CMH/MH/HPS means a rebuild, and needing to enlarge the space (read; buy new PC Case; one of the tallboy's like most other growers use), and I'm just not into that at the moment. I'd rather take a few months and learn to max this space out.

Not much to report yet, the flower girl is chugging along slowly, and the seedling just popped her head out yesterday morning. This morning she still had a helmet on, and I find most of the growth happens at night in this case, so I check them once per day in the mornings.

Here's a close up from yesterday (day 45 from seed).

And here's a weird angle, looking at some of the smaller buds that are starting to show up.

Believe it or not, we're kind of looking down at the plant in this shot, because I use LST to open up bud sites by pulling the plant across the pot rather than pulling branches down.

You can see in the bottom leaves that she's suffering from nitrogen deficiencies, and having a plant this small lose two larger sets of leaves has a big impact. Hopefully the worm castings will help with this next time 'round. I have the grow shop on speed dial if I need to run down and grab some veg. nutes for her.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,214 Times

I like the way ya think, smaka, sound philosophical foundation, mate. aye, we're defo not industrialists for sure lol
    no, self-sufficient is my goal. n that dont take much.

Yer plant looks great, other than the N def.
    Ive struggled w N def in 2nd half of flowering. The past 2 Ive added Blood Meal to soil, in orig mix & 1 or 2 times
    during grow, esp'ly at start of flowering I mix more in soil. Alos keeping 1/4 str Veg nutes all way thru flowering.
    for current plant. I think Im liking the results. Much slower yellowing/aging on this one.
    I push a lot of PK too, my Bloom nutes are 5 - 50 - 17 =hot stuff. Plus the PK. but I try to keep the total
    of several nutes to equal the full str. of any one. (hope that makes sense) so shes getting a big blast of feed
    but not an overdose, Im still learning. Still more questions than answers

I do keep notes on every plant, what nutes when & amt water & runoff. If I dont write it down I forget details.
    its taken me over a year & half doz grows to start to feel like I have a clue now. I got tons of help here at THCT too.
    some great growers around I rely on. Soz for long ramble..

atb
    w

New: Delicious & Fast Buds Autos

completed->
    Wasalotogreen's Garden
    completed->"Proving Grounds" grow Autos

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wasat For This Useful Post:

smacka (17-10-15)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast