Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed - Using 85W-127W CFL (Seasonal)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wasat View Post
    I like the way ya think, smaka, sound philosophical foundation, mate. aye, we're defo not industrialists for sure lol
    no, self-sufficient is my goal. n that dont take much.

Yer plant looks great, other than the N def.
    Ive struggled w N def in 2nd half of flowering. The past 2 Ive added Blood Meal to soil, in orig mix & 1 or 2 times
    during grow, esp'ly at start of flowering I mix more in soil. Alos keeping 1/4 str Veg nutes all way thru flowering.
    for current plant. I think Im liking the results. Much slower yellowing/aging on this one.
    I push a lot of PK too, my Bloom nutes are 5 - 50 - 17 =hot stuff. Plus the PK. but I try to keep the total
    of several nutes to equal the full str. of any one. (hope that makes sense) so shes getting a big blast of feed
    but not an overdose, Im still learning. Still more questions than answers

I do keep notes on every plant, what nutes when & amt water & runoff. If I dont write it down I forget details.
    its taken me over a year & half doz grows to start to feel like I have a clue now. I got tons of help here at THCT too.
    some great growers around I rely on. Soz for long ramble..

atb
    w
    I love rambling with people and think the best ideas come from late nights geeking out on a subject with people.

I have a confession...

I tried to go back and edit my last comment which said, "I have the grow shop on speed dial if I need to run down and grab some veg. nutes for her.".

Right after I wrote this, I pulled up the hydro store's website and saw Canna's suggested feeding schedule and realised I'm way short on products. Yellowing leaves makes total sense because I'm not giving them enough nutes at both stages...

a) from seed / faux-vegging (they only have their first 3, maybe 4 weeks to "veg" in 12/12, right?)
    b) throughout flower, they have another 3-4 products I'm short on.

So I ran down to the store and picked up a couple more.

Now I have veg nutes to get her through the first few weeks, as well as some canna boost every couple weeks during flower (for bud production).

I haven't used either, so bare with me while I learn the ropes. Now that I've got the veg nutes, I'm wishing I hadn't mixed in the worm castings and perlite, but what's done is done. Here's to hoping the second plant is twice the size, and not nute burnt to a crisp.

As per the guide, I'll start this little baby on quarter strength nutes starting soon. She's 4 days old today, with two small jagged leaves (perhaps heat issues, inside her plastic cover) and two more coming in. I've pulled off her plastic, and will introduce you all at the next update.

SIDE NOTE, as these things tend to come in handy down the road, when people search... Canna Terra Pro isn't completely neutral, as I'd been reading. The hydro guy said it has calcium added. Good to know.
    Come along for the ride as I run through a full cycle of a Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

Wasat (12-10-15)

Thanks

Ive struggled w N def in 2nd half of flowering.
    Don't forget...

(source)

Also keeping 1/4 str Veg nutes all way thru flowering.
    This is interesting. I'll read up on it and see what I think. If I run into the same issues with the second plant, this sounds like a good solution.

For now, I'm more than okay with the nutrients this second plant will be getting.

Happy growing, Wasat!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

Wasat (17-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smacka View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuder View Post
    Hey so what is the strain or was it from the mixed bag of seeds?
    I mentioned this earlier but thought I'd reiterate for you; this particular seed is a feminised bagseed, sent to me by a friendly seed company.
    Jeesh! Just realised how snarky this message sounded, TheDuder. Sorry about that, I didn't mean it like that.

I meant it as in, "I'm happy to talk more about this, but I don't have a good answer for you."

Thanks

Plant 1: Day 52 (Week 7) From Seed

This girl is 5 days from receiving her full strength nutes with Canna Bloom added. The tips of her leaves are just starting to show nute burn, which is okay for me because her next feed is a water (err... rather 1/4 strength nutes) to wash out everything out, and give her a chance to wash it all down.

After this next water, she's back on full strength nutes with Canna Bloom added.

I'm concerned about that Nitrogen deficiency, hoping that this next girl fairs better with her veg nutes.

Speaking of the next girl...

Plant 2: Day 8 (Week 1) From Seed

Introducingggg... A new woman to our PC case. She is also feminized bag seed, which came as an extra when I last bought beans. I do have a few beans lying around that I do know the name of, so when our third plant gets introduced (in just 3 weeks!), I'll be sure to start something that we can actually talk about

For now, here's the new addition to the Case.

Her first few days were spent under that freezer bag ziploc, and with an uptick in climate, the box hit 28°C a couple days in a row, and I don't know to what extent the bag acts as a multiplier, but I recognised she needed that bag off.

As you can see she was a little heat stressed but Christ, when aren't seedlings whining about something, right?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smacka For This Useful Post:

Despoina (18-10-15), Wasat (17-10-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,214 Times

heyaya smacka, shes comin on full tilt flowering - sweet.

not sure the yellow leafs too critical, yet for a small plant, every one important 'eh
    shes looking top shelf even if a wee lady

New: Delicious & Fast Buds Autos

completed->
    Wasalotogreen's Garden
    completed->"Proving Grounds" grow Autos

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wasat For This Useful Post:

smacka (17-10-15)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Despoina View Post
    OK thanks Smacka. Fingers crossed for the new sprout Hope you don't mind me saying but your coco always looks dry in your pics and that isn't right. Coco is hydraponics so it needs water to work. I water mine every day!
    Hey Despoina, I just saw this comment. When I went through your posts, I saw you now own v12xjs' old PC case. What a marvel that one is!

Would love to see some of what you got going on over there. Are you still using CFL's? What does your setup look like in terms of lighting, and grow schedule?

After over-watering my last grow, I feel like I've done a better job with this one, but maybe I'm feeding too much water and she's taking too long to recover/dry out?

As the plant grows up I've found myself going from watering once per week, to now closer to every five days. I'm watering about 2 Cups and re-investing run-off after everything's sat for a few minutes. Perhaps I should be watering just 1 Cup?

You water every day? Do your roots ever get a chance to dry out?

I've realised with this new seedling that I need to get in the habit of introducing new plants in small pots, and potting up every month or so. 2 cups is way too much water for such a small plant.

Would love to bounce ideas off of other PC case growers who have been at this a while and have more knowledge than me.

heyaya smacka, shes comin on full tilt flowering - sweet.

not sure the yellow leafs too critical, yet for a small plant, every one important 'eh
    shes looking top shelf even if a wee lady
    You nailed it. For a plan this small, it sucks that I've had to pinch off the bottom 6 branches. That's half the plant haha!

But truthfully, there's a lot of learning going on – while this plant might only net me a few grams, and while the next one might be over-watered and over-nuted, the next one will only get better.

Three weeks and counting until a new seed goes in. For this next seed I'm switching back to pure Coco, using a known strain, using the veg nutes, small pots, and watering more often.

Thanks for tagging along.

Thanks

Hi Smacka your plants are looking great. I love seeing them blossom and glisten like that I have v's old case but its seen better days and I struggle opening and closing the door panel every time grrr! I couldn't get anything to stay alive for long in it when i used soil and CFL's so don't listen to me with your plant lol! I do get coco now though since he explained it to me. I have a 70w Philips Mastercolor Elite 930 light.
    the coco fibres are little straws that hold air but the air gets stale when the roots use it. so when you water you fill the pot to the top and keep it filled for a few moments so that the water is a solid block that acts like a plunger as it goes down. that pushes out all the stale air out of the bottom and sucks in fresh air behind it. The refreshing process is complete when the excess water comes out of the bottom. So the roots always have fresh nutrients and fresh air available. It feels all wrong when I do it but they stay alive and grow really fast. He told me to use 2.5ml of coco A and 2.5ml of coco B in every litre of water and to refresh them all with that every day except for seedlings and they all love it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Despoina View Post
    Hi Smacka your plants are looking great. I love seeing them blossom and glisten like that

I have v's old case but its seen better days and I struggle opening and closing the door panel every time grrr! I couldn't get anything to stay alive for long in it when i used soil and CFL's so don't listen to me with your plant lol! I do get coco now though since he explained it to me. I have a 70w Philips Mastercolor Elite 930 light.

The coco fibres are little straws that hold air but the air gets stale when the roots use it. so when you water you fill the pot to the top and keep it filled for a few moments so that the water is a solid block that acts like a plunger as it goes down. that pushes out all the stale air out of the bottom and sucks in fresh air behind it. The refreshing process is complete when the excess water comes out of the bottom. So the roots always have fresh nutrients and fresh air available.

It feels all wrong when I do it but they stay alive and grow really fast. He told me to use 2.5ml of coco A and 2.5ml of coco B in every litre of water and to refresh them all with that every day except for seedlings and they all love it
    Cool, thanks for breaking it down. I didn't know that coco fibre was hollow like a straw.

Definitely agree that the feed/water is to act like a plunger, and that forcing water through will push (and pull) air out (and in). When you water dry soil, you can hear the bubbles breaking (sounds like little clicks), which to me sounds like the plants/roots doing the "Ahhhhhh!" sound humans make on their first sip of beer after a long day at work

With that said...

If I watered every day, my roots would rot. As of notw, I'm watering once per week. Not sure what differentiators between our setup could be, but here are some options:

• Maybe your pots dry up faster because of the CMH bulb?
    • Maybe my pots are over-sized, and it takes the roots too long to sip up the water?
    • Maybe there aren't enough roots in Plant #1, due to not getting any veg nutes?

I'd love to see pics of your setup – do you have a grow thread going? Link?

Anyway, first plant is coming along at her own pace, I'm guessing I've got 3 or 4 weeks left of flowering.

Second plant is 14 days from seed today, and is coming along nicely as well (pic update tomorrow).

She's only had one feed so far and reacted well so I'll give her another 3/4 strength nutes in a day or two and see how she progresses.

Thanks

Plant #1 (Day 59 from seed)

Alright folks, so our flowering princess is coming along nicely...

Still pretty annoyed that the Nitrogen deficiency has plagued this girl from the start. I considered adding 1/4 strength Veg nutes to give her SOMETHING to grab onto, but I hadn't heard of anyone other than Wasat doing this – can anyone verify/recommend/recommend-against this? – and she's so close to finishing now, I'm just going to let her die with on her shield like that. She's at 30 days (4.5 weeks) of flowering right now, so I suspect she'll have another 2-4 weeks. I don't have a loupe – edit: just bought one, it's on it's way – so I'll have to do this first plant by eye.

Plant #2 (Day 15 from seed)

And we're starting to see the second round of seedling grow into something worth sharing, now. Won't be much longer before she's getting tied down like her sister.

She's starting to get droopy, and rightfuly so! She hasn't been fed in a week! The pot's still quite heavy, and the soil gets moist after a half inch or so, so I'm going to give her one more day, and then give her another feed.

I had a personal goal to give this girl a better life than her sister, and my first milestone for that was to grow a 5-fingered leaf on her third node. The first plant went: 1-finger, 3-fingers, 3-fingers, 5-fingers... and I wanted to cut out that second 3-finger node. Success!

"I am Jack's sense of accomplishment"

What do you think?

Thanks

Hi Smacka everything looks good in your garden today I'm sorry I can't explain coco enough so you get me. I told you it didn't feel right when I do it so we are kind of the same but I took a leap of faith when v told me to do it and it was right for me. There is a thread in QA here where everyone is giving the same advice so I'm not trying to pull your leg.
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...2-Coco-Growers
    I don't have a diary or anything but I went mad with my phone cam yesterday so I will start one soon I think. I put some in my gallery if you want a sneak peek

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast