Thread: wtf is this???

Thanks

Default wtf is this???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-up on 26-09-2015 at 10.28 (compiled).jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	309862

I had a spidermite infection in my last grow. Thoroughly dosed all the plants with plant vitality 3 times. Bleached the tents and the room itself along with every tool in there.

Cant see much leaf damage, was tying down some stems when I saw these fuckers on the pot itself move around really fast this was the only pic I could get.

Don't look like the spider mites I had the two spotted variety but I'm not sure.

Should I be worried?

Macky Guest

Think that might be fungus gnats bro, from the description anyway, can't really make out much from the pics, and I've never seen them, but yer, fungus gnats I reckon, google them and have a butchers, let me know if I'm right

Macky Guest

Yer, just googled it all, here is how to fix it:

Fungus Gnat Control

Inspect plants thoroughly prior to purchase for signs of insect pests. Turn up soil carefully near the base of the plant and look for the glossy, clear larvae. Reject any plant sending up flying gnats.
    Fungus gnats do best in damp soils; be careful not to overwater, especially during winter months when plants use less. When potting, avoid water holding, organic material such as peat moss that may encourage egg laying.
    If pests are present, allow the soil to dry to a depth of one to two inches between waterings. This not only kills larvae and inhibits the development of eggs, it also makes the soil less attractive to egg-laying females. Apply Gnat Nix as a top dressing to significantly reduce pest populations.
    Use Yellow Sticky Traps placed horizontally at the soil surface to capture large numbers of egg laying adults. The gnats are attracted to yellow and are easily removed on the trap before they can lay more eggs.
    A highly effective way to kill larvae without risks to pets, birds, or wildlife, Mosquito Bits (Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis) contain a highly selective, biological larvicide recommended safe for greenhouses and garden water features. It can be used on a wide variety of ornamentals, as well as all bulb crops, bedding plants and vegetable sets.
    Top dress houseplants with Beneficial Nematodes to destroy the larvae stage. Nematodes are microscopic round worms that penetrate fungus gnat larvae, as well as harmful lawn and garden grubs , fleas, and other soil-borne pests (they do not harm earthworms), then release a bacterium that consumes the pest from the inside out. The long-lasting nematodes are safe for use around pets, plants, and your family.
    Flying Insect Killer, a combination of peppermint, cinnamon and sesame oils, is a non-toxic spray that will get rid of gnats and other insects that gather around windows.
    Tip: The Fungus Gnat Predator (Hypoaspis aculeifer) is a tiny, but effective killer of fungus gnat and other harmful larvae found in soil. On release, they make for a slow but steady, persistent decline in pest numbers. This beneficial insect prowls the soil attacking the larvae and feeding on their contents. Release 10,000 predators per 200 – 1,000 square feet depending on pest levels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Machi View Post
    Think that might be fungus gnats bro, from the description anyway, can't really make out much from the pics, and I've never seen them, but yer, fungus gnats I reckon, google them and have a butchers, let me know if I'm right
    Nah not a fungus Gnat, well at least not from the photos I can see on google. it doesn't have any wings and its kind of a yellow translucent colour. More Opage than spider mites I had before and a bit more elongated.

Thanks for your help though.

Macky Guest

Cool, sorry I couldn't help man, I'm lucky, never had any parasites.... Yet lol. Good luck man, hope you can figure it out

Thanks

ha lucky you I went 2 years without them and once I got them I have never really got rid, that was 2 years ago. its a nightmare.

Macky Guest

Yer, once you're infected man, it's hard to get rid of. They lay eggs all over the place and it's hard to get rid of them all. Next time you take your tent down, try sticking it in the bath with a fuck load of bleach and try and scrub everything! Get brand new soil, clean the carpets of the house too lol,these thing lay eggs in the carpets which get stuck to your shoes and make their way back to the grow room. I'm always extra sure to get everything clean. Once that infestation comes, it's easier to just get a new tent lol

Hope you can figure it out bro

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 39,741 Times

I've put sharp sand ontop of my soil.
    When they hatch an try an crawl thru it
    It shreds there wings.
    Also it suffocates the eggs.
    They come in soil so don't matter if it's new
    Or old soil.use raid fly spray on them.

Autos
    Redemption Grow Take 2

Photo's
    Green lizard lick growing
    Exodus cheese exo-bition

THERE IS A STRICT 10 PLANT MAXIMUM RULE ON THIS SITE!.YOU WILL BE BANNED FOR BREACHING THIS!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ERBURT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm growing in coco but I do think thats where they came from. Unfortunately a lot of these hydro shops have tents set up in the store and I imagine they are infested.

I'm gonna get that sharp sand tomorrow it sound like a good idea, thanks.