Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Set up from start to finish

Thanks

Default Set up from start to finish

Hi, just about to start growing our first ever plants. We have a nice size cupboard with everything we need.

What do you do with the seeds before you plant them?

any info much appreciated or even step by step instructions. Only want to grow 2 or 3 plants at this stage. Thanks

Thanks

All the instructions you will ever want in the novice section from seed to harvest and every thing in between, and welcome aboard.

Thanks

heres some basic advice~

take your seeds and put them in the bottom of your fridge for a few days, then take them and place them in a paper towel and wet this with water, put this in a freezer bag or something you can close up and keep the moisture in, a small plastic tupperware box or something similar would do as well, then place it somewhere warm
    check every day and once you see them open and a little bit of root starts to pop out then gently put them into a small pot, say 3", filled with a decent seedling potting compost,
    dont use normal garden compost yet as this is too strong for them just now,
    put them about 1/8" under the surface and water the soil, put some cling film over the pot to keep the moisture in and once you see it sprouting from the surface remove the clingfilm and place them underneath a lightsource,
    you could use a compact flourescent (energy saving) bulb, or 2 or 3 or4 whatever, but do not use the old type household incandescent bulbs these are no use for growing plants with, and place it close to the plant about 6-8" away, give them 18/6 hours of light/dark each day

as the plants get bigger you can get bigger lights for them, there are plenty to choose from, if you live in the UK then look here for all you need --->http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk/index.asp
    this place is recommended by this site

they will only need watered every 4-7 days maybe but dont overwater them, let the soil dry out a bit before watering again,
    after a couple of weeks or so then repot into a bigger pot, say 5-6", using decent potting on compost
    after another 3-4 weeks repot again into far bigger pots, say 12-15" pots this time with decent potting compost designed for mature plants
    as they get bigger they will need more water more frequently but never keep the soil too damp, always allow it to dry out a bit.

if you do this you wont need to feed them at all for the first 2-3 months of their life which really eliminates the hassle of feeding nutrients which can be a major stumbling point for the first time grower

id recommend using quality soils like John Innes seedling compost to begin with, then John Innes No1 potting on compost for your first repot, then John Innes No2 potting compost for the next repot into the big pots,
    i personally would NOT recommend you use any of the Miracle Grow composts as they dont seem to have a good reputation with cannabis growers.

when it come to the time you want to flower the plant to get some buds change the light cycle to 12/12 hours of light/dark each day and in about 6-9 weeks 9 (rough average) the plant will finish flowering and hopefully you should have a nice little smoke for yourself

anyway hope this is a help to you, dont be afraid to ask as many questions as you need ok, just post them in the relevent section of the forum, were here to help

good luck and happy growing

cheers

dj#
    "If i cant smoke and swear im F**KED!"
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/image.php?u=5246&type=sigpic&dateline=1249748262
    THCTalk recommends Greens Horticulture for all your growing needs
    if iv been of some help to you please take a second and press the thanks button, cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitewidman View Post
    All the instructions you will ever want in the novice section from seed to harvest and every thing in between, and welcome aboard.
    Or you could just wait for dj who's a mine of infomation and must type faster than anyone I know.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it's along the same lines:

about the compost, I was just planning to use normal soil from start to finish since i'm doing auto plants. Should I be using 3 different types of soil instead? Also only plan to transfer once, I got some mini seedling pots and after 2/3 weeks when they're bigger I plan to put em into 6" (or was it 8"?) pots.

Thanks

If you're doing autos start in a seedling compost in a small pot then when about 3" put into their final pots with nomal potting compost mixed with 30-40% perlite. Plants don't like repotting when in flower and autos are in flower from the start.

Thanks

Ahhhh I see... 40% perlite wow that's a lot. thanks!

Thanks

yeh it is a lot, maybe too much??, i would personally use 25% max, but its up to you

Thanks

Follow dj I'm a hydro grower and he knows best. Sorry for bad lead.

Thanks

I'm gonna start my grow diary 2moro with a rough plan. Actual growing will commence soon as I get back from my trip hopefully that'll give me some time to eek out any misconceptions etc.

Still I've got a pretty good grasp of the theory now; the novice section + jorge cervantes' DVD both helped.

Woo! Can't wait!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast