Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on compost bin grow

Henry_Haberdasher Guest

Lightbulb Advice on compost bin grow

Hi guys,

After much reading and pondering since discovering this awesome idea i've decided to give a space bucket a go. I love the whole CFL stealth grow idea and as a long time lover of the fine product this is my first grow so i'm approaching this as a complete newbie in that sense.

So, onto the bucket. I've got a 80L compost bin from B&Q that i'm going to adapt. I already have some second hand equipment I got cheap but it's too large for my current space so it's in storage but i've kept back a few parts. Mainly the brand new bulb and a couple of poles.

I've got a 6400k 125w Omega CFL in there giving off (please correct me if i'm wrong anyone!) either 5000 Lumens or 7500 depending on the website you cite. Also got 4 2700k 23w CFL's giving off 1500L each. giving me a grand total of 11,000 Lumens or 13,500 depending on your base figure for the 125W. It also covers both ends of the spectrum. I think this is a decent enough amount get an oz.

I'm going for auto blue mystic so I was trying to keep to the 2700k to keep it short but I inherited a 6400k big one so might as well use it too. I'm a bit worried about the stretch that the 6400k will give it given the small size of the container.
    I'm going to plant in soil straight into a 20L pot. I want to disturb it as little as possible. I will be definitely be trying LST since it's such a short container and potentially attempting a SCROG if i'm feeling bold enough.

I've got a few photos, mylar is on it's way so that's yet to do. but otherwise it's more or less there. I made a slide attachment on the side so I can raise or lower the 150w, it is also supported on by string just to keep it level and stable.

Any advice please, i'm a bit worried about a couple of things, the distance the smaller CFL's will be until it gets to a fair size, maybe need to figure a way to bring them downwards using some sort of pole (of which I have many). and also the proximity of the 125w bulb to the edge of the compost bin, especially once mylar is glued on.

Two fans are also on their way for extraction. I bought 3, one for intake and 2 exhausts, but seeing the build up and in situ i think one exhaust will be sufficient. What do you think?

Thanks

PS - I have an imgur album link but can't post it because my post count is less than 10 since i'm a newbie here. Sorry.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry_Haberdasher For This Useful Post:

IndicaDaze (19-10-15), M_C (18-10-15)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Hi mate, welcome to the forum

A couple of things... a 20L pot is excessive, 5-7L will be big enough & Autos don't scrog well, stick with LST
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

IndicaDaze (19-10-15), SkunkBudda403 (18-10-15)

Henry_Haberdasher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Hi mate, welcome to the forum

A couple of things... a 20L pot is excessive, 5-7L will be big enough & Autos don't scrog well, stick with LST
    Thanks M_C, great advice. Cheers. I'll replace my pot before I plant, which is awesome because it gives me more room in the bucket for my lights. But it makes the problem of the lights being too high even worse. I shall have to come up with a solution to lower them to begin with and be able to raise them as the grow progresses. Either that or lower the plant itself.

I will definitely be LST'ing as i'm quite keen to try that. I shall give up on any SCROG dreams with this one then. Thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Henry_Haberdasher For This Useful Post:

M_C (18-10-15)

Thanks

Books, DVD cases & things like that will lift the plant closer to the light & you can remove them one by one as needed

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

SkunkBudda403 (18-10-15), smacka (19-10-15)

Henry_Haberdasher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Books, DVD cases & things like that will lift the plant closer to the light & you can remove them one by one as needed
    Absolutely, I was thinking of doing that as it seems easier to move the pot than the CFL....

I read somewhere that good air circulation is replacing all the air in the enclosure every 5 minutes. I'm going to do some maths re: fans, air movement etc, but as a whole does this apply to the smaller stealth grows as well or just the tent grows?

If that is correct then it's just this seems easily achievable in a bucket grow which is good news.

Thanks

Yeah, you need to exchange the air as otherwise it gets stale & moist... neither are good for your plants...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

SkunkBudda403 (18-10-15)

Henry_Haberdasher Guest

Thanks M_C

Thanks

Hey Henry_Haberdasher, where'd your name from?

I'm also a fan of imgur.

Can't wait to see the pics, so I'm asking question to help you pad your posts a bit.

I'll be following along as you go, good luck!
    Come along for the ride as I run through a full cycle of a Perpetual PC Case - 12/12 From Seed.

Thanks

Get on that 3 word story asap and those posts will be up to target in no time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IndicaDaze For This Useful Post:

smacka (19-10-15)

Henry_Haberdasher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smacka View Post
    Hey Henry_Haberdasher, where'd your name from?
    Love it, cheers smacka. It came to me in a smokey vision

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Henry_Haberdasher For This Useful Post:

smacka (20-10-15)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast