Thread: Curing smell is off I think

Thanks

Default Curing smell is off I think

Hi all

Currently curing my Auto Jack Herer I recently harvested from my first ever grow in my PC box. I have 2 very small mason jars, one of them has the LARGE nug from the top of the plant and the other jar contains the rest of the nugs/popcorn bud. The jar containing the popcorn buds etc seems ok but when opening the jar for the Large Nug it smells like wet grass, not weed!!!

Am I doing something wrong? I hung them to dry for 6 days before putting them into cure or will the smell of Jack Herer come as they dry?

Cheers
    JP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jpsmoker840 For This Useful Post:

toptoker Guest

I found mate... slow dry it with ventilation8 running in the dark... bout 5 days, get urself a small hygrometer an stick it in jar, if reads under 70% keep burping jar until under 65% ... perfect cure zone for me was 60%rh.... all smells came back an was just awesome premium bud

toptoker Guest

Id also put them in one jar together so it 80% full if you can... an keep burping, mini hygrometer dials are really awesome for curing

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

tbh you might have to chop up/cube the large one,more chance of rot/mold if kept in one big lump and will also take a lot longer to dry it to the stage it needs to be before even thinking about jarring it.

sounds(smells?)like it needs cutting into smaller bits and a good bit more drying before doing the curing bit with it.

i always chop mine into little nugs after first couple days in dry room and then continue drying till buds are "springy" when lightly crushed and only then put them in jars,waste of time jarring/curing if they are still wet n sticky and go "flat" when squeezed.

smell wise curing does tend to have a slightly off smell to begin with but once at 55-60 RH smell will come back and will continue to get nicer as time goes on..

i have some paradise acid that have been in jars for 2 months now and they at first had an almost rank smell,i searched dilligently for mold but was just their "way",now they are so gooood i almost get a stiffy when opening jar.
    and smokewise their name is very apt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Haha, cheers guys! just got a micro hydrometer of amazon to keep an eye on humidity in the jars - I has a look at the bigger bud under my microscope and no mould so thats good news! I will chop it up in to finer/smaller pieces and put it back in the jar

Cheers Dudes
    JP

toptoker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmoker840 View Post
    Haha, cheers guys! just got a micro hydrometer of amazon to keep an eye on humidity in the jars - I has a look at the bigger bud under my microscope and no mould so thats good news! I will chop it up in to finer/smaller pieces and put it back in the jar

Cheers Dudes
    JP
    It woudnt bother choppin it up mate, iv cured fat colas perfect ok not the biggest lol but probs 3-4 inches long with a fat ass girth, aslong as the humidity in the jar doesnt exceed 70% rh way less chance of going mouldy 55-65 is sweet