Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weak Stems.. Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks

Question Weak Stems.. Help!

Ok so im a new toker n grower.. I was having problems getting my Strawberry Cough seeds to germinate for about a month i couldn't get the seeds to sprout.. about 3 weeks ago I finally got it right n found out what i was doing wrong.. I germinated the seeds in a papertowel tray and then planted them in a pot filled halfway with small rocks and the rest of the way with fresh potting soil.. (originally i was using potting soil but i added the chemical fertilizer early n put too much making the dirt acidic and useless.. )

Anyways so I finally got some sprouts and they are about 3-5 inches high already... the problem is they are starting to bend down.. (two plants by the way) one of them actually tipped over so i used a small stick n tied it down to keep it upright.. there are two leafs coming out and the plant is really green.. I water it everyother day just enough to get the soil moist to last a day.. n I water again when the soil feels dry to the touch..

I am keeping the plants in a 24 hr/ 6 days a week light cycle to begin..

can anyone tell me why the stems are soo weak??? what can i do to fix it.. i put all this work into it n I want to c these plants thru..

Thanks in advance to any advice..

Thanks

sounds like your overwatering them, but you'll have to provide some proper specific info so it helps us understand the problem a bit better

how much water are you giving them?
    how often?
    how big are the pots they are in?
    what light do you have?
    how close do you keep it to the tops of the plants?
    are you providing enough fresh air/movement?
    whats the temperatures like?
    you mention a 24hour 6 day a week light cycyle?
    what happens on the 7th day??

you should give them 18/6 or 20/4 hours of light/dark each day, they like a few hours dark per day so their roots can grow

and can you post pictures?
    this would help us help you
    "If i cant smoke and swear im F**KED!"
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/image.php?u=5246&type=sigpic&dateline=1249748262
    THCTalk recommends Greens Horticulture for all your growing needs
    if iv been of some help to you please take a second and press the thanks button, cheers

Thanks

well the pots they are in measure they have a diameter of 8 inches and are about 5 inches high...

A cup of water (i'm measuring) is sprinkled every other day if the soil feels sorta dry to the touch..
    As far as light goes nothing fancy.. I'm using 3... 60 watt light bulbs and one 40 watt HID LIGHT..
    I have also sorrounded the pot with aluminum foil to reflect some light back to the plants.. the foil is full of holes to allow the air thru.. (c Pictures)

the 24 hr/ 6 day cycle is 24 hr light for 6 days and on the seventh day they rest (no light)...

Well I'm growing these plants in my basement.. which is sorta humid.. and the temperature down here is around 70-80 degrees Farenheight....

Well im doing my first try growing with a low budget.. I'm growing more out of curiosity than need since i can get my green pretty cheap from a friend that grows.. at any time i want..

Yes i am growing this on my computer desk...

just to note I planted two seeds in each pot.. (will kill the one growing slower, I did this because I wanted to make sure something sprouted in each pot..

First picture is my good pot that has no bending or weak stems...

second pic and the ones following is my dwindling second pot.. both pots have identical setups..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Good Pot.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	5769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pot 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	5770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pot3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	5771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green Leaves.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	5772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pencil hold.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	5773  

looking for a small boat.............with a hole in the bottom!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finchrocks215 View Post

the 24 hr/ 6 day cycle is 24 hr light for 6 days and on the seventh day they rest (no light)...
    wtf dude, on the 7th day they rest?? no light, does the sun go down on the 7th day in nature??
    If you want em to live and not stress, get em on either 20/4 or 18/6 light cycle 7 days a week.
    civilisations are like the little sparks that fly from a bonfire, winking into existance and being snuffed out as they confront their own particular obstacle.

Abused and unloved bonfire plant

POTM entry april 09

Tiles Of The Simpsons Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,237 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRnutter View Post
    wtf dude, on the 7th day they rest?? no light, does the sun go down on the 7th day in nature??
    If you want em to live and not stress, get em on either 20/4 or 18/6 light cycle 7 days a week.
    lol, i too was amazed by the rest day!

I prefer 24/7 for the Veg period... 12/12 for flowering, or as GSX rightly says, 20/4 and 18/6 will also work well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRnutter View Post
    Wait are we talking jesus here or cannabis ? when did the forum switch over ??

but joking aside im sure there's plenty of help around here

how far is the light away from them? maybe there streching to get the light
    Quote Originally Posted by wert View Post
    i wonder if it will leave you a note ''dear john.....'' when it trundles off to the neighbors house that is growing with a 600w light instead of your 400w.........sneaky little ..........
    Fathers nearly silent fan and fillter modClick here

Thanks

They are stretching to buggery, not getting enough light.

What light are you using on a desk?

Thanks

you need a fan blowing on them to stimulate wind or the stems will never strenthen

looking for a small boat.............with a hole in the bottom!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lowsparrow View Post
    They are stretching to buggery, not getting enough light.

What light are you using on a desk?
    Quote Originally Posted by someone View Post
    you need a fan blowing on them to stimulate wind or the stems will never strenthen
    Agree with both these, but also, that soil mixture has no were near enough drainage, this is sorted by using more perlite, I think the general rule is 25-30% perlite to soil ratio.

Thanks

I'd also agree with both Lowsparrow and Someone, A fan would be best, if not, give them a gentle shake for a few seconds each morning, this will also stimulate wind.
    My plants stretched to, due to not enough light, as soon as they went under a HPS they loved it, and started thickening thier stem.

Also, do roots only grow in the dark dj? As my plants are 24/0 and get no darkness at all, I wasn't aware of any side effects of doing this? (apart from the leccy bill being a tad higher )
    "One cannot help but ponder the strange dichotomy that a nation based on establishing individual freedom has now outlawed every substance which might aid in the exploration of that last and most important frontier, the human mind."
    [B]
    Checkout my new thctalk inspired blog at: http://thcblog.co.uk/

All the Cannabis E-books you will need:
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...972#post197972

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast