Thread: Perlite, soil mix ratio

Thanks

Default Perlite, soil mix ratio

Just wondered how much perlite people mix up in their soil. I can't remember exactly what the bloke in the shop said, I have 10ltrs or perlite and 100ltrs of soil (50ltr bags), I'm sure he said mix them all together (well half a bag of the perlite to a full bag of soil) sound right?

Also started to germ my seeds and checked on them earlier and and some already have their tap root showing (about 3-4mm) one looked like it had started to split but I think tomorrow that nipper will sprout couldn't look at the other 1 or 2 as I dint want to disturb it all too much being my virgin grow lol.

White Warg Guest

That would be a 10% perlite mix, which might even be a little light. Around 20-30% is common, I just mixed-up around 25%.

It can also depend on your lights and soil. LED runs cooler, so you might want more perlite for drainage, whereas HPS can be a lot warmer and will help evaporate that bit quicker. The base soil can make a difference too, some brands come pre-mixed with perlite etc. for drainage.

Bear in mind cannabis doesn't like being over-watered so good drainage won't hurt.