Thread: Bottom Feeding smartpots via perlite.

Thanks

Default Bottom Feeding smartpots via perlite.

Hello all,

I have 6 x 37L smart pots growing White Widow X Big Bud and Lemon Kush they are sitting in 1.5" deep plastic runoff trays, I have been keeping the trays filled with water to increase RH in the tent which has been working well. The pots are raised up and not touching the water, In the past day or so the water level has dropped and a scummy film has developed along with a slight damp smell. Is this anything to worry about?

I had a plan to line the trays with landscape fabric the trays will then be filled with perlite to allow the roots to grow through the bottom of the fabric pots. Landscape fabric will also cover the perlite top layer to prevent algae growth.

The trays are fairly shallow so they wont hold that much water, I will fill the trays 0.5" full and leave a 1" layer of non submerged perlite for the roots to reach through. The trays hold 30L so I will fill them with approx 10L. I have read that bottom feeding nutes is inadvisable as this encourages the growth of nasties in the trays.

In the long run how will the damp problem develop, the trays cant be easily removed and cleaned, will I run in to mould issues?

I was thinking about installing a drain pipe so I could flush the trays without removing them from the tent. Make hole in each tray and secure some flexible airpump tubing with silicon adhesive.

I know this method is used by a few growers, how do you combat anaerobic bacteria/mould growth in your trays, I don't fancy using hydrogen peroxide as this is an organic grow. Could I install an airstone in each tray to aid in oxygenating the water. I have two 6" airstones and a 6w airpump, assuming 1W per gal of water to allow for a good level of oxygenation it seems like the specs fit.

Comments and advice welcome.

-OCF

Thanks

Forgot to mention I am growing in soil, Verve and Perlite 3:1 ratio

Thanks

bump, no comments at all??

Any simple advice on keeping a reservoir clean, I've read that a hempy bucket rez stays clean because it is constantly topped up. I am trying to fit drain tubes to the trays to allow me to flush them but its proving difficult to get it fitted well.