Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: air rifles for rats and rabbits...

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,585 Times

Default air rifles for rats and rabbits...

OK so i have a rat infestation.. in the garage and back of the house, the lads are doing the bins and rats are flying out of the bags... every week for the last few weeks... they are getting in round the back of the house and i have a good idea some are nesting in the garage... i cant put poison down cos of the dogs, they kill any that get into the side garden but i dont like them doing it for obvious reasons such as poisoning and disease so my only option is to trap them, or shoot them and i think a half decent air rifle would help me out here and i want to do some target shooting as well.. dont really want too spend over £500 on the full set up.. bit of a pain as they cant be sent in the post in the uk but i have a dealer nearby i can have it delivered to so not a problem..

also, i have a fuck load of rabbits on my property that i want to shoot and eat.. also feed my dogs, as there are fucking loads.... so what i am looking for is something that is preferably good for both, short range say 10/20m for rats probably a bit further for the rabbits... something with a half decent set of optics..

so any suggestions.. and oxy, if you read this i think the crossbow would be overkill lmfao..

peace.. IJ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

ggotch (01-03-16), GRIMER (02-03-16), M_C (01-03-16), satnavsatnav (10-03-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,526 Times

Wierach hk90 will do the job well, I don't use them I just use the dogs to hunt everything and they a bit partial to the odd rat tho there's usually not much left once they get one oh n just for your info the poison the environmental health use is dog friendly

Rabbit will not sustain u or your dogs as there is no nutritional value to them so remember to eat other meat with it like game pie

The Aspie Toker Guest

When you're shooting at them, play this...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

ggotch (01-03-16), walshy (01-03-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Old Pioneer View Post
    Wierach hk90 will do the job well, I don't use them I just use the dogs to hunt everything and they a bit partial to the odd rat tho there's usually not much left once they get one oh n just for your info the poison the environmental health use is dog friendly

Rabbit will not sustain u or your dogs as there is no nutritional value to them so remember to eat other meat with it like game pie
    yeah i do like a rabbit stew... my dogs are show dogs mate, not that i show them any more so unless they get hold of something then i dont encourage them too.. not that they aint game or capable of doing the job, they are the more athletic type staffies not the block headed dumbass type that couldn't fight their shadow lol

nice one on the gun info, will look into them... its something for me to do as well... i will just put up a board with some peanut butter and other crap by it to attract them and set up my fishing bivvy as hide and sit and wait for the cints to show, when they do its lights out.. not very sporting but thats not the aim lol for the rabbits it will be just the odd ones i see and can get a shot off at, i wont actively go hunting for them although there are loads off them out in my garden the bastards lol

cheers IJ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    When you're shooting at them, play this...
    lmao mate that song cracks me up.. lol

peace.. IJ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ironjustice For This Useful Post:

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ironjustice View Post
    lmao mate that song cracks me up.. lol

peace.. IJ
    The last time I was hunting rabbits, I shot myself in the foot.

Take your budget for a new rifle and spend it on an old 2nd hand BSA Meteor.
    (Though, if you live in Scotland, you might want to hold off on an air rifle - They're bringing new laws in, in December).

Or get a catapult.
    There's a sense of achievement when you take out a rat with a catty!!!
    Last edited by jericho; 02-03-16 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,354 Times

if your close to edinburgh i can bring a few rifles and the catapult and set up a few spring traps for the rabbits you can reset?

got to love a mission lol
    THERE ARE MANY GOOD REASONS FOR DRINKING
    AND ONE HAS JUST ENTERED MY HEAD
    IF A FELLOW CANT DRINK WHEN HES LIVING
    HOW THE HELL, CAN HE DRINK, WHEN HES DEAD....

5 incredable bulk in 60/40, 25ltr air pots, scrogged
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-pots-scrogged
    FINNISHED
    FAST AND VAST DIARY GROWN IN COCO
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...rown-by-GRIMER
    FINNISHED

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,354 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    Take your budget for a new rifle and spend it on an old 2nd hand BSA Meteor.
    (Though, if you live in Scotland, you might want to hold off on an air rifle - They're bringing new laws in, in December).

Or get a catapult.
    There's a sense of achievement when you take out a rat with a catty!!!
    whats the new laws that are coming out mate?

I had trouble believing it when i first read it, but...

New legislation which will tighten access to airguns will come into force at the end of the year, the Scottish government has announced.
    It will be a criminal offence to have an air weapon without a licence or permit from 31 December 2016.
    Under the new legislation approved by Holyrood last June, anyone found guilty of the new offence could be fined or face up to two years in prison.
    Owners will have six months to licence their weapons before the law changes.
    They will be able to apply to Police Scotland for an air weapon certificate from 1 July.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-35668626

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jericho For This Useful Post:

GRIMER (02-03-16)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast