Thread: How to make a ring drip system " halo type "

BlackJack Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Default How to make a ring drip system " halo type "

I've been using this drip system for awhile now. I use 9" rings because I grow in air pots and like to have the spray farther away from the stem. Hope this helps you growers that doesn't have access to those sold.

Materials needed:

1/2" ID black tubing (12.7mm)
    barbed "T" 1/2" OD (plastic) (12.7mm)
    1/2" hose clamps
    3/64" drill bit (1.19mm)
    drill or drill press

How to make a 9" Dia. ring: (228.6mm)

You need 26 1/2" (673.1mm) black tubing. Attach each end of the hose to the "T" and tighten each end with a hose clamp.....don't over tighten Now comes the fun part. You want a series of three holes every 1 3/4" (44.45mm). Drill the first one at the bottom center of the hose. Then drill another hole 1/4" (10.16mm) on either side of the first on a 45 degree angle. Repeat until you have gone around the ring.

Helpful hints:

use a sharp drill bit and make sure the holes are drilled clean, but don't enlarge the holes. I use three legs I make out of coat hanger wire. The higher the ring the wider the spray. experiment.
    I always cover the top of the pot with 1/2-1" of clay balls so as to not make drainage ditches in the pot. I "highly" suggest you use an inline on/off knob to regulate the flow of water to the plant.

USING MORE THAN ONE RING AT A TIME

when using more than one at a time you will need a baffle. The one I use is plastic with 4-1/2" outlets and the supply is 3/4". If you do a test run and get the on /off knobs postioned correctly, you can run each amounts of liquid to each plant. Without the knobs more food will go to the closest plants to the baffle and the farther ones will starve. It will take a couple trial runs before all outlets deliver the same amount of food to each plant. I use a timer to automate the system.

Hope this helps. I'll be glad to answer any questions and if someone else has any input please feel free.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dogman For This Useful Post:

jericho (07-03-16), MrG (06-03-16), M_C (06-03-16), Oxy (06-03-16), sir_dance_alot (30-04-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,555 Times

Nicely done dogman. How you doing old bean?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

dogman (06-03-16)

BlackJack Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Hey buddy. Long time . Life is a challenge now a days. Take care.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dogman For This Useful Post:

MrG (06-03-16)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,555 Times

Indeed it is sir. All ok I hope?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrG For This Useful Post:

dogman (07-03-16)