Thread: Fan Controller - which does not cause vibrations at low speed

Thanks

Default Fan Controller - which does not cause vibrations at low speed

Hello

I have a systemair RVK 250E2-XL-Fan 10" Fan.

I want to get a Fan Controller, Preferably with temp control.

However I have heard about the main issue with controllers - That some cause the fans to make a bad vibrating noise when operating at low speeds.

Apparently a Variac type controller doesnt cause the vibrating noises, - is this true? and also this controller allows any speed, whereas the others have maybe 5 or so preset speeds.

Also the Primair Temperature Controller has some ratings, But does this Controller cause the fan to make a vibrating noise I speak of above?

Some others people talk about are the Smscom or the official STL5 by Systemair

What can you guys recommend?
    Last edited by M_C; 10-03-16 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Link removal

White Warg Guest

Get yourself a good 5-step controller, like EBay 130591386004.

Instead of wiring the fan directly in, you can cut a 2-way extension cord in half, where you would wire a fan in wire the 2-way: that way you can plug two fans (intake, extraction) into the same controller. Fans want to be different sizes but not overly so. Ensure both amps combined are under the rating of the controller; with a good quality fan like yours it's not likely to be an issue, but still check.

White Warg Guest

If you want a full variac no-hum temperature-sensitive controller, look to Bud Lightyear's DIY build. Either build it up or hire someone to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to White Warg For This Useful Post:

M_C (10-03-16)

Thanks

Default Fan Controller - which does not cause vibrations at low speed

I'll be building a simple 1A Variac fan controller for a friend this afternoon! I've run one of these for years! Very effective! Variacs are good solid units that will last you a lifetime!

Wattbitts 1A Variac £49.26
    Screwfix Enclosure £4.85
    Screwfix Glands £1.35
    Wilko Twin Plug ext £4.99
    Total cost £60.45
    Last edited by JinkysOars; 10-03-16 at 02:18 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JinkysOars For This Useful Post:

M_C (10-03-16), RASTA (24-08-19)